PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & MS 3.5
Carrier: Sprint

SKS06460 is keeping up the good workSKS06460 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Windows Phone 7 Detailed Review: Should I just Go Android Now?

I don't understand. From everything I've read, Windows Phone 7 is different from WM6.5. So much so, that it is essentially a completely new OS. If I have to migrate to a new OS, than why bother with this instead of going with PALM's new OS or even Android.
I don't want to have to migrate all my files and information, particularly my calendar into a new OS.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:18 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

timezone is becoming a great contributor

Microsoft may have wanted to take over the desktop but Google wants to take over the world. Move to Android and you are supporting the advancement of everything becoming Google except for maybe Pepsi. Not to mention you are supporting an Ad based environment that requires Google to know everything about you. Give MS a chance. This first iteration may miss the mark a bit but they will get there.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:12 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
Microsoft may have wanted to take over the desktop but Google wants to take over the world. Move to Android and you are supporting the advancement of everything becoming Google except for maybe Pepsi. Not to mention you are supporting an Ad based environment that requires Google to know everything about you. Give MS a chance. This first iteration may miss the mark a bit but they will get there.
From what I see.. you're also supporting a better, and OPEN source OS. And if you think google are the only people that know everything about you.. then I feel sorry for you.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Cellular South

jfoster38122 is a n00b

I admit I am an Android fan. With all the viruses MS has to face are there any plans to combat that? I have not seen anything yet to make me wanna jump ship. I love my big screened EVO
Old 08-08-2010, 09:06 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoster38122 View Post
I admit I am an Android fan. With all the viruses MS has to face are there any plans to combat that? I have not seen anything yet to make me wanna jump ship. I love my big screened EVO
What?!?!....I think you are misunderstanding...there is not many viruses if any for phone OS yet....

That said..there is a little misunderstanding...the main reason why windows has so many viruses is because of the fact that it has so many users..so if you are making a virus..you would usually target the largest possible audience....in retro spec Mac and even Linux may have just as many security holes...they are just not found as the OS are used less frequently...of course linux may be a bit more secure due to its open source nature...

On the original topic..there is really no reason not to choose Android over WP7....by common trends new OS are always faulty and have lots of bugs with little QC and lack of features...WP7 may be worth looking at a year from now...but as it stands its a new OS....Android on the other hand has started to reach maturity.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
What?!?!....I think you are misunderstanding...there is not many viruses if any for phone OS yet....

That said..there is a little misunderstanding...the main reason why windows has so many viruses is because of the fact that it has so many users..so if you are making a virus..you would usually target the largest possible audience....in retro spec Mac and even Linux may have just as many security holes...they are just not found as the OS are used less frequently...of course linux may be a bit more secure due to its open source nature...

On the original topic..there is really no reason not to choose Android over WP7....by common trends new OS are always faulty and have lots of bugs with little QC and lack of features...WP7 may be worth looking at a year from now...but as it stands its a new OS....Android on the other hand has started to reach maturity.
I do love Android, but the thought of a brand spanking new OS is pretty enticing, I'll basically have an Android Phone and a winpho7 phone, once they port Android to Winpho7 phones (a la my HD2) then I may go back to one phone.

With my HD2 getting amazing benchmarks on Froyo (5000+ on quadrant) I would actually much rather have this dual-boot phone over an Evo, although admittedly I'll take a Galaxy S over this set up.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:35 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
I do love Android, but the thought of a brand spanking new OS is pretty enticing, I'll basically have an Android Phone and a winpho7 phone, once they port Android to Winpho7 phones (a la my HD2) then I may go back to one phone.

With my HD2 getting amazing benchmarks on Froyo (5000+ on quadrant) I would actually much rather have this dual-boot phone over an Evo, although admittedly I'll take a Galaxy S over this set up.
A new OS can be fun to try but if your gonna put up 500$ for a device you at least want some maturity..I mean was Android really worth it at 1.0? (and I dont mean 1.5 or 1.6 I mean 1.0...)..other concern could be with a tight deadline M$ may not QC everything well as well...

Though how did you get 5000 quadrant on the HD2? can I see a screenshot? that doesn't sound right :/
Old 08-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

I can see the mobile OS market boiling down to the big movers and shakers: iOS, Android, and WP7.

iOS has proven itself whether you are a fan or not...same with Android. While WP7 may still share some DNA with old WM OS, it's gonna be totally new and with that there will be some backlash...as with anything new.

Will I get a first generation WP7 device? No....never buy the first generation of anything...that includes, but is not limited to Ford Pintos, iPhones, water beds, shotguns, Sony laptop batteries, and airplanes.

Regardless of the success or lack of success of WP7 it's new and it hopefully pushes iOS and Android (and others) to not rest on their current offerings. It's through this competition that new ideas are hatched and new products are born.

I wouldn't want to be restricted to one or two operating systems that are happy to just "get by"....nomesayin'?

late,
Coz
Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
I can see the mobile OS market boiling down to the big movers and shakers: iOS, Android, and WP7.
Have you forgotten about webOs by HP...and in 2011 MeeGo(probably will be the biggest Android competitor for open source) will come out backed by Intel and Nokia.

I see 2011 as a war zone where only the fittest will survive >.>

Last edited by gTen; 08-18-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Haven't forgotten about WebOS at all (am a Palm Pre owner myself)....however I fear that HP may forget about WebOS.

IMHO, WebOS is the best mobile OS on the street today. Palm failed at marketing it better and the hopes of seeing a new handset running WebOS seem to be fading.

As far as MeeGo goes, I don't see it worming it's way into the U.S. market...but that's just me.

late,
Coz
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions