PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Windows Phone 7 Discussion

In case you have not read it, here is the most recent news posted by MightyMike on the front page. He got it from a reliable contact.
Quote:
With the Mobile World Congress event making its way around the corner, we can all be for certain that it is inevitable for Windows Phone 7 to make its long awaited debut. That being said, there have been rumours floating about on what Windows Phone 7 might actually be? For months, almost a year we have seen images being leaked all over the interwebs and although we can all admit we were quite excited, the chances of it looking so or even being real for that matter were highly unlikely. Wait no more! PPCGeeks has some truly amazing information on what the Windows Phone 7 platform will deliver to our beloved handheld devices. All information detailed within may not be entirely official, although it is definitely the closest information we have heard on actually being real. Without wasting anymore time, lets jump into the nitty gritty.
-At the Mobile World Congress event on February 15th, 2010, Windows Phone 7 will be unveilved, although at this time plans are only to unveil the user interface of the new platform . Specific indepth functionality of the device will most likely not be shown.

-The User Interface is based upon codename “METRO”. It will be very similar to the Zune HD User Interface with a complete revamp of the “Start” screen. The UI is “Very Clean”, “Soulful” and “Alive”
-Unfortunately there will be no Flash support at the get go as there was not enough time to implement these features.
-Windows Phone 7 will only support application installation through service based delivery. (i.e Marketplace). Application installation via storage card will not be possible.
- No Multi-Task support. Applications will “Pause” when in the background, however will support notifications via push notifications.
-Marketplace will now support “try before you buy” as well as an API
-No NETCF backwards compatibility. This means the original rumor of no backward compatibility for applications holds to be true. That being said, there are high hopes of porting the NetCF to the newer platform easily.
-Microsoft is confident that devices will be ready by September 2010
-Full Zune Integration
-Windows Mobile Device Center will no longer be used. Zune software to take over syncing via PC.
-OEM Interfaces will not be allowed to run on the device. Say goodbye to Sense UI / SPB Mobile Shell / Point UI / Infinity, etc, etc
-Full XBOX Gaming Integration (Gamer tag, achievements, friends, avatars, merchandising, etc)
-Full support for social networking
There is a plethora of details to go through, although listed above are the biggest impact points of Windows Phone 7. Throughout the day we will be emerging more information as we delve deep into the depths of what might possibly be Windows Phone 7.
This is a lot of information to consume in one shot and there could very well be the possibility of it being once again another rumor, although one thing stands true. This is the most detailed promising information we’ve seen to date in a while. We will continue to update you as we find out more information.
I'm all for new things. But honestly... WHAT!?

Not trying to rant, but... Microsoft, this seems ridiculous! This is not a Windows device. It does not deserve to be called "Windows Mobile" or "Windows Phone" (btw, what's up with that name?) Everything that made Windows Mobile unique is now gone.

It has become a bad iPhone/Android imitation. And that is the last thing any of us expected.

This is no "upgrade". This should be called "Zune Phone", because it sure as hell has no qualities that allow any phone running to be called a Pocket PC.

I guess I should have learned a while ago... With Microsoft, sometimes its 1 step forward, 2 steps back. (In this case, 6.5 steps forward, 7 steps back). But you never know...

This could prove to be interesting. I look forward to seeing how this plays out, and what the final product is. From the info we have, it seems like a failure to me... But I hope it is not. I hope it stays true to Windows Mobile, but improves on what was lacking.

Then again, it could be a huge success even without staying true to Windows Mobile. Change IS good, and at some point we have to let go of the past.

Last edited by [sammich]; 02-06-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:32 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101
Re: Windows Phone 7 Discussion

Goodbye WinMo, hello Android
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

its very possible this is specs for the media centric phones eg the pink phone project and not the stripped OEM versions that manufacturers have received (or will receive anyway)
so I guess we will really have to see whether or not mwc will happen
Old 02-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio

gcianc is becoming a great contributor

nothing new here except more speculation but assuming it's all true...

wm6 pauses apps in the background. yawn.

netCF would require netCF porting/support on WP7 (which is inevitible). yawn

no cf card support fine since devices said to require 8?GB storage

no TF3D or alternate homescreen would be FANTASTIC we need to purge that bloated shovelware from phones (android ones too).

microsoft should encourage and mandate METRO plugins to enhance wp7 home NOT replace it.

big picture is everything here is welcome and needed for WP7 to compete in the smartphone arena.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ⌥ saumaun ☢ View Post
In case you have not read it, here is the most recent news posted by MightyMike on the front page. He got it from a reliable contact.
I'm all for new things. But honestly... WHAT!?
There was no real analysis done in that post and it is severely lacking some other information.

As I mentioned in another post, code referencing WM7 has been found in HTC's own builds of Sesne 2.5.

That right there is much more "proof" than what has been passed off today. Now, one could argue that the above Sense/WM7 info was wrong, erroneous, out of context, out-dated, etc. Fair enough.

But you can't just ignore this information, which basically refutes the post/tip. It certainly raises some flags, one would think.

Furthermore, it begs all sorts of questions like:
  • Do Enterprise customers care about Zune/XBox integration?
  • How does this relate to Project Pink/Zune phone?
  • Project Rouge?
  • How does this fit into the Business/Media edition rumors?
  • Why would a company like HTC just give up all brand identity after years of financial investment?
  • Are OEMs really going to be all relegated to just a generic phone maker with no brand ID? What is their incentive?
  • This goes against the iPhone model (no OEMs); goes against the Android model (many OEMs, customization). So where does this fit in?
  • How does this fit in with the bigger picture of what we know?
Simply ignoring all the above and acting like this is the only avenue for Seven is just bad reporting and spreading FUD. Context, history and relation to other information is pertinent for understanding the whole situation.

Certainly some of what has been posted is plausible. But it's also pretty evident that what this might be is Project Pink/Zune phone/WM7 Media Edition, not necessarily the stripped down 7.

When you see numerous rumors coming from various sites, contradicting each other, you have to ask (1) FUD or (2) Different OS/services/version? Frankly, MobileTechWorld, who received the same tip, presented more pertinent information and added much needed skepticism.

Fact is, very few know the big picture.

Last edited by Malatesta; 02-06-2010 at 06:57 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Tim Smith is keeping up the good workTim Smith is keeping up the good work

I have a crazy idea, a little unorthodox but hear me out. How about we WAIT UNTIL MICROSOFT ANNOUNCES SOMETHING OFFICIAL BEFORE FREAKING OUT AND JUMPING SHIP?! Holy hell people.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
There was no real analysis done in that post and it is severely lacking some other information.

As I mentioned in another post, code referencing WM7 has been found in HTC's own builds of Sesne 2.5.

That right there is much more "proof" than what has been passed off today. Now, one could argue that the above Sense/WM7 info was wrong, erroneous, out of context, out-dated, etc. Fair enough.

But you can't just ignore this information, which basically refutes the post/tip. It certainly raises some flags, one would think.

Furthermore, it begs all sorts of questions like:
  • Do Enterprise customers care about Zune/XBox integration?
  • How does this relate to Project Pink/Zune phone?
  • Project Rouge?
  • How does this fit into the Business/Media edition rumors?
  • Why would a company like HTC just give up all brand identity after years of financial investment?
  • Are OEMs really going to be all relegated to just a generic phone maker with no brand ID? What is their incentive?
  • This goes against the iPhone model (no OEMs); goes against the Android model (many OEMs, customization). So where does this fit in?
  • How does this fit in with the bigger picture of what we know?
Simply ignoring all the above and acting like this is the only avenue for Seven is just bad reporting and spreading FUD. Context, history and relation to other information is pertinent for understanding the whole situation.

Certainly some of what has been posted is plausible. But it's also pretty evident that what this might be is Project Pink/Zune phone/WM7 Media Edition, not necessarily the stripped down 7.

When you see numerous rumors coming from various sites, contradicting each other, you have to ask (1) FUD or (2) Different OS/services/version? Frankly, MobileTechWorld, who received the same tip, presented more pertinent information and added much needed skepticism.

Fact is, very few know the big picture.
Cant argue against that, but these are all test builds.Theres nothing arguing against why MS wouldnt decide otherwise and remove these features for several reasons

but the HD2 was noted a WM7 device, kind of broadening the picture here
Old 02-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

not that my opionon matters, but it just brings a little thought of where android is going as well as apple and MS trying to do an all in one project.

if it is rumored that MS is on a downhill plunge into the abis of long forgetten comps that died, and they are trying to put up the muster for one last breath before drowning why would we not expect anything less?

from the read on wmexperts, this info in first post i would say that seven would almost be an ipod, psp, type device with full phone feature. with complete zune intration and xbox it would sound to me that it is an mp3 player/xbox pocket type device. i would also think something like that would requir dual 1gh+ processors and more like a 2g ram/rom to support, and would def require external storge capibility.

i was hoping to see something more in a desktop type ui but i doubt that would ever come. with htc presenting sense on the hero platform couple months ago on youtube you can tell they put serious work into the ui almost as though they were not planning for seven to ever launch, giving them a head start. i could see htc dropping their own os and loosing windows if ms can't put forth.

i don't want to see a zune/xbox device personally, and i don't like motorolla devices. i don't see hd2 coming to sprint which i would skip the 7 update if rumors come true. i might be leaning back to android if htc could put out something more then the hero with same basic specs as my tp.

sprint called me last week and i had a chance to chat. although i doubt it to be true, the rep told me there was a new diamond coming to sprint that could be updated to seven. time will tell.

just my 2 cents
Old 02-08-2010, 01:25 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Before we get all depressed just remember a few things:

Technically Windows mobile phones are not supposed to be unlocked and reflashed with a custom ROM.
Technically Sprint TP2 devices are not supposed to have WMO 6.5 yet.
Tehcnically we are not suppose to be able to tether without a tether plan.

... and we all know how well these limitations held up.

So I'd take things with a grain of salt until the OS is actually released and the geniuses at XDA/PPCgeeks have some time with it.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

good point x10 and will consider that, but the rumors are getting me apperhensive (what ever, can't spell) and eager at the same time. all i do know is my tp gets worse every day, i am 800+ miles from home in the sticks of oklahoma for work and no sprint store for 50 miles. i need something else quicker then sprint and ms is getting something out. errrrrrrrg. thinking about what rep told me of new device coming soon with avail upgrade to wm7 and the rumor of supersonic (supposibly android) is making me wonder what it really is that's about to drop.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Tags
leak, official, windows mobile, windows phone 7