PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Opera/9.70 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) TMO-US_LEO)

I keep telling folks to use it first then judge. my wife has the evo and loves it, but the facebook app on wp7 blows hers away. there are plenty of apps like that, that's why wp7 isn't doomed, just give it time. what I don't get is the fandroids coming in a wp7 thread and ain't even tried it lol.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Re: A call to arms - Windows 7 phone succeeds

Actually I have tried it... and one app isnt too convincing when the phone doesnt even have general smartphone functions. *shrug* I havent seen not even one article that was on the positive side when it comes to sales for WP7. I think you can pretty much agree no matter how much you love WP7 its always going to be at least the 4th fiddle behind IOS, Android and RIM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Actually I have tried it... and one app isnt too convincing when the phone doesnt even have general smartphone functions. *shrug* I havent seen not even one article that was on the positive side when it comes to sales for WP7. I think you can pretty much agree no matter how much you love WP7 its always going to be at least the 4th fiddle behind IOS, Android and RIM.
Sure, your also talking a phone that has been on the market for 4-5 months(?) vs. phones that have been out for years. WP7 is all new, so Windows Mobile or PocketPC don't count here in the numbers, where it's always been around number 4 or 5 anyway behind IOS, Android and Rim anyway.

This site would not exist if there was not a following behind Windows Mobile or PocketPC (PocketPC=PPC, aka PPCgeeks). Love it or hate it, it's not going anywhere.

Will Windows Phone 7 take over IOS overnight?? Hell no or Android, Nope.

So far, reviews are VERY positive on WP7, over all people who own it claim it's smoother and faster than Android(a locked factory OEM phone and not people who played with it in a store for 20 min) and it has better quality apps in it's market place when looking at IOS or Android (Who needs 99K of fart apps ?).

I do honestly feel after a few years (once it has full carrier support with a good selection for a while), as long as Microsoft does not screw it up and the market place keeps growing at the current rate, it will come close or even beat Android.

Time will tell but, for a phone that has not been out too long, it looks pretty good. If you don't like it and you gave it a fair shot, cool, it's not for everyone.

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !

Last edited by DavidinCT; 01-26-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:29 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

timezone is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I think you can pretty much agree no matter how much you love WP7 its always going to be at least the 4th fiddle behind IOS, Android and RIM.

Wow, It will surpass RIM in Apps by the end of the year if not sooner. Rim will be relatively easy to beat in phones. In fact all of the articles about this phone say that the first phone to lose market share to the Windows Phone 7 will be RIM. Doesn't mean Microsoft will surpass them but I believe it will be in short order. It may never beat the iPhone but Android I might make the bet. Android is very popular as was the old Microsoft phone. With a fractured handset across mobile companies, developers will begin developing for the phone rather than a platform. Microsoft learned that lesson the hard way. Can they beat the iphone? I think it is possible but they will have to get a few things done right. Marketing at this point is just as important as the product. Microsoft needs working phones in the stores. They need Microsoft employees to show off the phone. We need to show off the phone. When I show people the phone the response is usually...Wow, didn't realize how amazing this phone actually is. Of course that is probably a long time out.

I'll say it again, we have to keep on emailing companies that do not have apps on the Windows phone 7. I do it all the time. They are not demanding messages. I gently explain why I believe they should consider developing apps for this phone.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:49 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
Wow, It will surpass RIM in Apps by the end of the year if not sooner. Rim will be relatively easy to beat in phones. In fact all of the articles about this phone say that the first phone to lose market share to the Windows Phone 7 will be RIM. Doesn't mean Microsoft will surpass them but I believe it will be in short order. It may never beat the iPhone but Android I might make the bet. Android is very popular as was the old Microsoft phone. With a fractured handset across mobile companies, developers will begin developing for the phone rather than a platform. Microsoft learned that lesson the hard way. Can they beat the iphone? I think it is possible but they will have to get a few things done right. Marketing at this point is just as important as the product. Microsoft needs working phones in the stores. They need Microsoft employees to show off the phone. We need to show off the phone. When I show people the phone the response is usually...Wow, didn't realize how amazing this phone actually is. Of course that is probably a long time out.

I'll say it again, we have to keep on emailing companies that do not have apps on the Windows phone 7. I do it all the time. They are not demanding messages. I gently explain why I believe they should consider developing apps for this phone.
Its going to be tough for WP7 to beat Android...thing about Android is that its cheaper for manufacturers to make Android phones then WP7 phones as Android is open source..this makes it cheaper for manufacturers to choose Android over WP7 with the same hardware..so unless WP7 completely dominates sales manufacturers will push Android to consumers more then WP7..

Same for carriers..they have more control in Android to load up their stuff...such as making VZnavigator default and etc..while this is annoying for us this gives carriers more incentive to push Android...

Also..there really is no fracturing..most apps work on all phones..the reason why apps start to have issues is when developers go outside the API and start using native code (which wp7 does not allow in the first place)..by using native code it gives performance improvements and etc..Google plans to improve on this of course..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 01-30-2011, 07:14 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

Is android even in the equation as far as windows phone 7 competition? Granted it is admirable to topple android because (since the droid does advertising) it is the most popular OS at the time. I just feel as though taking over android is a temporary stop gap in the large scheme of things seeing that apple is somehow still top dog and admittedly that is the company that Microsoft is trying to beat. Android is just a stopgap in the greater prize...

Android is popular but I still don't think currently it offers the best mobile experience
Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Is android even in the equation as far as windows phone 7 competition? Granted it is admirable to topple android because (since the droid does advertising) it is the most popular OS at the time. I just feel as though taking over android is a temporary stop gap in the large scheme of things seeing that apple is somehow still top dog and admittedly that is the company that Microsoft is trying to beat. Android is just a stopgap in the greater prize...

Android is popular but I still don't think currently it offers the best mobile experience
My belief that in general M$is aiming at Apple and not Android..it may change in the future as all these plans were made 2 years ago by M$, but the target audience that M$ is aiming for is more in tune with fighting Apple rather then Google..
Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
My belief that in general M$is aiming at Apple and not Android..it may change in the future as all these plans were made 2 years ago by M$, but the target audience that M$ is aiming for is more in tune with fighting Apple rather then Google..
makes sense, because apple is the head honcho. But the question is - if microsoft is heading toward apple why not target wp7 to adolescents/young adults?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
makes sense, because apple is the head honcho. But the question is - if microsoft is heading toward apple why not target wp7 to adolescents/young adults?
Well in terms of world scale Android > iOS but might be due to it being available on 1 carrier around the world...but 2 years ago when M$ started working on WP7..iOS was the crave...

As fr targeting..its simple...M$ right now has an "incomplete" OS..or at least compared to the competition..they didn't have time to make it for everyone yet...so they targeted the audience that has money..simple...they will definitely go after young adults..but its going to be a hard fight with Apple for that audience due to popularity of the ipods...its just a fight for another day...
Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post

I dont care if it has a million apps... its still never going to surpass RIM, Android or IOS in terms of phone sales. IOS still has more apps than Android but its not making a difference right now in terms of phone sales.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions