PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   WP7 to support .cab installations ? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=138972)

elesbb 12-29-2010 08:31 PM

WP7 to support .cab installations ?

I have A LOT of .cabs that i used on my wm 6.x.x ROMS . i love the programs and was wondering if you can still install cabs onto your WP7 . i do not own one yet , i was at att and goofed off with the surround and couldnt find any file explorer or anything like that .. i might get a wp7 if i can still use my old cabs . thanks guys !

MikeElGiga23 12-29-2010 08:37 PM

Re: WP7 to support .cab installations ?

nope, sorry. its a completely new OS with basically no relation to 6.5.5, so even if you could get them in the phone, i doubt it would even know what to do with them.

WP7 uses different framework, api, CE core and other variables that would not let old apps install or run. also it uses .xap files, which is what the .cab is for windows mobile

hope this helps

elesbb 12-29-2010 08:52 PM

blehh kind of annoying . every other window mobile OS was backwards compatible .. why they have to make this one "special" ? thanks though you did help :D

nrfitchett4 12-29-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2026464)
blehh kind of annoying . every other window mobile OS was backwards compatible .. why they have to make this one "special" ? thanks though you did help :D

because winmo is a bloated resource hog.
Side by side comparison of my hd7 and my hd2 is not even close in speed and smoothness.
Add that up with only 1 freeze up in 6 weeks (and when a wp7 "freezes up" it auto reboots so you don't have to pop the back cover) and I can see why it was time for a different direction.
Just like palm did 18 months ago with webOS, sometimes, you just can't make them backwards compatible and stay competitive.

dprout69 12-30-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

because it's yet another example of why wp7 sux

Dr.8820 12-30-2010 10:46 AM

Lol, when will you people learn to use your own minds and try things for yourself, the poster above me obviously never even tried wp7 :(.

gTen 12-30-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Its because WP7 is not winmo...

This is what effectively M$ did...

Took winmo and merged it into Windows Embedded

Created a new OS and named it Windows Phone 7

aka its a NEW OS...just like WebOS is not the same as the Palm OS...they jsut called it 7 so average people won't think its an early version...

DavidinCT 12-30-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Trust me, I feel your pain too. I've been using Windows Mobile/PocketPC from version 1.0 (yep, a HPC, I still have).

I hope they add a folder that you can access (I know no file system) but, so you can save documents and music files etc for some basic file managment (so, you can use it as a USB drive too).