PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 12:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache
Carrier: Sprint

dprout69 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WHY does anyone want WP7?

So as I continue to do research on this phenomenon, and Ive read the comparisons of this vs. that... one question I have that I have not seen asked is... Why does anyone want WP7? I've had my tweaked out apache ppc6700 running WM5 for 5 years now. It finally died and it was a sad day, however with the old must come the new... Android, Apple no thanks for many personal reasons, but lo and behold here comes WP7 and I find out that for all practical purposes... it seems they are just copying apple and android

No multitasking
No Outlook sync
No Hot swap SD card support
No cut and paste
No File System Access
No real customizations
No backwards compatibility
No Tethering
H*ll the first one Ive seen for sprint doesnt even have dual cameras
No No No No NO is all they are giving...

So I mean seriously... WHY does anyone want WP7? Is there something good about it that I am missing and IM not talking about the hardware because they could have included that in any phone... WTF am I missing? What's the good?

Last edited by dprout69; 11-22-2010 at 02:51 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: WHY does anyone want WP7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprout69 View Post
So as I continue to do research on this phenomenon, and Ive read the comparisons of this vs. that... one question I have not seen asked is... Why does anyone want WP7? I've had my tweaked out apache ppc6700 running WM5 for 5 years now. It finally died and it was a sad day, however with the old must come the new... Android, Apple no thanks for many personal reasons, but lo and behold here comes WP7 and I find out that for all practical purposes... it seems they are just copying apple and android

No multitasking
No Outlook sync
No Hot swap SD card support
No cut and paste
No File System Access
No real customizations
No backwards compatibility
H*ll the first one Ive seen for sprint doesnt even have dual cameras
No No No No NO is all they are giving...

So I mean seriously... WHY does anyone want WP7? Is there something good about it that I am missing and IM not talking about the hardware because they could have included that in any phone... WTF am I missing? What's the good?

No multitasking - Partial multitasking on this release.

No Outlook sync - This is release 1.0 of WP7... Give it time

No Hot swap SD card support- I don't kno what to tell you about this other than I have a 16gb card in my TP2 and have 4000 songs and several movies on it... Still have room. And still have room on the cloud

No cut and paste- on release 1.0 ( it's comming )

No File System Access - MEH?

No real customizations - It's release 1.0 give the devs some time.

No backwards compatibility - It's a NEW OS... Never before done...

No need for everyone to jump on the bandwagon right away...
I want it because I feel like I'm going to be part of a Beta testing team. Even though it's not labled beta... It might as well be.

Give it some time and this is going to be a very nice OS. At release date... It's a pretty good one.
p.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:25 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

At this point..from what I'm seeing 90% of the people get it cause its made by M$...>.> lol

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 11-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

There's no doubt that fanboyism is alive and well.
On all camps.

But there are several reasons to or not to get it.
I have my own... And they revolve around not changing networks... And not getting Android... But the fact that it is made by MS does not drive me away.
p.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
At this point..from what I'm seeing 90% of the people get it cause its made by M$...>.> lol
Agreed! I can see nothing positive about the software at this stage to make it worth spending a single dime on it. Im a long time Microsoft defender but even Im looking at this like how can anyone enable M$ by saying this is acceptable cuz it just makes them want to keep pulling this shite! This software, in it's infancy or not, offers nothing better than any other company out there and by their absurd strategy has put them years behind the competition... All they really had to do was clean up what they already had and make it work smoother. Instead they strip it down to a fisher price toy and say we're just gonna start all over... and everyone just sits back and says, oh well it has potential. Seriously, it had potential before, now its just at least a 5 year journey away from being similar to anything bad arse.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
Give it some time and this is going to be a very nice OS. At release date... It's a pretty good one.
p.
I agree given time anything can become great, but they didnt have to shite can every last idea and concept from the last OS and not build some of the sweetness into the new OS. In other words, reinventing the wheel did not need to occur - Its still black and round.

We're just gonna show em how many messages they have and give em a phone, a way to view their pics and play their music. Scrap everything else...

You know seriously Im baffled by this move by Microsoft... Im surprised they didnt give the phone a clam shell design and call it a day
Old 11-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

don't go by what you heard, give it a shot first...it just might surprise you.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

You tellem doc.
p.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Let's see some reasons why it's better than Android

1) More efficient OS = faster and less lag

2) Easier to write apps for and all apps work for all phones unlike Android

3) More user friendly for some and an easier learning curve

4) From what I can tell doesn't come with a bunch of stock crapware (correct me if I'm wrong)

As far as why would I get one? It's a new gizmo to play with, plain and simple.

Do I like Android more than WP7 and iOS? Of Course! But I still love to play and tinker with iOS and WP7 is brand new so I'm looking forward to a new world of phone.

It's a much better product that WM6.x because that was so damn complicated only people like us really knew how to use it.

It's a great phone for people who want an "iphone-like" phone not locked to ATT and once we jailbreak it and gain root access could be a fun phone for us as well.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre,HTC Touch Pro2

smoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuff
Send a message via Yahoo to smoove21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprout69 View Post
I agree given time anything can become great, but they didnt have to shite can every last idea and concept from the last OS and not build some of the sweetness into the new OS. In other words, reinventing the wheel did not need to occur - Its still black and round.

We're just gonna show em how many messages they have and give em a phone, a way to view their pics and play their music. Scrap everything else...

You know seriously Im baffled by this move by Microsoft... Im surprised they didnt give the phone a clam shell design and call it a day

I agree about the os being in its infancy however it had to be done. It wouldn't have mattered if they simply made windows mobile pretty and a little faster. The perception of the os wouldn't have let it succeed. Brand is everything in the world of business. If the perception of a particular product is negative then its more than likely not going to succeed. Word of mouth is what can make or break companies. The last thing they want is people talking about what windows 'mobile' can't do regardless of whether they fixed all it's issues or not. Therefore they changed the name and os and start fresh.
Playstation 3/Xbox360/Wii/PC..Which is best? Join the debate!>> http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112741
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions