PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WHY does anyone want WP7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyneko View Post
Windows Phone 7 is a PRETTY OS. Beautiful even. Android is just plain ugly. No one picks up an android phone, starts playing with it at the store and says 'oh WOW'. Its a confusing, unintuitive UI. Badly designed, just like all Google software. Most of it looks like it was designed by an Engineer rather an a UI expert /designer.

Palm's Web OS is also so beautiful. I am worried Windows Phone 7 will go the way of Web OS..beautiful but with not enough support from the app community to make it a truly great OS. Web OS is similar to WP7 at launch in that it lacks features common in just about every other phone. No Copy Paste? Seriously?

Also the hardware is relatively unimpressive thusfar. The WP7 phones are just meh. The Palm Pre was a beautiful design. It should not have been launched right now. They obviously rushed it for the Holiday season. It needed another 6 months-year of development to make it truly amazing and fully functional.

I am hoping that WP7 ends up being successful, we need something BEAUTIFUL as an alternative to iPhone..Android is ugly as sin, plain and boring.

The funny thing about this is... regardless of how "ugly" android may be its EASILY customizable to anyones liking. There are plenty of launchers and customizations you can do to make the phone look any way you want it to. As far as people going in a store and picking up and Android and saying its ugly... well... people must really love ugly things because there isnt anything selling better than Android right now... including the "beautiful" windows OS.

I believe I saw somewhere where for every 16 people that walk into a store and look at an android and a WP7 phone, 15 of those people are choosing ANDROID. Personally I dont care how "pretty" an OS is or the phone... give me functionality. Winmo didnt look bad but the crappy functionality is the main reason I ended up trying and loving android to begin with.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
I would not call writing apps in silverlight progress...progress would be choosing an open source programming language...Its actually quite sad..now I got nothing against silverlight as a language..butt M$ has been known for creating programming languages by the dozen, be very poor with bakwards compatibility when language updates...and then eventually dump it in favor of a new one...

The complaint is not in WP7 itself..its how M$ approached it..they could have released WP7 as a new OS..same way palm did..and still developed winmo...they still are anyways inside Embeded..but by doign what they did means it wont end up in a consumer phone..thats what people are mad at.

Music, making calls, RSS maybe more :/
Music functionality is much more integrated in wp7 using zune, and much prettier too for those that care about it. Not to mention that 3rd party multitasking is coming in the feb. update (per rumors, MWC), so then what will you complain about.
Lack of hardware call/end buttons might be the only way you can say that making calls is easier on winmo
And sorry, but you should take a look at yomomedia on wp7 vs winmo, and the fact that podcasts can be subscribed to in zune makes RSS way better on wp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
The funny thing about this is... regardless of how "ugly" android may be its EASILY customizable to anyones liking. There are plenty of launchers and customizations you can do to make the phone look any way you want it to. As far as people going in a store and picking up and Android and saying its ugly... well... people must really love ugly things because there isnt anything selling better than Android right now... including the "beautiful" windows OS.

I believe I saw somewhere where for every 16 people that walk into a store and look at an android and a WP7 phone, 15 of those people are choosing ANDROID. Personally I dont care how "pretty" an OS is or the phone... give me functionality. Winmo didnt look bad but the crappy functionality is the main reason I ended up trying and loving android to begin with.
Care to share that poll...
That's like the ipad vs galaxy tab poll where they polled all of 60 people and didn't say when or where.....

Old 12-11-2010, 02:02 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
Some of you might be interested in reading my editorial I just wrote about WP7 after using it for about 3 weeks now...

PPCGeeks.com ยป [PPCG Editorial] mindfrost82′s Thoughts About Windows Phone 7
Good write up Frost. Things should pick up after the first update and when third party launchers start rolling. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

I really think Android is just more of an easy adjustment coming from Winmo. You can still flash roms, install themes, etc, etc. WP7 devices, once updated in January time frame, will have many features added and hopefully more ability to add themes (Sense, spb, other third party) that will give us geeks something to do Answering the question posed by the OP, I would say not at this time. But I'm sure I would be interested in the near future. It's been said many times, to each their own. I did have a chance of a few occasions to mess around with my colleagues w7 device. Solid device imo.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:00 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
Music functionality is much more integrated in wp7 using zune, and much prettier too for those that care about it. Not to mention that 3rd party multitasking is coming in the feb. update (per rumors, MWC), so then what will you complain about.
Lack of hardware call/end buttons might be the only way you can say that making calls is easier on winmo
And sorry, but you should take a look at yomomedia on wp7 vs winmo, and the fact that podcasts can be subscribed to in zune makes RSS way better on wp7
And it will be a step up, but still not enough...For me personally an iphone or a wp7 phone is not an option...mostly since I use my phone for business use...so I have really nothing to "complain" about...my biggest complaint as its always been is M$ killed WM and replaced it with a dumphone platform instead of side by side...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 12-23-2010, 05:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Focus (unlocked)
Carrier: Telus

jessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to jessiethe3rd

Well...
I love PPC Geeks - everyone here is... well a geek. We tinker with our phones and spend stupid amounts of time playing with settings. I see all the guys on XDA and here on PPCGeeks kind of slowly closing up shop and moving to the Android platform. Fact of the matter is the world of tweaking will live on but it will take time to understand what is and what is not possible. Never underestimate the power of the desire to tweak

With that stated I have officially moved to WP7 and to be honest I couldn't be more happier. Why? It's simple. For me tweaking was about getting better performance, better experience, more customization. WP7 is offering those things to me - it's just in a bit of a more controlled sandbox. I can change my theme, background color, and most importantly my LiveTiles to be what I want to see.

As Geeks we have a tad bit of arrogance - we want to know everything about a particular phone... we want to have the ability to hack and unlock its secrets... simple fact is the new WP7 phones world the tweaking community goes back to square A.) ... that's a hard thing to take lying down Trust me... I realize this.

I also became such a die hard fan I recommended Windows 6.5 devices to my family and friends and alienated them further away from me only to turn off technology in general... sure WM was great for tweaking... sure Android is too but the problem is to GET the tweaks and WORK things out takes time and energy and most of all you break a lot of things in your pursuit.

With all that stated here's why I love my WP7 device:

1. XNA and Silverlight development... the single reason why Microsoft's marketplace will continue to grow a a blistering speed (5,000 apps in the first 60 days?) Developers can now develop against argueably the worlds most popular gaming system and a phone at the same time...

2. The UI... it's faster on all accounts... not just in speed - in overall accessibility to the things I look at all the time. It's clear, concise, and there's no fiddling around necessary.

3. Cloud - ZunePass, Xbox Live, and soon to be Skydrive integration... I think Microsoft will have the most consistent cloud offering of the bunch - they just know how to do it and they have the most extensible platform out of all the players.

4. Reading Email... it's missing some key features IMHO like threading of messages but the layout, look and feel of email on WP7 is far superior to all other platforms bar none. I'm a business user and Exchange is on the backend - it runs it like a dream.

5. UPGRADEABILITY... this has me excited the most - I can depend on Microsoft releasing updates. I know CCP is coming and they'll have it fairly fast. I know there'll be a app switcher and some type of tombstoning multitasking like iOS. I know Microsoft is not sleeping at the wheel and the nice thing is I can make requests on what I would like to see changed and because of the faster update cycle I know my change requests have a high possiblity of being answered.

If you haven't given WP7 a try do yourself a favor and check it out.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions