PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

TripleAgent is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Windows Phone 7 Detailed Review: Should I just Go Android Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
Don't get me wrong I understand the market MS wants to go after, but I could care less about pictures and social networking sites. I use my phone for business mostly and I hope it won't be hard to "get that stuff outta my face."
Yeah, pretty much my sentiment. Office looks lame, they have zero plans to offer anything with a keyboard, and I don't want to use their software to transfer files, especially since I know I won't buy anything from it. I'm going to Android as soon as the Epic releases. I've kinda promised myself to give WP7 a shot, but it doesn't sound like what I want: WM 6.5 done well without gestapo interface and DRM restrictions and intrusive software. Android (rooted most likely) seems like the far and away choice for power users.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

aiiee is keeping up the good workaiiee is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
Don't get me wrong I understand the market MS wants to go after, but I could care less about pictures and social networking sites. I use my phone for business mostly and I hope it won't be hard to "get that stuff outta my face."
It may be zippy, but if it doesn't have the functionality I want, I am perfectly happy to stay with my CHT / Mr. X powered little old lady of a phone.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touchpro 2

dayznfuz is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleAgent View Post
Yeah, pretty much my sentiment. Office looks lame, they have zero plans to offer anything with a keyboard, and I don't want to use their software to transfer files, especially since I know I won't buy anything from it. I'm going to Android as soon as the Epic releases. I've kinda promised myself to give WP7 a shot, but it doesn't sound like what I want: WM 6.5 done well without gestapo interface and DRM restrictions and intrusive software. Android (rooted most likely) seems like the far and away choice for power users.
What do you mean? The keyboard slider is one of the form factors that WP 7 allows.

The interface doesn't bother me too much. I still haven't read anywhere about how rigid they are with the tiles. If they can be skinned (ie their photo gallery tile or the xbox tile), that opens up a lot of possibilities for customizaiton.

Anyway, I'm also on the fence about WP7, but more because of the walled garden concept. But, I'm willing to wait and see how "walled" it really is. If MS decideds to go all gestapo on rooted phones ala Apple, I'll pass. If this is a walled garden in name only, I'll probably bite.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

TripleAgent is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayznfuz View Post
What do you mean? The keyboard slider is one of the form factors that WP 7 allows.

The interface doesn't bother me too much. I still haven't read anywhere about how rigid they are with the tiles. If they can be skinned (ie their photo gallery tile or the xbox tile), that opens up a lot of possibilities for customizaiton.

Anyway, I'm also on the fence about WP7, but more because of the walled garden concept. But, I'm willing to wait and see how "walled" it really is. If MS decideds to go all gestapo on rooted phones ala Apple, I'll pass. If this is a walled garden in name only, I'll probably bite.
Maybe I'm on old info, I read somewhere they have no support/plans for hardware keyboards in the spec. Also, I don't care how much they promise, thanks to Android, I don't have to give up copy/paste, multitasking and other things, even if they "will eventually be added". That sounds like doubletalk for "maybe if we feel like it". I feel like their thought process was totally wrong on designing this. It's like they want to be Apple so bad, they dumped the best parts of what they already had.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleAgent View Post
It's like they want to be Apple so bad, they dumped the best parts of what they already had.
I would expect nothing better from Microsoft, the company that survives by copying other's successes, then trying to kill them in the marketplace.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

aximtreo is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post
Paul Thurrott does the TWIT Windows Weekly podcast and know more about Windows than most has produced a quick detailed review:

http://www.winsupersite.com/mobile/wp7_handson.asp

I have to say that reading this review about the poor integration of Office and the need to run Zune on my PC makes me want to drop Windows Mobile sooner rather than later and learn to love Android.

I am very familiar with Windows IDs and their version of the Cloud, and this is what they are pushing, but it pales in comparison to Google's and if I can't get basic compatibility with Office, why bother. I don't think I'll stick with Windows Mobile 6.5 for very long without anything on the horizon....
I haven't read the article nor the rest of this thread but had to comment on your comment regarding WM7 integration of Office made me laugh. I've been on Droid since last November and if you want poor Office integration, try Android. I can't sync Outlook without having to go through transferring all calendars or contacts into Google and then have it sync with my Droid. That means that all my data is on the google cloud server; potential security risk there. The other way is to buy a third party program costing upwards of $40 and it doesn't do a very good sync job at all. Did I mention that you also have to have a program other than Mobile Office to use Word, Excel or PP.

So becareful of what you wish for. I'm sticking with my Droid until I see what MS offers in the WM7 but you can bet that whatever it is will be a more easy and seamless approach when using other MS programs which millions of us do and have done for years. Comfort factor will become a major selling point in the next few months.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I have to admit I have not tried Andoid, and I understand its limitations. What I want is a simple way to move contacts, appointments and podcasts (music) back and forth between phone and PC. AS and and WMP are a nightmare, but one in which I have been stuck for years due to my work environment.

Reading between the lines, what I think MS is going to do is try to force you to use their Mesh/live Sync/Sky Drive:

http://www.winsupersite.com/live/sync.asp

If you have used their sky applications, which I have, you will see the continuing evolution of procedures, standards and application so you have little idea of what is going on.

This is not what I want... you hate Android... try MSs version. I do not want my stuff up in the cloud somewhere in the hands of Google or MS. But if this is the new way to synch contacts, I am going to buy 7 TP2s and keep them for a decade even if I have to use AS.

BTW, just think of any personal notes you have in the notes fields of your Outlook contacts....

Frustrated and Ranting in California.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

As far as WinMo, it doesn't get any easier than MyPhone to sync everything up.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Moved to General Winpho7 forum
Old 07-21-2010, 11:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

I also thought the review was pretty postitive.... I hope Microsoft does not forget us users who want some nice features and what we expect on Windows Mobile.

I just hate the fact that there is no file system. I love to use my phone to backup files and move them from Machine to machine, if needed. Also RDC for machine management.

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions