PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro & Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

tsperez is keeping up the good worktsperez is keeping up the good worktsperez is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stolen Phone Contacts!

My wife's cell phone was stolen on Saturday night. I reported it stolen on Sunday at about noon. Since Monday was a holiday I waited until Tuesday to replace it. Got the phone and activated that same day.

Now the weird stuff... on Wednesday, after my wife had added about 10 contacts on Tuesday, she noticed an additional 9 contacts (names and phone numbers) in her contacts. One is even labeled "Mom"!

Does anybody know how this can happen? Btw, we kept the same number that she had before and I asked several Sprint people if this would be a problem and they all assured me that it would not be a problem.

I am about to report this to the police. Seems like it would be an easy case for them if they just follow up on some of the numbers listed. The phone was stolen at a wedding so the list of suspects is limited.

Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated. I worry more for the data on the phone than the actual value of it (Sprint Samsung Instinct).

Thanks,
tsp
PS: Also posted on XDA site.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ..
Carrier: ..

shadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowmite is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Stolen Phone Contacts!

Wrong forum I believe, but yes. If she was using exchange sync then anyone adding new contacts without reseting the device would be adding them to her account. Certainly report this to the police...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

robsta is keeping up the good workrobsta is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Diamond: HTC-P4600/1.2 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

Yep, +1! If she was using any over the air syncing program such as Google Sync, Microsoft Myphone, or Microsoft Exchange, then any contacts that were added to the phone would be synced to her account(s).

Defintely contact the authorities, you have their personal contacts now.

EDIT: On the Instinct, I think it uses a Sprint app to sync contacts, its called Sprint Backup or something like that.

Last edited by robsta; 10-15-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio, Moto Droid, Palm Pixi Plus
Carrier: VZW

obxKevin is becoming a great contributor

I love busting on petty thieves, please keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:35 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Yeah, keep us posted.That person that stole the phone is a real As*hole!!!
I don't know if the Police are going to want to get involved with this though. Maybe if there was a rash of stolen phones in the same area or maybe if the cop is having a bad day and wants to bust some balls
Too bad you didn't have a GPS tracking program on it. You could have then tracked the phone to a specific location
And a few registry tweaks
HTC DIAMOND DISASSEMBLY/ASSEMBLY/PARTS/REPAIR HELP HERE >

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"
-Ben Franklin
Old 10-16-2009, 10:14 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

lol i gps tracked my phone once... it ended up being at the police station. the guy who stole it got a dwi
Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
lol i gps tracked my phone once... it ended up being at the police station. the guy who stole it got a dwi
now thats karma if i ever seen it haahahhaa
Old 10-17-2009, 03:56 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
Good for that ahole
Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff

so did you catch the person who stole it yet?

Old 10-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

I think this is the right forum (unless another mod moved it before I'm posting this).

And holy crap, this is an awesome story! Keep us posted! Call his mother and tell him what he has done

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions