PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

Aleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Upcoming prototype WP7 device from LG - quick hands on impression!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosdaman View Post
Is it me, or is everyone just dumb? I mean I know I havent used WM in a year, but Widnows Phone 7 is ugly. It looks like something that is completely unfinished.
I'm not too happy about it either. It looks too Kin'ish, and boy was the Kin such a dissapointment to use. I just hope M$ allows us to mod the UI. On a positive note, I do like the flow. Seems like the device doesnt suffer from skipping or pauses.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:57 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

lightman02 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

The OS looks very boring and bland. The icons look like a child made them, hell a child could probably do better!! I have used windows mobile for years and I am now on Android and I don't see myself switching. I think Microsoft is done when it comes to mobile OS's, I think WM7 wil be a big waste of time they are to far behind everyone else.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

jmartin72 knows their stuffjmartin72 knows their stuffjmartin72 knows their stuffjmartin72 knows their stuffjmartin72 knows their stuffjmartin72 knows their stuffjmartin72 knows their stuff

Quote:
Is it me, or is everyone just dumb? I mean I know I havent used WM in a year, but Widnows Phone 7 is ugly. It looks like something that is completely unfinished.
+1 I'll stick with my Hero and Android 2.2. Hands down the fastest, and most stable ROM I have ever seen. WM will have to come up with something much better than what I've seen to make me come back.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Ozone,Diam,Imagio,TPro2,Opt-S,EVO,3VO,E4GT
Carrier: Boost (CDMA)

m4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

They should work more on WP7 and hold the release but release a WM7 (enhanced WM6.5 and capacitive touch screen compatibility)

I am quite happy with my WM6.5 (HTC Touch Pro2) but it lacks devices (CDMA) with snapdragon (1ghz) and capacitive screen...
Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO

itster is keeping up the good workitster is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightman02 View Post
The OS looks very boring and bland. The icons look like a child made them, hell a child could probably do better!! I have used windows mobile for years and I am now on Android and I don't see myself switching. I think Microsoft is done when it comes to mobile OS's, I think WM7 wil be a big waste of time they are to far behind everyone else.
did you just say that the perfect flowing OS with active tiles look boring in comparison to a grid of icons? seriously?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO

itster is keeping up the good workitster is keeping up the good work

Quote:

microsoft has gone in a different direction to actually CHANGE the look of mobile devices. apple and google has gone the same direction palm/handspring did 10 years with grids of icons.

talk about unfinished... how many updates has android had? every 2 months they try and finish a product that is unfinished. apple keeps adding MS ideas ever time MS announces something.

it's you
Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch diamond
Carrier: TELUS

TKG26 is just getting started

that home screen is Fugly! Are there any other screens that we could see? If this is what we are waiting for.... yawwn.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 AM
truth mirror
Pocket PC: N Deuce

w7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuff

Quote:
I guess you didn't realize you don't have to buy one?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:36 AM
truth mirror
Pocket PC: N Deuce

w7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuff

A browser video comparison http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/e...ser-comparison
Old 08-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Threadstarter

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4f1050 View Post
Will WP7 be backwards compatible? Will you be able to install WM 6.x apps (.cab) on WP7? If not then there is a FAIL on WP7...
No, I think we all already know that the new OS is NOT backwards compatible- I mean, the classic WM/PocketPC framework contains elements of the UI that don't exist in WP7 (scroll bars, menu bar on top, background threading while apps are jumped into/out of, etc). Remember- don't think of the new OS as the next Windows Mobile version, rather think of it as the first ZUNE PHONE combined with some features people expect in a Windows branded device (Office, Exchange, etc). I think even IF you managed to find some code written for a previous version of CE that would actually run on the new CE core (which in it of itself isn't so simple I think), the UI elements missing would either make it display improperly or just crash.

That's assuming we managed to copy the files manually into the device because it does not support .cab files natively. So, I didn't really try it (not sure how I could, really) but I'm fairly certain the answer is a resounding NO.

Quote:
Yes, yes... I've been the biggest critic/opponent of 7 since the press releases. We'll all seen the demos and media presentation from a few months back... and it looked awfully cluttered to me. But let me ask you something- have you ever used a ZuneHD?
I touched one for the first time recently, and actually found the UI extremely intuitive. There's a reason people actually LIKE the Zune now (something I never expected to hear when the first Zune was released)...
Meanwhile, using WP7 in person was admittedly much nicer and less cluttered than the demos I saw.

I think it has to do with all the crap they populated it with for the demo- pictures of people and social networking contacts that aren't relevant to you, so it just seems like a big mess of stuff.
But when you see it clean, you see how simple it actually is- then if you start adding contacts and networks to sync, you start to see how the integration offers what is relevant to YOU in a way that is surprisingly elegant. I can't explain it really unless you've tried it.

I'm not saying its for all of us- I'm still not really interested in it personally for my own phone (Windows Mobile died with 6.5 as far as I'm concerned), however don't dismiss it too quickly. Its actually not half bad.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions