PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: env touch...previous: mogul, titan, touch
Carrier: verizon

teamgood is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WP7 device without service?

I am interested in getting into Windows Phone 7, but first I am curious what is functional on a WP7 phone without activating cell and data service for it. Does anyone know if everything is functional using wifi for things that require data? So essentially it'd be like an ipod touch - allowing full use of the device and access to marketplace. I would like to test out some apps I'm making and play around on it, but don't need another phone contract at this point in time. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:59 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

timezone is becoming a great contributor
Re: WP7 device without service?

Unlike Apple who I believe forces one to have a phone plan before using Wifi is not an issue with these phones. Now I am not 100% sure but you do have some issues. First, I have an old 6.5 phone that at the moment I still use for GPS. With a Wifi connection I can use anything on the phone. I believe it is still true with these new phones.

Now the issue. If you get a phone without a contract you are paying full price. A guess but I bet the return time window is short and if out of the box you may just get a store credit. What if it gets scratched? With a phone contract you get 14 to 30 days to test. Even with plans from two cell companies for 14 days it will not cost as much as the potential loss from purchasing a phone at full price. If you are 90% sure you will switch and just want to test then I think having two plans for a short while is really the better deal. I made a similar move by testing the HTC HD7 with Tmobile. I had the additional issue of deciding to leave Sprint. I tested with a Tmobile number and within a week I made the switch and ported my Sprint number to Tmobile. The Windows Phone 7 on an HD7 is fantastic. I bet you are going to love the new OS. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

plus one for wp7 and the hd7.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: env touch...previous: mogul, titan, touch
Carrier: verizon
Threadstarter

teamgood is a n00b

Thanks for the replies. I have played with the HD7 some and it is VERY nice indeed. I'm contracted to Verizon for another 7 months so there won't be any jumping to T-mobile any time soon. CDMA WP7 are very slow in arriving! They've should've launched CDMA windows phones to get a head start before they got the iphone...now they'll be ignored mainly when they ever do get them.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

the backlash you see in the threads are usually because they want it and can't have it yet . look how many people that bashed the iphone change their tune when verizon said they're getting it, trust me, whenever wp7 goes cdma, you'll like it....it just works!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

rhogue is a n00b

Without a dataplan, you would have to just connect it to Zune on your computer so you could download apps and music. It would essentially become a Zune with many more apps.

I am currently running the HD2 with the WP7 OS and without a SIM card I can still use it to play games, listen to Music and take pictures. Of course, without the SIM card the skydrive integration won't work and I can't download or stream music. . .
Old 02-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

tiny17 is a n00b

I am using a Samsung Focus without sim, and everything but phone/text works without an issue. GPS also works perfectly, but clearly can't download maps on the go, unless I set up a hotspot using my diamond.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions