PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Moving cabs from device to card. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=89138)

damendaman 10-06-2009 05:31 PM

Moving cabs from device to card.

When I was new to this whole PPC thing I was always installing my cabs to my device instead of my SD card because I didn't know the advantage it gives when flashing new ROMs.

Well I was wondering if there is a way to move all of the cabs I have installed on my device over to my card without reinstalling them all?

Thanks!

Damen

BigDiesel07 10-06-2009 05:37 PM

Re: Moving cabs from device to card.

Do you have the actual .CAB's? If so, copy the file and go to your Storage Card, then paste them over..

damendaman 10-06-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 1218102)
Do you have the actual .CAB's? If so, copy the file and go to your Storage Card, then paste them over..

Yeah I do, I am not sure if I have every single one of them install but all I would have to do is copy them over?

I was under the impression that it they were basically only used to install something then they are useless? However, from what you are saying as long as I move them over to the card they would still be installed after a flash?

Sorry for the noobness.

BigDiesel07 10-06-2009 05:47 PM

No, they should be fine.. You can copy and paste them over.. The .CAB itself is like a music file.. It is infinitely re-usable.. If you know computer technical terms, a .CAB is akin to a .EXE, but for a PPC.

Well... If you re-flash your phone to a new ROM, the programs you installed will be wiped clean.. However, with the .CAB on your storage card, you can re-install the program back to your device.. The .CAB will not be erased if the .CAB is on your storage card...

damendaman 10-06-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 1218123)
No, they should be fine.. You can copy and paste them over.. The .CAB itself is like a music file.. It is infinitely re-usable.. If you know computer technical terms, a .CAB is akin to a .EXE, but for a PPC.

Well... If you re-flash your phone to a new ROM, the programs you installed will be wiped clean.. However, with the .CAB on your storage card, you can re-install the program back to your device.. The .CAB will not be erased if the .CAB is on your storage card...

Ok so it is more like what I was thinking then.

So when it asks you where you want to install the cab what does that actually do? Does it put the program on the SD card? Would you recommend installing on the card if I flash every once in a while?

Thanks for the help by the way.

MordyT 10-06-2009 07:29 PM

Ok. OP (opening poster), i think i know what you are tryint to ask.
You want to install the .cabs to your storage card instead of the device.
This can be one when you install the cab. AFAIK, your out of luck until your reinstall them. Then choose storgae card and it will stay for futher rom flashes. All you will need to do is make the shortcuts for the files after a new flash.
As for the .cab file itself - this installs it. Put it on your storgae card.

You might also want to take a look at shashui (or something like that) and UC Auto-Config.

Later.