PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 12:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo 4g/bb 8310
Carrier: sprint/att

skoobz is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
windows 7: iphone series (2 steps forward, 3 steps back)

WTF is going on? sure, some of the stuff i was happy to (FINALLY) hear was going to be incorparated: cap tscreen, zune intergration and xbox live. but the more i learn about its offerings, the more shittier it becomes. if i wanted a damn shitty locked down dumbphone aka the iphone, i'd get one by now (hell, EVEN FREE with no monthly charges you still won't see me looking stupid with an iphone)(my work let us chose our own phones, and 1 out of 5 chose and iphone, the rest of us carry a blackberry)

this new os from the peeps at redmond are pissing me off. no ext flash mem?!! no multi-task? no usb functionality? you have to put stuff on the phone through the zune software like what apple forces you to do with the itunes?!! my personal phone is a sprint touch pro2 and that is the best phone and when i heard all the cool stuff that the guy on stage was showing off, i was floored. now reality sets in and it's like the iphone.

i guess once the newness wears off and the tp2 starts getting long in the tooth, i guess my next phone will have the sould of a webos and if they aren't around, then i'll be carrying 2 blackberries.

there is hope though...it's called series so many all the great stuff we expect (hackability, functionality, customizity (that's not a word)) will be on the windows 7 starter edition. or something.

what about any of you? do you share my frustration and dissapointment at windows iphone series?
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:10 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Re: windows 7: iphone series (2 steps forward, 3 steps back)

When are some of you going to realize that a business aims towards making money FIRST.... it's no secret that Microsoft saw how Apple was able to shoot past them and outsell them with ONE phone on one network compared to the variety of handsets available on a variety of carriers. It's also no secret to them that Android is now selling over 60,000 handsets a day.. they know they have to go in a different direction and they figured if the iphone was setting standards then maybe it would be a good idea to follow.

This isnt different than anything in history when it comes to marketing and goods. Sure, people here will be bent out of shape because of the noncustomization of it but in the grand scheme of things they will probably sell more units and make more money. For once in the last 5 years, they're actually creating a little buzz over the release of this thing. You cant expect a company to keep using a method that obviously isnt working for them when they're constantly losing marketshare. and will more than likely continue at the rate that google is cranking out phones.

Personally ill probably never purchase another windows phone after the TP2 but I do understand that a business is a business first. They dont care about people being pissed about not being able to flash or use a memory card... they care about making money. It is what it is.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro2/Touch Pro/Diamond

Atomic2Mod is keeping up the good workAtomic2Mod is keeping up the good work

Business might be business - but a ppc is a ppc - and that's what I want.

From what I've read, this new WP is aimed towards a demographic of 38 year old men & women, married, kids, semi professional, very socially active. Same crowd that Droid & WebOS is shooting for.

If I can't choose what my phone gives me in daily info, I don't need that phone. Talk about bloating a device.

In it's current state, WP7 utterly useless for my needs.

I'll be the retro dino user, who opts for WM6.89 down the road.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

daoom is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic2Mod View Post
From what I've read, this new WP is aimed towards a demographic of 38 year old men & women, married, kids, semi professional, very socially active. Same crowd that Droid & WebOS is shooting for.
I'm (almost) that crowd and based on what I've heard even I don't want it. My bet is that unless the OS is only superficially "locked" then a lot of the people who buy PPCs now will desert the Windows Mobile platform in favor of something like Android while MS sells to a whole new market.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoom View Post
I'm (almost) that crowd and based on what I've heard even I don't want it. My bet is that unless the OS is only superficially "locked" then a lot of the people who buy PPCs now will desert the Windows Mobile platform in favor of something like Android while MS sells to a whole new market.
that last part is what i think a lot of people are missing. microsoft doesnt want only the business crowd anymore, the want the average everyday person. there are much more of those in the world than power users and especially more than people like us that love customizing. business is business
Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bondosho is a n00b

I think what they are showing is the stuff for the general social and trendy market. Let's face it, that's what sells. I'm pretty sure there is going to be a WP7 Pro or something with a lot of features for power users.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

whetzel is becoming a great contributor

I have to agree with the OP.

I 'was' excited about WM7, but the more I find out about it, the more I hate it.

I can understand that it's a business for Microsoft, but how is it going to hurt them to be able to customize you phone a little? From what I understand, you can't even skin it.

I'm sure the soccer moms and iPhone wanabe's will love it, but if feels like they're completely abandoning their loyal WM users.

Like I said, I 'was' excited about WM7, but it looks like my TP2 will be my last WM phone.

Android, here I come.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo 4g/bb 8310
Carrier: sprint/att
Threadstarter

skoobz is becoming a great contributor

valid points but when will they realize that they're not going to recapture that market share? even though the new zune is leaps and bounds better than its predessesor, it still trails far, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar behind the ipod touch. if this new phone looks, smells, feels, tastes, acts, pokes, eats, fingers, quacks like an iphone, why not just get the real thing? ms will still be where they are now.

if that's the case, then they should just have 2 os, one for my grandma, and one for me. is that too much to ask?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Tim Smith is keeping up the good workTim Smith is keeping up the good work

I love how all these so called "loyal" users are so quick to jump ship several months before a product is even launched or the public has a chance to get it's hands on it. Doesn't sound to loyal to me.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Tim Smith is keeping up the good workTim Smith is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobz View Post
valid points but when will they realize that they're not going to recapture that market share? even though the new zune is leaps and bounds better than its predessesor, it still trails far, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar behind the ipod touch. if this new phone looks, smells, feels, tastes, acts, pokes, eats, fingers, quacks like an iphone, why not just get the real thing? ms will still be where they are now.

if that's the case, then they should just have 2 os, one for my grandma, and one for me. is that too much to ask?
Netscape was waaaaaaay ahead of internet explorer in the early days. Good thing you weren't running Microsoft back then.

What if I don't like the one they make for your grandma or the one they make for you? Should they make three? How about four? How about hundreds of versions just to be safe!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions