PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

I just read an article about this, wp7 pushes updates across the entire os, android leaves it up to the carriers or manufactures....which is why people are running different versions. wp7 will really catch on once people try it and stop making assumptions about it.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
Re: A call to arms - Windows 7 phone succeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
I just read an article about this, wp7 pushes updates across the entire os, android leaves it up to the carriers or manufactures....which is why people are running different versions.
That can be a good thing or a really bad thing. When that one update comes out that breaks the phone (under tested, Windows admins know these very well), they break at a global scale, not just a carrier or single model scale.

I like a standardized OS, no question, I like to be able to pick up a game and know it will run good on my phone no matter what. On the other side, how long that will last is another story.

With the talk of dual core CPUS and more, faster memory, sure the OS will be fluid but, programmers will be making games that are made for dual core CPUS, to get the most out of a game/program.

When that happens, we'll be in the same boat as Android users are in. OS will run fine but, the apps will have problems on older phones (current gen models).

Just my thoughts here...

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:44 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
Even before owning the phone I emailed Companies with products I use asking where is the Windows 7 phone version.

Despite everything I think this phone will succeed. On many sites there are people already frustrated with their Android phone and even iPhone. I do know when I have shown it to existing Android users they do not or can't see the value added reasons for jumping and that is a problem. This phone can't just be as good as an Android or iPhone for existing users. They need a good reason to go through the pain of moving to a new phone.

Microsoft has the advertising muscle but we have the megaphone and are the troops on the ground that can show off the phones attributes. If this phone fails in the marketplace then we can blame Microsoft and maybe the retail stores. Last but not least we can blame ourselves as early adapters of electronic devices. We have to take ownership and do our job showing off this phone.
Man get out of here with this nonsense. WP7 is barely even selling regardless of all that money Microsoft spent on advertising. Developers arent putting much faith in the OS at all due to terrible sales. No one is going to leave IOS or Android for WP7 because at this point its going in reverse. I told yall weeks ago WP7 will always be behind Android, IOS and RIM. Why? Because Microsoft sucks in the mobile market.

And now with IOS moving over to Verizon as well as them getting the Bionic and the Thunderbolt and AT&T picking up Android superphones this year like the Atrix, dont expect it to be much better. Its pretty much like I kept telling people, Microsoft made this move too little and most definitely too late.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:45 PM
The EVO Guru

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

I just read an article about this, wp7 pushes updates across the entire os, android leaves it up to the carriers or manufactures....which is why people are running different versions. wp7 will really catch on once people try it and stop making assumptions about it.
Doubt it. Tried it and there is nothing about it that would make me switch. Plus I hate that tile interface and the fact that its not customizable worth a damn.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM
The EVO Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
That can be a good thing or a really bad thing. When that one update comes out that breaks the phone (under tested, Windows admins know these very well), they break at a global scale, not just a carrier or single model scale.

I like a standardized OS, no question, I like to be able to pick up a game and know it will run good on my phone no matter what. On the other side, how long that will last is another story.

With the talk of dual core CPUS and more, faster memory, sure the OS will be fluid but, programmers will be making games that are made for dual core CPUS, to get the most out of a game/program.

When that happens, we'll be in the same boat as Android users are in. OS will run fine but, the apps will have problems on older phones (current gen models).

Just my thoughts here...
Pretty much. Hell IOS updates are universal too.. for the phones that meet the requirements. Plus the average consumer couldnt care less about this anyways. I could go out and poll 10 random people on the street that have Android and im willing to bet 8 out of 10 would have no clue the differences between eclair, froyo and gingerbread.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:50 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
WP7 is barely even selling regardless of all that money Microsoft spent on advertising.
We only know LG sales, but not any other OEMs, and that's where it matters. Microsoft only licenses the OS
Quote:
Developers arent putting much faith in the OS at all due to terrible sales.
Windows Phone 7 Marketplace now has more than 20,000 developers
[/quote]
Quote:
No one is going to leave IOS or Android for WP7 because at this point its going in reverse.
Watch Out Android Marketplace! Here comes Windows - PCWorld
IDC: Windows Phone 7 marketplace ramping up
Microsoft
marketshare has to be coming from somewhere...and some of those users are android/iOS users
Quote:
I told yall weeks ago WP7 will always be behind Android, IOS and RIM. Why? Because Microsoft sucks in the mobile market.
Excellent conjecture based on Nothing but opinion
Quote:
And now with IOS moving over to Verizon as well as them getting the Bionic and the Thunderbolt and AT&T picking up Android superphones this year like the Atrix, dont expect it to be much better. Its pretty much like I kept telling people, Microsoft made this move too little and most definitely too late.
it's been 3 months...too soon?
Quote:
Doubt it. Tried it and there is nothing about it that would make me switch. Plus I hate that tile interface and the fact that its not customizable worth a damn.
it's 3 months old. God give devs time to crack it open. So far, changing the default color scheme and entering registry in a month is a good thing. Windows Mobile took time to evolve and not everyone had a kitchen back in 03/04. It's a new OS. It takes time.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:16 PM
I am a Patriot
Pocket PC: touchdiamond<treo800<touchpro<touchpro2<arrive<evo
Carrier: sprint

rrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIP
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

i agree with noir wp7 is just getting started i for one want to see how far it goes i also agree android and rim are very good but its also a rats race to see whose gonna make it out on top .
Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM
The EVO Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
We only know LG sales, but not any other OEMs, and that's where it matters. Microsoft only licenses the OS

Windows Phone 7 Marketplace now has more than 20,000 developers
Watch Out Android Marketplace! Here comes Windows - PCWorld
IDC: Windows Phone 7 marketplace ramping up
Microsoft
marketshare has to be coming from somewhere...and some of those users are android/iOS users

Excellent conjecture based on Nothing but opinion

it's been 3 months...too soon?

it's 3 months old. God give devs time to crack it open. So far, changing the default color scheme and entering registry in a month is a good thing. Windows Mobile took time to evolve and not everyone had a kitchen back in 03/04. It's a new OS. It takes time.[/QUOTE]

So your response to the fact that wp7 sales sucks is articles about the marketplace getting more apps? LOL ok.. as i said WP7 will NEVER outsell IOS or Android. And probably not RIM either. The interest seems to be little to none. And didnt LG even say that their WP7 sales are disappointing at best and they're building their future on Android?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

Quote:
So your response to the fact that wp7 sales sucks is articles about the marketplace getting more apps?
No I responded to that in a different thread. But again, we don't know the sales. The only idea we know of sale numbers is LG. There are 3 major OEM developers - Samsung, LG, and HTC. We only have an idea from LG. That leaves 2 more...we still don't know how the sales are going because no one has published sales numbers from the OEM side.

Quote:
LOL ok.. as i said WP7 will NEVER outsell IOS or Android. And probably not RIM either.
And android's first 6 months sales numbers? Oh yes.
T-Mobile has sold 1 million G1 Android phones | Wireless - CNET News
1 million in 6 months? I'd consider those sales number low and in international waters EVEN less

And now android is one of the most popular OSes around. Pundits alike neither called android a success or an out and out failure, but it wasn't adopted as heavily as it was now. In many ways windows phone 7 is a bit more successful because unlike android's first 6 months that only tmobile adopted prior to htc sense 1.0 hitting android, wp7 has support from ATT & TMOBILE, with support from sprint and verizon coming as well.

Quote:
The interest seems to be little to none.
*sighs*
refer to the links I posted already regarding interest.

Quote:
The interest seems to be little to none. And didnt LG even say that their WP7 sales are disappointing at best and they're building their future on Android?
Not exactly...this is LG comments

Quote:
From an industry perspective we had a high expectation, but from a consumer point of view the visibility is less than we LG has been closely collaborating with Microsoft from the beginning. What we feel is that it is absolutely perfect for a huge segment out there. What we feel is that some people believe that some operating systems, mainly Google, are extremely complicated for them. But Windows Phone 7 is very intuitive and easy to use

For tech guys like us it might be a little bit boring after a week or two, but are there are certain segments that it really appeals to. We strongly feel that it has a strong potential even though the first push wasn’t what everyone expected

From a vendor perspective, having that balance is critical, being dependent on one OS is not beneficial for us. That’s the same with not just the manufacturers, but the operators as well

There is a need and demand from the operators saying there is too much ‘Android’ in the portfolio. In that sense LG always tries to balance our portfolio, and that’s not just in sense of hardware but OS’s as well.
report everything LG has stated. Not just what you want to report.
That is the entirety of LG's statement, especially their comments about their portfolio being too android heavy
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:34 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

timezone is becoming a great contributor

Yikes, this is turning into another Doomed Thread. If you don't like this phone or Microsoft or the moon cycles then buy an Android or Iphone. There is plenty of variety for everyone. For those that care about this phone and I believe long term the dot net environment and everything Microsoft then we do need to buy this phone and show it off. I personally think it is the best phone on the market. Especially when packaged in an HTC HD7. I also believe that when people see the phone in action they are blown away by it and they do start to think about their Android or Iphone purchase.

There are plenty of good signs for its success. The App store is looking good. There are quality Apps from reputable stores and web sites available in Marketplace. From Realtor.com to ShopSavvy, Shazam, Kellys Blue Book and OpenTable to name just a few. From memory I believe there are around 20,000 developers that are registered. Yes, the sales numbers may not be great but they are not bad. There is a foundation for growth. Also there are manufactures that are starting to show interest in selling the phone.

I wrote and then deleted a rant because I don't want to argue whether one OS is better than another. I love to have these discussions but this thread is for those that love this phone and want to help make it the success it deserves.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions