PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Windows Phone 7 Not Having Removable Memory Card

So, is anyone making their decision to switch to Windows Phone 7 solely on the fact that they are not going to allow removable memory cards? (Not to mention no multitasking or copy&paste)
Old 04-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Windows Phone 7 Not Having Removable Memory Card

Not me...
I have decided to try it out right away. I've heard the card can be removed... You will loose all your data but then you will re synch with the cloud. So Not really locked in I guess.
Either way. I have a 16 gb card in my TP2 right now and half of it is used up by Pictures and videos (if synched to the cloud this memory will also free up), music I rarely listen too since Slacker radio/wunder radio/pandora...
And by cabs that are already installed (just like to have them handy). So it really shouldn't be too bad as long as there's direct and live access to the cloud... You shouldn't need much storage space on your phone.
We'll see.
p.

Last edited by AZTECHKA; 04-22-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 AM
krjcook

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Naw, it doesn't really bother me. It's been stated that the devices will support MicroSD cards, but there not user-replaceable, if your not wary of hardware.

There's nothing physically holding you back from upgrading the storage. All devices are require that he OS be installed on the 512MB or 1GB ROM, everything is else on a separate MicroSD card that is sitting into a microSD card slot. What I think MS means is that they don't want the average/mainstream user to have to worry about buying or losing card the card. But you can upgrade it, but you must be a little tech savvy.
  • Take off the battery cover
  • Remove the battery
  • Remove the back casing
  • VoilĂ*, there's your MicroSD slot... Well unless the phone has the slot behind the LCD display then your gonna have to do a who bunch more tinkling around the device.

Replacing the card will cause a hard-reset, but that's nothing a restart, back-up, or resyncing to your PC won't fix.

I'm guessing that MS is implying that the hardware vendors for WP7 take the multiple SKU route. Similar to the iPhone where there's multiple capacities like 16GB and 32GB, but unlike the iPhone it has MicroSD card not flash memory that's soldered on the board.

You have to understand that 8GB is minimum amount of storage for a WP7 device. I'm sure there will be vendors that will use as much as 16GB, 32GB to differentiate themselves from the rest and give they're device an edge when compared.

Last edited by krjcook; 04-23-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

WHAT!?!?!?
WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!?
WHY WASN'T I TOLD!?
I'M ALWAYS THE LAST TO KNOW!!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Threadstarter

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Ive decided to give Microsoft another chance. I just hate not having the different apps that would be very useful to me because they only make it for android or iphone. We'll see what happens. Plus it will give me a chance to continue saving money by not switching my Sero plan.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

937dytboi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I guess we are starting over with the app scene
Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC ARRIVE
Carrier: sprint

havox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us View Post
So, is anyone making their decision to switch to Windows Phone 7 solely on the fact that they are not going to allow removable memory cards? (Not to mention no multitasking or copy&paste)
i dont think anybody ever chooses to switch to something for the sole fact that they are gonna take away things, but im switching to wp7 inspite of those things

Dank-Ass Robba

Old 04-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us View Post
Ive decided to give Microsoft another chance. I just hate not having the different apps that would be very useful to me because they only make it for android or iphone. We'll see what happens. Plus it will give me a chance to continue saving money by not switching my Sero plan.
I seriously doubt winpho7 phones will be available on SERO
Old 04-30-2010, 02:19 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

I'm not happy about the SD card thing but, I am out of a contract, have a $100 credit towards a new phone and some other things, so I am thinking about a new phone with a 2 year contract. I am holding tight till the new phones come out, as the current specs for WP7 phones look like the dream specs for a WM device. I would not buy anything today and expect it to be upgraded to WP7 and now that we are 6-8 months away, I might as well wait.

I sometimes find yanking my SD card out of my phone and put it directly in the PC, is faster to transfer music, videos and other files. It's much faster than waiting for active sync to connect and move files over. That is something that I will miss.

As long as I can rip out a 8/16gb at some point to put in a 32/64gb card, it will be acceptable.

As for Cut/Paste, I am sure it will be part of the Office apps at least, I use Cut/paste in Excel all the time and most people I know do. It's a needed feature and would be a huge mistake for Microsoft to not have it part of the OS...

The thing that pisses me off the most about WP7 is current apps won't work. I've invested way too much over the years just to dump them.

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-30-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions