PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 11:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

derfnoslen is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anyone happy with wm7 reviews?

PocketNow has a few videos on its site that talk about how developers have many options for creating apps. Wmpoweruserd also has a video about a developers view on wm7. I do like windows minimalistic atake on the UI putting content first.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
I hear your argument Dave about locking down the OS for stability and such but that sounds like Microsoft copping out to me and being lazy. Windows ME was Microsoft worst OS, did Microsoft close the OS with Windows 2000 or XP? No, they fixed the operating system and made it more stable, with all the great minds within Microsoft the same could have happened with Windows Mobile had they truly tried, they didn't have to close the OS, they could have fixed what was broken but still provided choice. I see a phone as being no different then a regular computer as far as open/closed is concerned, if Microsoft said that it was closing Windows 7 to only approved apps people everywhere would freak out. What's the limitation in our phones that makes it impossible to fix the flaws that cause it to become that unstable? Android is a ported Linux OS and iOS is a ported Unix OS, but leave it to Microsoft to have to create something entirely new because they lack the innovations the other two companies have.
As I 100% agree with the fact that Windows ME was the biggest piece of crap Microsoft ever made (besides Microsoft Bob), I am in IT and I used to call it Windows Ass (not kidding).

I think it will be hard to compare WIndows Phone 7 with Windows on the desktop and you comparing "7" phones does not fit at all. Windows support millions of different types hardware (video cards, scanner, harddrives, CPUS, printers...should I go on ?) mobile phones should not.

Again, another problem with Windows Mobile/PocketPC, OEMs where allowed to do anything here too. Microsoft only sold licences to PocketPC, allowing OEMs to create what they wanted within some minor guide lines.

So, you will get a super powerfull phone and others ran like crap because a OEM wanted to make a cheaper devices. Some oddball hardware with poorly written drivers, caused major problems. Over the years, it has spawned a little out of control, some nice features but, not gobal on all models so, if the other OEM came out with that feature, it might need to recreate the driver needed and there comes problems.

Microsoft wants to control the hardware and the software to keep up quality control and sad to say, I 100% agree, again as long as it's done right and fair for programmers (MS needs to do this, a Device is only as good as it's apps and WP7 is starting over).

Not trying to go off topic too much here but.... Do you know why Apple products work so well ? Why they always run smooth and seem really quick for what they are ??

Apple designs, programs, manufactures, packages and markets their own products. I have always said, if Microsoft made their own computers, designed in house, they would be the ultimate computers.

Same with phones, they can't make the hardware but, they can take control on how it's done. By doing this, they can attempt to get it right this time.

I've been a WM user from PocketPC 1.0 and have seen the problems over the years, that is why I think this is a good idea, at least try it.

Just my 0.02.....

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 07-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
As I 100% agree with the fact that Windows ME was the biggest piece of crap Microsoft ever made (besides Microsoft Bob), I am in IT and I used to call it Windows Ass (not kidding).

I think it will be hard to compare WIndows Phone 7 with Windows on the desktop and you comparing "7" phones does not fit at all. Windows support millions of different types hardware (video cards, scanner, harddrives, CPUS, printers...should I go on ?) mobile phones should not.

Again, another problem with Windows Mobile/PocketPC, OEMs where allowed to do anything here too. Microsoft only sold licences to PocketPC, allowing OEMs to create what they wanted within some minor guide lines.

So, you will get a super powerfull phone and others ran like crap because a OEM wanted to make a cheaper devices. Some oddball hardware with poorly written drivers, caused major problems. Over the years, it has spawned a little out of control, some nice features but, not gobal on all models so, if the other OEM came out with that feature, it might need to recreate the driver needed and there comes problems.

Microsoft wants to control the hardware and the software to keep up quality control and sad to say, I 100% agree, again as long as it's done right and fair for programmers (MS needs to do this, a Device is only as good as it's apps and WP7 is starting over).

Not trying to go off topic too much here but.... Do you know why Apple products work so well ? Why they always run smooth and seem really quick for what they are ??

Apple designs, programs, manufactures, packages and markets their own products. I have always said, if Microsoft made their own computers, designed in house, they would be the ultimate computers.

Same with phones, they can't make the hardware but, they can take control on how it's done. By doing this, they can attempt to get it right this time.

I've been a WM user from PocketPC 1.0 and have seen the problems over the years, that is why I think this is a good idea, at least try it.

Just my 0.02.....
I'm all for standardizing minimum requirements for hardware and some of the other things you mentioned, but you can enforce most of that with a modification of the licensing agreement you require the hardware vendors to accept before they can build devices with your OS on it. Microsoft didn't have to close the WP7 platform, that was too excessive in my opinion. This isn't supposed to be a gaming system, which has always been closed platform, it's supposed to be a business class phone that does other things, which used to be an open platform. I pay about $36,000 a year, every year, to Microsoft for a Campus Agreement. How about throwing me a bone, and allow middle states accredited schools and enterprise level customers a waiver and access to native mode so that I can do my job properly.

I too work in IT and if I want to make a SQL front end app for my proprietary CRM systems , I shouldn't have to break FERPA regulations exposing my data unnecessarily while Microsoft looks through my companies code to "approve it", before I can run it on our mobile phones. I also don't want MY app in the store so that other people can buy/use it either. We've been waiting forever for HTC and other companies to break installing crappy 400-528 MHz CPUs in their phones for years, only to finally start seeing SnapDragon and Hummingbird CPUs but then neuter the OS that business class customers want and need to run their business efficiently.

What is with technology companies all of a sudden taking 2 steps forward, and then 10 steps back?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint SERO

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 2 Bunny Send a message via Skype™ to 2 Bunny
Post MOBILE 7 FAIL Reply

Quote:

What is with technology companies all of a sudden taking 2 steps forward, and then 10 steps back?
LOL! More like 20...

- 2 Bunny
Old 07-29-2010, 10:10 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

JamesHulsmann is just getting started

Quote:
...but leave it to Microsoft to have to create something entirely new because they lack the innovations the other two companies have.
They create something new because they lack innovation?

Please explain how that is possible...
Old 07-29-2010, 10:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

JamesHulsmann is just getting started

Quote:
I'm not bias either...
Based on your posting in this thread, it would be hard to assume that your NOT biased... Or hard to assume you really know what yout talking about half of the time. lulz
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHulsmann View Post
Based on your posting in this thread, it would be hard to assume that your NOT biased... Or hard to assume you really know what yout talking about half of the time. lulz
You must be new here, I complain about the faults and successes of all the mobile OS's/carriers and call things they way they are, and how I see them, so yes I say again, I'm not biased specificity against Microsoft, currently though, I don't like the way their mobile division of the company is moving to.

As far as knowing what I'm talking about, let me know when you have the responsibility of running the entire IT department of a college and sit on a few local businesses technology boards that drive what technology directions those companies move toward. These are my opinions you don't have to like or accept them, you just have to read them first thoroughly, if you come into a thread that I comment on and attempt to comment on me or what I know.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions