PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How Would You Rank Windows Phone 7 With The iPhone and Android?

i wasn't criticizing u i was criticizing orange for what seemed to be a contradictory post. he says WP7 isn't fair to be ranked then goes on to rank it.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:17 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (WP7 Beta Tester: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; HD7))

Let's all hold hands and sing a chorus of " holiday " by Madonna !
Old 03-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

I have both a Surround and a Nexus One with Gingerbread. I've used a few Android phones and easily recommend them to people. I've gotten quite a few people to switch to Android, even a few iPhone users and they couldn't be happier.

With that said, when I use my Surround, I usually can't wait to go back to Android just because I'm more productive with it. WP7 still needs to grow and get more apps.

I love it as a music device (assuming you can get used to Zune Desktop) and for the XBox Live games. I like that you can already stream Netflix on it, which you can't do with Android yet. The tiles don't really both me and get their job done. As more apps come out, scrolling through them will become more tedious since it lists each app on a single line.

No WP7 phone seems to have LED notifications yet (oddly enough though, I heard that the port to the HD2 has them). The Surround has it for missed calls, but not emails/SMS, which I don't understand. For advertising that you can "get in and get out", it seems pointless to have to turn the screen on every time just to check for messages instead of just looking for a flashing LED.

Editing Office docs is nothing like it was on WM. You can't sync them through Zune and there's no mass storage. You can't edit them on the "cloud" (SkyDrive) yet either. So all you can do is email it to yourself.

Facebook integration is pretty nice for regular status updates, but you still need the app if you want to read/reply to messages.

Other things I miss are offline TTS navigation (like Navigon/TomTom/iGo/etc). Bing Maps looks nice but is hardly functional as a navigation device like Google Maps is.

My Surround also doesn't have a 2G/3G toggle, which can come in handy on At&t/T-Mobile. There's also no "WiFi always-on" like there is on Android. The only time it comes on is when the screen is on, so you can use more wireless data than you can on Android.

Also some of the good Android games aren't available yet, like Andry Birds. Word With Friends also just came out for Android and you can even play iPhone users...it would be nice if they released it for WP7 too and you could play all 3 platforms. They Have AlphaJax and some other one, but you can only play it with other WP7 users.

Like someone else said, no WiFi tether yet either.

With all that though, I think MS has a great start if they play their cards right. Would I recommend it to someone? It depends on that person's needs and what they're coming from.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:02 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
i wasn't criticizing u i was criticizing orange for what seemed to be a contradictory post. he says WP7 isn't fair to be ranked then goes on to rank it.
well ya quoted me with his post so....
Old 03-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

eric,

my point was that iOS and Android slaughter WP7 and why, BUT that it's not fair to say that is is a fair comparison based on the age of the OS. Also you failed to notice that I was giving more of a post Mango idea of the operating systems and outlining more general differences in the usage and purpose of each OS.

fyi "self contradictory" is redundant since a contradiction in nature refers to someone's present statement/action not agreeing with an earlier statement/action by the same individual.

eric,

my point was that iOS and Android slaughter WP7 and why, BUT that it's not fair to say that is is a fair comparison based on the age of the OS. Also you failed to notice that I was giving more of a post Mango idea of the operating systems and outlining more general differences in the usage and purpose of each OS.

fyi "self contradictory" is redundant since a contradiction in nature refers to someone's present statement/action not agreeing with an earlier statement/action by the same individual.

as to the supposed security of WP7 over Android and iOS, wasn't it just a few weeks ago that someone hacked into and found a way to, with one click, download any app (paid of free) onto their WP7 phone and easily circumvent MS's "security" and pirate apps, then shared the exploit with MS?

being utterly locked down, not allowing devs the APIs they need to develop more awesome apps, and guard-dogging the marketplace isn't actually safer in any practical sense. An iPhone, even with ASLR and a locked OS, can still be hacked into. A WP7 device could easily be circumvented and so can the marketplace by a very experienced hacker.

I do agree with Darren that WP7 is off to a good start, no OS starts out perfect, Android and iOS still have flaws, but right now they are the better choice.

In two years let's talk, I may just have a phone that ONLY runs WP7 instead of one that runs WP7, Android, and WM6.5.3
Old 03-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

@ frosty, great write-up! i justed wanted to touch on something you said about led notifications....i get a green flashing one like the tp2 does when i get a text on the hd7. i have a sound set for it, but nothing else...maybe that triggers the led...?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
@ frosty, great write-up! i justed wanted to touch on something you said about led notifications....i get a green flashing one like the tp2 does when i get a text on the hd7. i have a sound set for it, but nothing else...maybe that triggers the led...?
I have a sound for mine too. Maybe that's why it works for the HD2 too then, since its ROM is based off of the HD7.

I know the Focus doesn't have one and my Surround only does missed calls.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:03 PM

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
I have a sound for mine too. Maybe that's why it works for the HD2 too then, since its ROM is based off of the HD7.

I know the Focus doesn't have one and my Surround only does missed calls.
im pretty sure the HD2 ROM was ripped from the Mozart
Old 03-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
well ya quoted me with his post so....
it was an accident. I'll go back and edit it
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
eric,

eric,

as to the supposed security of WP7 over Android and iOS, wasn't it just a few weeks ago that someone hacked into and found a way to, with one click, download any app (paid of free) onto their WP7 phone and easily circumvent MS's "security" and pirate apps, then shared the exploit with MS?

being utterly locked down, not allowing devs the APIs they need to develop more awesome apps, and guard-dogging the marketplace isn't actually safer in any practical sense. An iPhone, even with ASLR and a locked OS, can still be hacked into. A WP7 device could easily be circumvented and so can the marketplace by a very experienced hacker.

I do agree with Darren that WP7 is off to a good start, no OS starts out perfect, Android and iOS still have flaws, but right now they are the better choice.

In two years let's talk, I may just have a phone that ONLY runs WP7 instead of one that runs WP7, Android, and WM6.5.3
iOS and Android arent even real, they werent built from code or kernels that were solely invented by themselves. wp7 is based off winCE6.0 (soon to be based off windows embedded compact 7) it was built entirely by MS without using anyone else's kernel. android was built based off linux (which makes linux-lunatics love it too) and also with STOLEN java code from oracle. they know they did this no matter how much they and all the other fandroids and linux-lunatics out there may deny it. and iOS was built off the same principle as OS X which is based off unix, theses OSes are NOT even original. the point is u did contradict urself by saying that it wasnt fair to compare them then u go on and compare them. what kinda desamadre is that eh?and as for apps, im seeing many great apps that werent previously for WM that were also on android and iOS that are on wp7 so i dont know where u get that from and most of the apps in that app store are more than likely repetitive anyway. the reason for such apps is to justify the browsers lack of power to access real webpages and once IE9 mobile comes out it will blow both the android and iOS browsers out of the water (just like IE9 desktop is currently doing with chrome,firefox and safari).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
I have both a Surround and a Nexus One with Gingerbread. I've used a few Android phones and easily recommend them to people. I've gotten quite a few people to switch to Android, even a few iPhone users and they couldn't be happier.

With that said, when I use my Surround, I usually can't wait to go back to Android just because I'm more productive with it. WP7 still needs to grow and get more apps.

I love it as a music device (assuming you can get used to Zune Desktop) and for the XBox Live games. I like that you can already stream Netflix on it, which you can't do with Android yet. The tiles don't really both me and get their job done. As more apps come out, scrolling through them will become more tedious since it lists each app on a single line.

No WP7 phone seems to have LED notifications yet (oddly enough though, I heard that the port to the HD2 has them). The Surround has it for missed calls, but not emails/SMS, which I don't understand. For advertising that you can "get in and get out", it seems pointless to have to turn the screen on every time just to check for messages instead of just looking for a flashing LED.

Editing Office docs is nothing like it was on WM. You can't sync them through Zune and there's no mass storage. You can't edit them on the "cloud" (SkyDrive) yet either. So all you can do is email it to yourself.

Facebook integration is pretty nice for regular status updates, but you still need the app if you want to read/reply to messages.

Other things I miss are offline TTS navigation (like Navigon/TomTom/iGo/etc). Bing Maps looks nice but is hardly functional as a navigation device like Google Maps is.

My Surround also doesn't have a 2G/3G toggle, which can come in handy on At&t/T-Mobile. There's also no "WiFi always-on" like there is on Android. The only time it comes on is when the screen is on, so you can use more wireless data than you can on Android.

Also some of the good Android games aren't available yet, like Andry Birds. Word With Friends also just came out for Android and you can even play iPhone users...it would be nice if they released it for WP7 too and you could play all 3 platforms. They Have AlphaJax and some other one, but you can only play it with other WP7 users.

Like someone else said, no WiFi tether yet either.

With all that though, I think MS has a great start if they play their cards right. Would I recommend it to someone? It depends on that person's needs and what they're coming from.
so now we are picking on wp7 because of lack of LED notifications? jaja wow i dont think iOS has them presently either, and xbox live games run circles around any iOS game so who cares about some angry birds? and besides its coming anyway, wifi isnt always on because it runs more battery but i do think u need wifi to download the pushed updates.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
it was an accident. I'll go back and edit it

iOS and Android arent even real, they werent built from code or kernels that were solely invented by themselves. wp7 is based off winCE6.0 (soon to be based off windows embedded compact 7) it was built entirely by MS without using anyone else's kernel. android was built based off linux (which makes linux-lunatics love it too) and also with STOLEN java code from oracle. they know they did this no matter how much they and all the other fandroids and linux-lunatics out there may deny it. and iOS was built off the same principle as OS X which is based off unix, theses OSes are NOT even original. the point is u did contradict urself by saying that it wasnt fair to compare them then u go on and compare them. what kinda desamadre is that eh?and as for apps, im seeing many great apps that werent previously for WM that were also on android and iOS that are on wp7 so i dont know where u get that from and most of the apps in that app store are more than likely repetitive anyway. the reason for such apps is to justify the browsers lack of power to access real webpages and once IE9 mobile comes out it will blow both the android and iOS browsers out of the water (just like IE9 desktop is currently doing with chrome,firefox and safari).

so now we are picking on wp7 because of lack of LED notifications? jaja wow i dont think iOS has them presently either, and xbox live games run circles around any iOS game so who cares about some angry birds? and besides its coming anyway, wifi isnt always on because it runs more battery but i do think u need wifi to download the pushed updates.

ok so IE9 when it comes out in a year might be pretty decent, we'll see where the Android browser and Sarafi are.

The fact that Android is based of the linux kernel and iOS is based off unix is not relevant here, they are still better operating systems at the moment and for at least a couple of years. How does writing all of your code "from scratch" make things any better than basing it off of an efficient open-source operating system? WM6.x was WinCE based, and you're going to tell me it's the paragon of efficiency and a great user-end experience? Not if you're not a power user like we are, most people can't figure out heads or tails on a WM6.x phone.

Don't even try to tell me WP7 games can even approach the quantity or quality of iOS games, it's mostly just a bunch of puzzle games from what I can tell, every time I go in to marketplace to download a new game or two, they are not even on the same level as iOS games, and they don't run half as well on a 1ghz snapdragon as they do on a 600mhz apple chip (3GS) or a 900mhz A4 (iPhone 4).

MS admitted themselves that WP7 will be "beta" for 5 years before it gets to where they want. By that time Android will be on Pancake or something and iOS will be version 7 or 8 with all sorts of new features and phones, then we'll have to see what's really what.

the reason iOS doesn't have LED notifications is because iPhones don't have LEDs... makes it kinda hard don't ya think? It would be very easy to add it to iOS code when/if they put those blinking lights on their phones. WP7 devices DO have LEDs and the code obviously needs more work. I am not mad at MS for putting out a beta stage OS because the market is the ultimate beta tester, hell Cupcake came out with all sorts of goofy bugs.

The point here is that in a practical sense iOS and Android blow WP7 out of the water with features, phones, specs, market share, and popularity. I don't know a single person who owns a WP7 phones.

having said ALL of that, i enjoy running WP7 on my phone and do like the good things about it that iOS and Android don't currently have, it's just that because it's a new-born it's bug ridden, not as "secure" as MS would like you to believe, and lacking a few essential features. And because the 7008 update was an epic failure, they pushed the damn NoDo update back again to make sure they don't brick anyones phone. Who the hell knows when Mango will actually get released.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions