PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 04:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DX2
Carrier: Verizon

three west is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to three west
Question WP7 sync how?

so I've been a winmo user for a few phones now, still really like my TP2 but like to sorta keep up with whats new. I've always liked winmo just for the fact that it just plain works. I can plug it into my pc and it just knows what to do, plain & simple. I can sync it to my exchange server at work and its completely trouble free. No problems syncing to multiple locations after some minor troubleshooting. I work on a pc 9-12 hrs a day and the ability for my outlook work to automatically sync to my phone OTA is ideal. I also work in the office 80% of the time, and in fact, one of my favorite things about winmo is activesync. When I'm in the office I don't sync email, but if I'm working off-site I can just check that one little box and it'll sync email. That way its not dinging in my pocket 60 times a day for new emails when I am in the office. It also means that I don't have to see any new mail notifications at night or over the weekend when I have email sync turned off. Lord knows my ocd brain would HAVE to check those messages if it showed me new mail, and I need my time off.

I write that whole rambling mess to ask this: Can I easily turn email sync on and off with WP7's version of activesync?

I've read quite a bit about WP7, but I haven't seen that answered anywhere.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:19 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Re: WP7 sync how?

my guess is that activesync is dead. (or maybe i'm just wishing)
i'm thinking they decided that having a central sync location (exchange/cloud) is better than trying to put a pc in the mix.
I'm sure there will options available for when your 'signed' in at another pc.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:40 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

some live sync news.
No Windows Live Sync At Launch For WP7 Devices Thoughts

also replacement for active sync?
http://www.1800pocketpc.com/2010/03/...to-dorado.html

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 10-09-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Question Re: WP7 sync how?

currently I sync to my exchange server at work via activesync on the handset, and by usb on my home pc using WMDC. I could give up the home pc sync easily enough. I really don't do it that often anymore.

I'm just curious if the new sync solution is as adjustable as activesync on the mobile device side and will allow me o switch the email on and off as easily as I can now.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

WP7 will connect throught the Zune software. I'm not entirely sure on the process of that syncing with Outlook or Exchange, as I obviously don't ahve a device yet. I jsut know that the Zune software is replacing ActiveSync and WMDC.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

stopped at ATT today to check out a WP7 phone, the phone was beautiful and very fast & responsive. Unfortunately I couldn't find an answer to my question anywhere on the phone, figured I'd have to actually set up an exchange relationship to get that option.

Now that devices are live in the wild can anybody answer that for me?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:04 AM
No charge for Awesomeness
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by three west View Post
stopped at ATT today to check out a WP7 phone, the phone was beautiful and very fast & responsive. Unfortunately I couldn't find an answer to my question anywhere on the phone, figured I'd have to actually set up an exchange relationship to get that option.

Now that devices are live in the wild can anybody answer that for me?
Did a quick Google search on turning off ermail sync, and found this page from Microsoft: Battery: Making It Last on Windows Phone 7

In the section titled "Sync email and contacts selectively" it says
Quote:
If you don't use any Windows Live services and don't have an email account hosted by Microsoft, such as a Hotmail account, go into the Windows Live account settings and change the default sync setting to Manually.
Which tells me you can still set to manual sync for your email accounts, essentially stopping it from syncing until you tell it to.

Spread the thanks! Click http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/images/but...ost_thanks.gif if someone helps you!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thumbs up Re: WP7 sync how?

wow, thanks for looking into that for me, that offers some hope that one of my favorite features will still work.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:51 AM
No charge for Awesomeness
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP

Went by the T-Mobile store tonight and looked at the HD7. Nice phone, btw. The ability to set email accounts to sync only manually is indeed there.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Tags
activesync, wmdc