PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 05:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: Sprint

Biggnaa20 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Biggnaa20 Send a message via Skype™ to Biggnaa20
Re: WHY does anyone want WP7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprout69 View Post
So as I continue to do research on this phenomenon, and Ive read the comparisons of this vs. that... one question I have that I have not seen asked is... Why does anyone want WP7? I've had my tweaked out apache ppc6700 running WM5 for 5 years now. It finally died and it was a sad day, however with the old must come the new... Android, Apple no thanks for many personal reasons, but lo and behold here comes WP7 and I find out that for all practical purposes... it seems they are just copying apple and android

No multitasking
No Outlook sync
No Hot swap SD card support
No cut and paste
No File System Access
No real customizations
No backwards compatibility
No Tethering
H*ll the first one Ive seen for sprint doesnt even have dual cameras
No No No No NO is all they are giving...

So I mean seriously... WHY does anyone want WP7? Is there something good about it that I am missing and IM not talking about the hardware because they could have included that in any phone... WTF am I missing? What's the good?
You have actually pointed out a few of the things that have kept me from looking to WP7 as a replacement. I still have the original palm pre. I'm in the camp that likes the operating system, but is in dire need for some new hardware and since Palm is slow on putting out something drool worthy, I looked at Android first (too scattered for my needs) and Windows Phone which just isn't ready yet.

I'll probably wait and look at it in a year, I think that the holes are fixable and for the most part are probably on the road map.

I think that this is a step in the right direction, but as you say...it mimics Apple more than the WinMo of old.

From a Dollars and Cents point of view, I'm not sure if that is really a bad thing.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

aximtreo is just getting started

Quote:
No sales pitches please... lol

I can still actually buy a TP2 from Sprint any way!

Just kidding. Will keep it for GPS and music.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 PM
BIGGZZ - VIP -
Pocket PC: Dell Streak
Carrier: AT&T

Biggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I wasn't going to go with wp7 but i tried it and put my iphone aside. I have to say the integration of social media into the phone is fantastic and the OS is growing on me...Haven't touch any of my other phones in a few days. Best advice...try it before you bash it then pass judgement.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Opera/9.70 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) TMO-US_LEO)

+1.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:11 AM
VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/Focus/soon EVO3D

Mr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I have the samsung focus, and Im impressed with it. It is so buttery smooth! Imo the ui layout makes the ios and droid look outdated. sure it still needs some updating, but that will come soon. for a first generation its impressive, I think its my fav phone for now.

Last edited by Mr.KLeen; 11-23-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.KLeen View Post
I have the samsung focus, and Im impressed with it. It is so buttery smooth! Imo the ui layout makes the ios and droid look outdated. sure it still needs some updating, but that will come soon. for a first generation its impressive, I think its my fav phone for now.
needs updating? see thats what scares me, i just got my tp2 to where m$ should have and im not going through 2yrs of upgrades to get to where i am now. guess the bottom line for sprint guys is we got 30day return deal.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache
Threadstarter

dprout69 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzz View Post
I wasn't going to go with wp7 but i tried it and put my iphone aside. I have to say the integration of social media into the phone is fantastic and the OS is growing on me...Haven't touch any of my other phones in a few days. Best advice...try it before you bash it then pass judgement.
Not bashing it by any means. I think its a great piece of innovation regardless of any thing else. The problem I have is how do you go from being able to do everything we could on windows mobile of the past... that being to "turn a simple phone into a high tech complicated piece of art that could do anything..." to just a phone, which does nothing different than any other phone, is highly restrictive and where MS is absolutely going out of its way to make it difficult... latest headline on PPCGEEKS "Microsoft Uses A Unique PVK To Prevent ROM Porting"

Add that to the list of NO's

They could have added cut and paste... they had the time and money... they just chose to put the time and money into blocking porting, blocking tethering, blocking file system access... etc etc etc

MS doesnt owe me or any of us a single thing... it's their company and they can design as they see fit... I just wanted to know why anyone even wants this software any more... wanted to know if anyone had a valid reason or vision. I guess that answer may only come once the hackers get into it and rip it apart, but for right now the answer is cuz it has potential, so Ill get my TP2 for now and wait a couple of years to see where it develops.

Last edited by dprout69; 11-23-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache
Threadstarter

dprout69 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
needs updating? see thats what scares me, i just got my tp2 to where m$ should have and im not going through 2yrs of upgrades to get to where i am now. guess the bottom line for sprint guys is we got 30day return deal.
See and thats exactly how I feel... its just a major step backwards. I feel like this move by MS brought us years behind where we were...
Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
See and thats exactly how I feel... its just a major step backwards. I feel like this move by MS brought us years behind where we were...
but you have to understand that you are in the minority.

What you want in a phone isn't what the other 95% of users want. They want iPhones, they want simple, user-friendly, and apps (the 3 things winmo really lacks).

MS doesn't give a damn about flashing, modding, copy/paste, changing the UI, themes, or any of that stuff. MS cares about market share and profit, and millions of dollars spent on surveys and digging into what people want has birthed WP7.

The only thing they advertised about the HD2 was that it came with transformers, had a big screen, and was "fast"

Now with WP7 they actually advertise the OS, which they could never really do before. This thing is going to give them a better shot at getting some market share.

Why would I get WP7? It's simple, fast, efficient, integrated, great hardware, user-friendly.

You don't have to soft-reset every 4 seconds even on a stock ROM, there are actually supported apps in a centralized market place. It already has a netflix app fully working where they are trying to iron out the kinks in the Android version.

It is basically iOS repackaged and run more efficiently. What did Bill Gates do when Macs came out? Copied the awesome (at the time) UI and made it cheaper and more available. That's exactly what he's doing here.

We just need to realize that this is not made for US. Look how many iPhones are in the market right now. And most Android users don't even know how to move files onto their SD cards let alone root and flash.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

im not posting for the 95% peeps or the 5%, im posting what i want of a new phone and wp7 right now cant compare to my epic, im talking all over and talking about sprints dismal offering the pro 7.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions