PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
Re: How Would You Rank Windows Phone 7 With The iPhone and Android?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
so now we are picking on wp7 because of lack of LED notifications? jaja wow i dont think iOS has them presently either, and xbox live games run circles around any iOS game so who cares about some angry birds? and besides its coming anyway, wifi isnt always on because it runs more battery but i do think u need wifi to download the pushed updates.
Calm down there! I'm not picking on WP7. Yeah, I have complaints about it, and I listed those, but I also said the things I like about it. I still own my Surround and plan on keeping it.

WiFi usually uses less battery than 3G but not as little as Edge. The updates are usually going to come through Zune Desktop, at least so far. You do need WiFi to download large apps from the Market. This could be an At&t limitation though, I'm not sure.

I have complaints about Android too and iOS, but this thread is mainly about WP7, so that's why I focused on those.

I like how fluid the OS is compared to Android and the animations. Everything looks really refined and just flows compared to Android.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (WP7 Beta Tester: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; HD7))

The WiFi download thing is wp7, as I had to do the same with tmobile .
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I am a Patriot
Pocket PC: touchdiamond<treo800<touchpro<touchpro2<arrive<evo
Carrier: sprint

rrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
Calm down there! I'm not picking on WP7. Yeah, I have complaints about it, and I listed those, but I also said the things I like about it. I still own my Surround and plan on keeping it.

WiFi usually uses less battery than 3G but not as little as Edge. The updates are usually going to come through Zune Desktop, at least so far. You do need WiFi to download large apps from the Market. This could be an At&t limitation though, I'm not sure.

I have complaints about Android too and iOS, but this thread is mainly about WP7, so that's why I focused on those.

I like how fluid the OS is compared to Android and the animations. Everything looks really refined and just flows compared to Android.

i say thanks for the inside info on all 3 os's thats the kinda stuff i wanna know about b4 i pick up a new device .. again thank you
Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post

I'm with you on that, those sleek animations and overall fluidity and integration are something I really like and I think makes WP7 stand apart from the others, I can't wait till they expand on that with twitter integration on Mango,

add some apps, take out the bugs, put in multitasking and flash support and this thing can be a beast to reckon with!

how's the screen on that surround?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

10,000 apps is plenty for now multitasking,flash and sliverlight(which is superior to flash) are all going to be added in mango or when IE9M comes, wp7 will catch up to the competition fast. the problem is u still decided to compare a 100% original OS in its early stage to less original OSes that have been out for at least 2 years even when admitting urself that it wasnt fair. u still havent addressed why u decided to go against ur word and do this.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)

Quote:
iOS and Android arent even real, they werent built from code or kernels that were solely invented by themselves. wp7 is based off winCE6.0 (soon to be based off windows embedded compact 7) it was built entirely by MS without using anyone else's kernel.
Umm...there is nothing wrong with using open source, everything comes with a License, as long as you follow the license its all fair, the more people that can contribute to an OS the better it gets....for the record..M$ kernel is not 100% theirs either..they have licenses on many aspects of their OS and kernel...sure they built it from scratch, but its not 100% theirs either...right now there are so many patents for so many things its impossible to make anything without overlapping in some areas..

Quote:
android was built based off linux (which makes linux-lunatics love it too) and also with STOLEN java code from oracle. they know they did this no matter how much they and all the other fandroids and linux-lunatics out there may deny it.
Again your completely misunderstanding...no one stole any code..the code was open source..not stolen...whats happening is license incompatibility..aka the GPL was not compatible with the Apache open source license..they are BOTH open source...its just a matter of license compatibility...

Quote:
and iOS was built off the same principle as OS X which is based off unix, theses OSes are NOT even original.
Unix and Linux are open source..they are original in their own sense of having the entire world developing them..using them as a core is not a bad thing..an no one cares about "originality"..what we care about is things working properly..if a wheel works..why try to reinvent it? sure you can if you want to..but its not fair to blame others for using a wheel :/

Quote:
the reason for such apps is to justify the browsers lack of power to access real webpages and once IE9 mobile comes out it will blow both the android and iOS browsers out of the water (just like IE9 desktop is currently doing with chrome,firefox and safari).
um..IE9 is a big step up..but in no way is it blowing the other browsers out of the water..each one has their strength..for one Chrome is only browser that has came out unhackable...for now...and FireFox 4 is already on Android and Maemo which is on par with IE9 which still isn't out for mobile..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 03-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Umm...there is nothing wrong with using open source, everything comes with a License, as long as you follow the license its all fair, the more people that can contribute to an OS the better it gets....for the record..M$ kernel is not 100% theirs either..they have licenses on many aspects of their OS and kernel...sure they built it from scratch, but its not 100% theirs either...right now there are so many patents for so many things its impossible to make anything without overlapping in some areas..

Again your completely misunderstanding...no one stole any code..the code was open source..not stolen...whats happening is license incompatibility..aka the GPL was not compatible with the Apache open source license..they are BOTH open source...its just a matter of license compatibility...

Unix and Linux are open source..they are original in their own sense of having the entire world developing them..using them as a core is not a bad thing..an no one cares about "originality"..what we care about is things working properly..if a wheel works..why try to reinvent it? sure you can if you want to..but its not fair to blame others for using a wheel :/

um..IE9 is a big step up..but in no way is it blowing the other browsers out of the water..each one has their strength..for one Chrome is only browser that has came out unhackable...for now...and FireFox 4 is already on Android and Maemo which is on par with IE9 which still isn't out for mobile..
what code did MS use that wasnt entirely theirs? i would like to have a source for that and even so its still more original than OS X,linux,android and iOS will ever be. i tried the new versions of chrome and it still would lock up on my 1gb RAM box more than IE9 would and firefox locked up on me more than them both combined, IE9 is set to go final this month so we shall see where it stands then and i wouldnt be surpriesed if IE9M came out in the may-july timeframe, it will surely blow the default android and iOS browsers out of the water.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
what code did MS use that wasnt entirely theirs? i would like to have a source for that and even so its still more original than OS X,linux,android and iOS will ever be.
I dont see what is wrong with open source..it works on the policy that multiple companies can work together to develop linux/unix and etc to make it the best it can be..

here is a list of companies that contributed to linux and how much:

Red Hat: 12.3%
IBM: 7.6%
Novell: 7.6%
Intel: 5.3%
Independent consultant: 2.5%
Oracle: 2.4%
Linux Foundation: 1.6%
SGI 1.6%
Parallels 1.3%
Renesas Technology: 1.3%
Academia: 1.2%
Fujitsu: 1.1%
MontaVista: 1.1%
MIPS Technologies: 1.1%
Analog Devices: 1.0%
HP: 1.0%

see...its a global effort to make the OS the best it can be..then its up to each retailer to customize it to their personal need...so you can't say.."its not original"..because it is original in itself...Android is a branch of this...so Android does not even belong to Google...Google is just the top developer for Android...you can yourself take Android and customize it and sell phones with it without Google's permission...you just have to give them credit for their work...(it been done if youve seen those $100 tablets appear at retail stores...Google dont support those)

Quote:
i tried the new versions of chrome and it still would lock up on my 1gb RAM box more than IE9 would and firefox locked up on me more than them both combined, IE9 is set to go final this month so we shall see where it stands then
Well 1gb ram doesnt tell us much...anyways..when you say latest..you used the beta versions? aka Firefox 4 RC and Chrome 11? or did you compare it to the current versions that are out?

Thing is..IE9 has hardware acceleration which is introduced only in FF4 and disabled by default in Chrome 10 and below(you can enable it)..so you have to use the beta versions if you plan to be fair..FF4 is also coming out March-April..not sure about Chrome 11 but my guess is soon too..

Quote:
and i wouldnt be surpriesed if IE9M came out in the may-july timeframe, it will surely blow the default android and iOS browsers out of the water.
I dont know about that...see one of the things that makes IE9 fast is that it optimizes on multiple cores loading the JavaScript data..at the moment thats not possible as WP7 does not have multiple cores yet until the Mango Update?

Next thing is while IE9 is a HUGE improvement over the previous browsers..currently from what Ive seen does not do well with supporting HTML5...

Desktop IE9 RC had a score of 130 + 5 for the desktop browser...when I tested Android 2.2 browser I got a score of 182 + 0...aka even if IE9M will win out in speed over the current browsers it is still behind in terms of HTML5 support...

Few mobile browsers I tested:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/1996898-post13.html

By the time IE9M is released there may be newer browser versions implemented..that said, iOS4.2 Safari already is 206 + 7 which is pretty good for a stock browser...Though the one with the best score for Stock browsers is the BB 6 ironically with score of 233 + 1...

In terms of all browsers Mobile FF4 is the winner with score of 235 + 9

Last edited by gTen; 03-12-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:39 PM
I am a Patriot
Pocket PC: touchdiamond<treo800<touchpro<touchpro2<arrive<evo
Carrier: sprint

rrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIP

the saga continues ...
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:03 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrjskj View Post
the saga continues ...
I am not trying to argue which platform is better (even though it is the topic of this thread)...all I am doing is correcting what I feel incorrect..if I see someone saying something is incorrect about WP7 I would correct that too...

Last edited by gTen; 03-13-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions