PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: CDMA UNLOCKED Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

LinearBurn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLinearBurn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLinearBurn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLinearBurn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Understanding what WP7 is and the true pros/cons.

i bet money windows mobile 7 wont even be out of beta yet and it be hacked diced and choped before it even ships out the door the app intergration will be striped and 3rd party apps will run (PSP any one?) I bet most of the stuff we gripe abougth is still thre just disabled (multiasking ) makes more sence to build it in and disable it incase they need to turn it on same goes for the rest of the features that people gripe abought of if its not native ummm lol some one will get around it. the only constant thing is nuthing is 100% secure
Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

LinearBurn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLinearBurn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLinearBurn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLinearBurn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

also one thing you got to relise is the windows phoen 7 were seing atm is not targeted at bizness id expect a lot more of the stuff we use now ina serious phone no xbox bla bla whta corporation gives a rats ass abougth zune or xbox there will be a bizness branch that is geared for bizness that will probaly have a lot of the stuff were used to. just the standard consumer os is what were seing atm is my best guss. one question you got to ask is what bizness sence is there in alianating there core bizness. theres not so well see a biznes windows phone 7 at soem point ... bet money copy and past will be there 3rd party apps will be there ... multitasking probaly as some company's use legacy apps that are propratary. if not 6.5 is not dead far from it ... microsoft still is going to devolp the code branch for a while longer.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/sho...spx?i=3774&p=2

multitasking is in the os its just user locked out
Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Sure is ugly!
Old 03-27-2010, 01:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearBurn View Post
i bet money windows mobile 7 wont even be out of beta yet and it be hacked diced and choped before it even ships out the door the app intergration will be striped and 3rd party apps will run (PSP any one?) I bet most of the stuff we gripe abougth is still thre just disabled (multiasking ) makes more sence to build it in and disable it incase they need to turn it on same goes for the rest of the features that people gripe abought of if its not native ummm lol some one will get around it. the only constant thing is nuthing is 100% secure
Not sure why people are thinking like this. This is one of Microsoft's childs right now, they really want to see this become big and I can see why.

Hacking or anything on Windows Phone 7 would be shut down so fast it's not even funny. They seem to let us play with 6.5 but, I am sure 7.0 will be a different story.

If you have been here for a long time, you'll know the letters that MS sends when they don't like something and that means stop talking about it ASAP. Trust me when they say it...you stop talking about it (or end up in a big legal battle that would shut most sites down)

I'd bet any "true" hacking will be done underground, and most people would not even know where to look.

With this being said, I see the good and bad with WP7....still at a love/hate thing with it, I guess time will tell.

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 03-27-2010, 02:46 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
Not sure why people are thinking like this. This is one of Microsoft's childs right now, they really want to see this become big and I can see why.

Hacking or anything on Windows Phone 7 would be shut down so fast it's not even funny. They seem to let us play with 6.5 but, I am sure 7.0 will be a different story.

If you have been here for a long time, you'll know the letters that MS sends when they don't like something and that means stop talking about it ASAP. Trust me when they say it...you stop talking about it (or end up in a big legal battle that would shut most sites down)

I'd bet any "true" hacking will be done underground, and most people would not even know where to look.

With this being said, I see the good and bad with WP7....still at a love/hate thing with it, I guess time will tell.
It is not illegal to modify software as long as you don't plan to resell it and those that use it are licensed to use it. It is beyond M$ control....The reason why M$ is locking down the platform is because winmo was unusable unless hacked and many did not know about these things so they avoid M$ devices as being faulty...

Their attempt to lock down the platform is to prevent that negative publicity from happening...if a person knows how to unlock, they are more experienced then an average user because they actually seek information rather then rage quit on the phone.

I am not saying I agree with what M$ is doing and I think it will end up in shutdown of their mobile department but they are doing it to try to uphold an image and brand. They won't even have time to worry about people modifying their platform.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Trophy
Carrier: Verizon

Oxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

OP, your post is made of pure gold! I love it. I didn't even really hate Windows Phone 7, but after reading this post, I'm almost ready to guarantee that I'll buy it when it comes out.

And to add to all of your great points, I really believe XDA Developers and PPCGeeks will still be around after WP7S releases. That means we'll see TONS of upgrades with WP7S, regardless of whether the OS is open-source or not.

If Apple, as tyrannical as they are, can't lock down the iPhone, then Microsoft can't lock down WP7S. =)
Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Personally, I don't think WP7S will be an epic failure like a lot of folks here seem to think it will be. I personally am in the process of moving to Android (have my wife on a Hero now and I will be on the Sprint EVO 4G when it comes out) so I don't have any particular interest in it myself...

However, if MS and the hardware developers can position these phones at a price point that is competitive with the iPhone and really push it's ability to integrate with your life (Win7 PCs, XBox 360s, etc), it could prove to be a HUGE bolster for Windows Phones. As it is right now, WinMo only enjoys a small market share and that's mostly in the business community from what I understand. If MS can increase that market share with a more consumer focused OS (just look at the success Win7 has enjoyed) then I say more power to 'em...

For those that want to hack and slash or still need a business focused OS on their smartphone, I've read in a few places that MS still intends to support WinMo 6.5 for some time even after the release of WP7s (can't provide links to back it up, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that somewhere) so those that need to will still be able to stick with that.

So, again, even though I have no personal interest in it, and I can understand the complaints of many here with regards to many of the changes, I actually think MS is on to something good here and could potentially take away market share from the iPhone.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:15 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrigham View Post
Personally, I don't think WP7S will be an epic failure like a lot of folks here seem to think it will be. I personally am in the process of moving to Android (have my wife on a Hero now and I will be on the Sprint EVO 4G when it comes out) so I don't have any particular interest in it myself...

However, if MS and the hardware developers can position these phones at a price point that is competitive with the iPhone and really push it's ability to integrate with your life (Win7 PCs, XBox 360s, etc), it could prove to be a HUGE bolster for Windows Phones. As it is right now, WinMo only enjoys a small market share and that's mostly in the business community from what I understand. If MS can increase that market share with a more consumer focused OS (just look at the success Win7 has enjoyed) then I say more power to 'em...

For those that want to hack and slash or still need a business focused OS on their smartphone, I've read in a few places that MS still intends to support WinMo 6.5 for some time even after the release of WP7s (can't provide links to back it up, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that somewhere) so those that need to will still be able to stick with that.

So, again, even though I have no personal interest in it, and I can understand the complaints of many here with regards to many of the changes, I actually think MS is on to something good here and could potentially take away market share from the iPhone.
The problem is M$ put 6.5 in a position where developers see the platform as dieing like adobe and mozilla and others who stopped development half way. This pretty much means its dieing. I don't see what genius in their marketing made the decision to tell everyone its not backwards compatible..

Also for M$ its harder to get market share because they charge for the OS so no matter how much iphone costs wp7 will always be 25$ more..also M$ does not set selling cost, the manufacturers and carriers do.

iPhone also has the advantage because they earn a piece commission of your carrier plan..so they can give iphones out for free if they wanted to.

Also there is android who is paying manufacturers and carriers % of profit to use their phones.

So M$ has its work cut out for them
Old 03-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohowap View Post

1) No Multi-tasking.
2) No Side-Loading Applications.
3) No Backward Compatibility.
4) No Copy and Paste.
5) No file system.
6) No removable storage.
7) No USB Drive Mode.
No 3rd Party UI Replacements/Customization.
9) No Native Code Execution.
I'll bet you 12 fish tacos all 9 of those things are unlocked within 6 months of WM7 being released.

Last edited by orangekid; 04-28-2010 at 07:24 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions