PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 02:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre,HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

smoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to smoove21
Arrow Now that it's released, is WP7 worth it?

Okay I used to have a true ppc. I moved on last year to a palm pre. Now we all know the story behind palm and there woes so lets not get into that. I used to have a touch pro, and i must admit i do miss flashing. However times change and the os landscape is much different now. Now im in love with webos but hate the hardware. Basically i want to know from those that have actually used microsoft's new mobile os: Is it really worth dropping wm/webos/android/ios or blackberry os? If so then why? If not please explain.I've seen the commercials,read reviews and listened/read ALOT of opinions. I just can't get that "i've gotta have it" feeling when i see it. Something about how simple/bland the whole tile concept looks and operates. I'm looking for honest opinions from my peers. No flame war or anything of that nature. Please don't try to sell your favorite os here. I'm not interested in leaving webos and if you stuck with wm and waited until wp7 then you understand where im coming from.
Playstation 3/Xbox360/Wii/PC..Which is best? Join the debate!>> http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112741
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:22 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Now that it's released, is WP7 worth it?

i used a htc surround for 2days and it was cool but not ready yet imo to replace my tp2. i wont own one till very late 2011 and only then if os gets updates. and if your on sprint there offering is not even in the game.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre,HTC Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

smoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuff
Send a message via Yahoo to smoove21

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
i used a htc surround for 2days and it was cool but not ready yet imo to replace my tp2. i wont own one till very late 2011 and only then if os gets updates. and if your on sprint there offering is not even in the game.
Yeah you're right. Cdma carriers aren't supposed to get wp7 devices until sometime in the first quarter of next year correct? Im sure they will be announced at CES and even then they'll probably be cdma variations of their gsm counterparts. That's no good for me because its expected for palm (HP) to introduce their next device(s). Once that happens I might as well stay put.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:39 AM
acs tester

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoove21 View Post
Yeah you're right. Cdma carriers aren't supposed to get wp7 devices until sometime in the first quarter of next year correct? Im sure they will be announced at CES and even then they'll probably be cdma variations of their gsm counterparts. That's no good for me because its expected for palm (HP) to introduce their next device(s). Once that happens I might as well stay put.
ya sprints pro7 will be here in jan. if your lucky but i think its the worst wp7 cdma offering. if i really wanted a wp7 device in 2011 i would switch carriers but im ok to wait to see whats out late 2011 early 2012.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

TheShade001 knows their stuffTheShade001 knows their stuffTheShade001 knows their stuffTheShade001 knows their stuffTheShade001 knows their stuffTheShade001 knows their stuffTheShade001 knows their stuff

Because it isn't out for CDMA i haven't met anyone who is running it. The look, alone, is enough to deter many. I am hopeful that once it comes to CDMA, it won't be long before someone figures out how to get custom roms on it. I switched to a Droid X a few months ago. I had a TP2 and flashed every other day it seemed like. Not being able to flash had me in culture shock! The word on the street was, because of efuse, the droid x and droid 2 were unhackable - meaning, "no rom for you! EVER!" After many people SWORE it couldn't be done, sure enough, a few months later we had a custom bootloader, lots of new roms coming out and now I'm disecting the crap out of the interface about to create a theme.

I am sure the same thing will eventually happen to WP7. I was sooo excited about WP7 until i found out that the HIDEOUS interface was not just experimental - it was actually their IDEA of a new, innovative experience! MS still hasn't gotten the hint either. Agreeing with the OP, how on earth can you say to yourself, "I've gotta have that!" when you want to throw up every time you look at it? I am a professional designer (my actual job) and our crew would litterally, get fired if we tried to put out crap like that. It is by far the absolute worse looking mobile interface to date.

As petty as it sounds, the crappy, bland, hubby-chubby garbage will keep me away for a while (and many others according to some posts). Once we are able to strip it down and customize it, i'll eagerly dive in. I'd be curious to see it perform though and to see what xbox features (gaming features) it might have.

Still can't get over how MS went ALL IN on the new mobile os, but didn't seem to get feedback on the look? I have not met one person who said, "ooo! i really like that!" It is usually the opposite. It really is a strange phenomenon considering that MS has been doing a lot right lately (the new Office is great, Windows 7, etc.).

Old 11-14-2010, 12:27 PM
No charge for Awesomeness
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP

I actually like the interface, but I am somewhat of a minimalist. I love the fact that you can pin whatever you want to the Start Screen, webpages, contacts, programs, documents, etc. that way the things I use most are right there.

I also prefer speed over superfluous graphics. Call me crazy, but WP7 is the only thing on my radar right now.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

aximtreo is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
I actually like the interface, but I am somewhat of a minimalist. I love the fact that you can pin whatever you want to the Start Screen, webpages, contacts, programs, documents, etc. that way the things I use most are right there.

I also prefer speed over superfluous graphics. Call me crazy, but WP7 is the only thing on my radar right now.

I agree. It's the first interface I've seen that allows multiple things to be done and realized without having to be a techie. I don't think techies will migrate to this OS in great numbers even if the system is jailbroke and ROM's appear. This one M$ targets the masses; hopefully the masses realize that and embrace it in large numbers.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:40 PM
acs tester

it sux though that the tiles reload every friggin time you leave/comeback to home screen, its not a great idea and some of you will see what im talking about soon and agree and then starting a thread on"my battery life sux"
Old 11-14-2010, 03:41 PM
No charge for Awesomeness
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP

I think the only other things I can think of that don't sound good is no Smart Dial and that there is no unified Email Inbox. I'm used to to going to Mail and swiping left or right to get to my other inboxes, but it sounds like this is not possible with WP7.

Spread the thanks! Click http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/images/but...ost_thanks.gif if someone helps you!
Old 11-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

There doesnt seem to be much marketing hype around it. I have only seen a few commercials and that was before it launched. You would think MS would be marketing the heck out of it in order to regain that lost market share.

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Tags
ios, microsoft, review, webos, wp7