PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Stolen Phone Contacts! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=90632)

tsperez 10-14-2009 12:40 PM

Stolen Phone Contacts!

My wife's cell phone was stolen on Saturday night. I reported it stolen on Sunday at about noon. Since Monday was a holiday I waited until Tuesday to replace it. Got the phone and activated that same day.

Now the weird stuff... on Wednesday, after my wife had added about 10 contacts on Tuesday, she noticed an additional 9 contacts (names and phone numbers) in her contacts. One is even labeled "Mom"!

Does anybody know how this can happen? Btw, we kept the same number that she had before and I asked several Sprint people if this would be a problem and they all assured me that it would not be a problem.

I am about to report this to the police. Seems like it would be an easy case for them if they just follow up on some of the numbers listed. The phone was stolen at a wedding so the list of suspects is limited.

Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated. I worry more for the data on the phone than the actual value of it (Sprint Samsung Instinct).

Thanks,
tsp
PS: Also posted on XDA site.

shadowmite 10-14-2009 12:46 PM

Re: Stolen Phone Contacts!

Wrong forum I believe, but yes. If she was using exchange sync then anyone adding new contacts without reseting the device would be adding them to her account. Certainly report this to the police...

robsta 10-15-2009 07:51 AM

Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Diamond: HTC-P4600/1.2 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

Yep, +1! If she was using any over the air syncing program such as Google Sync, Microsoft Myphone, or Microsoft Exchange, then any contacts that were added to the phone would be synced to her account(s).

Defintely contact the authorities, you have their personal contacts now.

EDIT: On the Instinct, I think it uses a Sprint app to sync contacts, its called Sprint Backup or something like that.

obxKevin 10-15-2009 02:52 PM

I love busting on petty thieves, please keep us posted on the outcome.

Biker1 10-16-2009 01:35 AM

Yeah, keep us posted.That person that stole the phone is a real As*hole!!!
I don't know if the Police are going to want to get involved with this though. Maybe if there was a rash of stolen phones in the same area or maybe if the cop is having a bad day and wants to bust some balls :mrgreen:
Too bad you didn't have a GPS tracking program on it. You could have then tracked the phone to a specific location :)

ou2mame 10-16-2009 10:14 PM

lol i gps tracked my phone once... it ended up being at the police station. the guy who stole it got a dwi

D/\SH 10-16-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ou2mame (Post 1241825)
lol i gps tracked my phone once... it ended up being at the police station. the guy who stole it got a dwi

now thats karma if i ever seen it haahahhaa

Biker1 10-17-2009 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ou2mame (Post 1241825)

Good for that ahole :)

gmfeny 10-18-2009 11:19 PM

so did you catch the person who stole it yet?

[sammich] 10-22-2009 02:12 AM

I think this is the right forum (unless another mod moved it before I'm posting this).

And holy crap, this is an awesome story! Keep us posted! Call his mother and tell him what he has done :D