PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Handset Options (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=127899)

hysonmb 07-07-2010 07:25 AM

Handset Options

Looking at the requirements that MS has provided to the OEMs for WP7 handsets, what are they going to be able to do to make one device more appealing than the other?
The minimum requirements are designed to give the optimal experience with the OS so more RAM, a faster processor, etc may be pointless. It would come down to physical features: keyboard / no keyboard, speaker quality, ability to sustain a connection while held in various ways.... Other than that, what would make a person want an HTC device any more than a Samsung or Motorola?

AZTECHKA 07-07-2010 11:12 AM

Re: Handset Options

Brand loyalty... Looks... OLED screen... Color... 4G compatibility... Battery life...
To name a few. Faster processor and more ram are also considerations as Microsoft has set up minimum requirements and not specific standards. This would make all WP7 phones the same in and out.

For example... If the LG phone that's out there comes to Sprint... I will have to wait to get my WP7 phone till another manufacturer comes out with another Sprint phone inspite of the fact that the LG phone has a physical keyboard and I love physical keyboards. I don't like LG quality, build, feel, look. So... Hopefully I have a choice.
p.

hysonmb 07-08-2010 08:04 AM

Good points. I would hope that any phones bound for Sprint take advantage of the 4G network, if they don't they're missing an opportunity to shine and I'll end up picking up an Andriod phone to replace my Touch Pro 2. Screen resolution and battery life would certainly come into play even though there are minimal requirements, excelling in those areas would be selling points. I'm flexible on the form factor since most handsets look pretty nice these days but I won't buy something that looks slapped together either.

timezone 08-28-2010 09:49 PM

What is the deal with Sprint? All the talk is about whether Verizon will have the phone and that it is AT&T and Tmobile. There has not been one peep from the phone manufactures or Sprint or the blogs about whether Sprint will or will not participate. In other words it is as if Sprint doesn't even exist.

brownhornet 08-31-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timezone (Post 1927463)
What is the deal with Sprint? All the talk is about whether Verizon will have the phone and that it is AT&T and Tmobile. There has not been one peep from the phone manufactures or Sprint or the blogs about whether Sprint will or will not participate. In other words it is as if Sprint doesn't even exist.

Because at the moment I dont think Sprint cares.. with the Evo doing so well and the Epic launching today they have sunk a lot of money into advertising as of lately.

AZTECHKA 08-31-2010 03:34 PM

Besides... It builds up tension and when they actually release the WP7 phone in November sometime... We will all be clammering to get one. And they'll be able to put another notch on their belt.
I hate it... But it makes perfect sense not to overload the market. Keep the popular phones going till they sell out.
Then the next and then the next.
p.