PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   [HOW TO] wp7 device as USB drive (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=142409)

eric12341 04-02-2011 07:56 AM

[HOW TO] wp7 device as USB drive

I found a trick that will enable the usage of any wp7 Device as a USB drive.
Use your Windows Phone 7 device as a portable USB drive | MobileTechWorld

However this will only work on computers with the Zune software installed otherwise u can just enter all the values manually.

Dr.8820 04-02-2011 07:59 AM

Re: [HOW TO] wp7 device as USB drive

going to check this out, thanks!

TexasAggie97 04-04-2011 09:40 AM

THANKS! I miss that option that I used to have on WM6! I need to trasnfer over Word & Excel files.

boredandtattooed 04-04-2011 10:21 AM

guess you missed this back in NOV when we covered it PPCGeeks.com » WP7 has Mass Storage Capabilities

mobiletechworld is even one of the cited sources on PPCGs news article.... just so you know this is ZUNE being hacked, not really wp7.. this hack has been around for atleast a few years.. just so happens it works on Zune installed WP7(which is all of them)..

eric12341 04-04-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 2079323)
guess you missed this back in NOV when we covered it PPCGeeks.com » WP7 has Mass Storage Capabilities

mobiletechworld is even one of the cited sources on PPCGs news article.... just so you know this is ZUNE being hacked, not really wp7.. this hack has been around for atleast a few years.. just so happens it works on Zune installed WP7(which is all of them)..

well here it is again brought back to light where everyone who just bought a wp7 device to easily see it instead of paging through the front page.

esqueue 08-06-2011 10:06 PM

bump as it seems that many don't know of this. I didn't know until a few weeks ago.

eric12341 08-07-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esqueue (Post 2135707)
bump as it seems that many don't know of this. I didn't know until a few weeks ago.

yea and now ur plugging it all over the place which is good. there's also another solution that's coming soon.

The return of USB storage to Windows Phone | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

DavidinCT 08-08-2011 02:55 PM

The thing is, you can't access the data that you put on the phone on the phone.

Sucks...

esqueue 08-08-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 2136078)
The thing is, you can't access the data that you put on the phone on the phone.

Sucks...

You can only access certain things such as multimedia. I've verified that putting podcasts and video's (correctly encoded) will be read from zune if put in their correct folders.

Yeah, you don't have access to all the phone's data though. Most likely something done by MS to avoid the deletion of important files or piracy. Who knows. A side effect of this is that you can also access the same folders of your zune hd.

Way way OT: time to update my phone list and get rid of that bleach avatar. I now despise that anime.

DavidinCT 08-09-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esqueue (Post 2136156)
You can only access certain things such as multimedia. I've verified that putting podcasts and video's (correctly encoded) will be read from zune if put in their correct folders.

Yeah, you don't have access to all the phone's data though. Most likely something done by MS to avoid the deletion of important files or piracy. Who knows. A side effect of this is that you can also access the same folders of your zune hd.

Way way OT: time to update my phone list and get rid of that bleach avatar. I now despise that anime.

I just really wanted to be able to put DOC, PDF, XLS files on there and be able to read them in office...but, of course the only way to use private personal files is put them on a indexing cloud service (your data is indexed for faster searches but, who knows who can access that data).

Is there no Secure way to transfter files on a local machine to your phone ?

This is what I was really hoping this would offer....but, the only way to access your personal files is to upload them to a website. Really not too secure in my eyes...