PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch> Touch Pro> Droid
Carrier: Verizon

pknyo is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Google issueing a C & D to Android Chef Please read and support Chefs everywhere

I think it is safe to say that all of us here are in favor of open mobile platforms in which people with the dedication and skills necessary may experiment and support there platform community. I`m sure that many people here would not even consider Windows Mobile if wasn`t for Microsoft and HTCs acceptance of the modding community.

You might think that Google would be just as open-minded when it came to their "open"-source Android. This however is coming under fire. The very popular Cyanogen has been hit with a Cease and Desist order from the the little green spaceman. Their problem with Cyanogen is with the distribution of close source "Google Experience" apps. In his defense Cyanogen says that the rom is intended for the G1 and MyTouch which are already Google branded phones. Cyanogen is said to be trying to open dialogue with Google. His site is down, but you can follow him on twitter @Cyanogen.

Even though I think that Google does have a valid argument here, it is discouraging to see a chef harassed by Google for trying to expand and improve their platform at his own expense. I think that what it boils down to is that manufacturers are paying Google for it`s branding that is associated with the "Google Experience". With Android`s proliferation of custom UIs such as HTC Sense and Moto Blur (without Google branding) they are trying to keep their own competing experience closed to those who are paying for it. Google is trying to protect their interests here, but they are doing so at the cost of their most loyal supporter. The people who supported their new platform, some of which went on to actively develop for it are going to second guess the so called openness of Google.

Please support Cyanogen, Chefs and people who believe in the right to hack and mod devices in which we have paid our hard earned money to own and use as we please. There is a petition to support Cyanogen. Let`s get those 10,00 signatures and then some.

Cyanogen on Twitter http://twitter.com/cyanogen

Petition http://www.petitionspot.com/petition.../#signpetition

Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...4407186&ref=nf

Sources:

Engadget http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/24/g...desist-letter/

Gizmodo http://gizmodo.com/5367420/google-th...ase+and+desist

Maximum PC http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...oid_rom_modder

If I made your day in any way, dont forget to say....
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

NewYorkLaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNewYorkLaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNewYorkLaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNewYorkLaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Google issueing a C & D to Android Chef Please read and support Chefs everywhere

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm signing the petition. I don't have a google/android phone, but support the work of Cyanogen and other chefs, who hack and improve our devices.
Pete
Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

vashwood is a n00b
Re: Google issueing a C & D to Android Chef Please read and support Chefs everywhere

I'm actually surprised about this. I'm going to sign the petition as well.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I like android, I just dont like that all the android devices so far are hvga. Either way though, the developers should be supported. Without the developers none of the platforms would be as advanced as they are. Petition signed!

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
Old 09-25-2009, 09:06 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

We've been disccussing this in the other thread. Contrary to popular belief, Google's Android is not as Open Source as many thinks. It is still controlled by Google and will always be controlled. Google did not create Android so people can just Modify it and call it their own. Google did not create it so that they can have a lot of "thanks" button. They did Android to make profit. In order to get that profit, They have to control where the OS is going.
But I feel for the developers and I believe cyanogen should be supported. Especially from those 30,000 users of cyanogenMod.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15833021835
Old 09-25-2009, 11:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch> Touch Pro> Droid
Threadstarter

pknyo is becoming a great contributor

Thanks for the input. I was`nt aware that their was a discussion going on for this. I just read about this this morning when i got home from work (it`s my daily habit to check out the tech blogs blog 3-4 times every day). thanks for supporting this developer, I remember when the fake C & D rumor wear spread about an XDA chef using 6.5 on roms and I got a little bit worried. I am moving to the Sprint Hero on the 11th and I got a bit alarmed when I heard this news. Please spread the word and get as many people to sign this as possible, this guy needs all the support he can get.

Last edited by pknyo; 09-25-2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: grammar Nazis
Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
We've been disccussing this in the other thread. Contrary to popular belief, Google's Android is not as Open Source as many thinks. It is still controlled by Google and will always be controlled. Google did not create Android so people can just Modify it and call it their own. Google did not create it so that they can have a lot of "thanks" button. They did Android to make profit. In order to get that profit, They have to control where the OS is going.
But I feel for the developers and I believe cyanogen should be supported. Especially from those 30,000 users of cyanogenMod.

Jethro, you are hard headed man. Read what open source means. It means you can get to the code, it is posted for the public to see modify, redistribute, etc etc. Android is that.

Open Source does not mean you can do whatever you want with Close Sourced software (GMail, Market, etc). If Google wants to control the way they distribute their closed source software, then it is on Google, and not the OS.
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 09-26-2009, 11:33 AM
╚════════════════╝

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
Jethro, you are hard headed man. Read what open source means. It means you can get to the code, it is posted for the public to see modify, redistribute, etc etc. Android is that.

Open Source does not mean you can do whatever you want with Close Sourced software (GMail, Market, etc). If Google wants to control the way they distribute their closed source software, then it is on Google, and not the OS.
This dude is tryin to tell everyone that he knows about Android but if U see his post, He will just tell U Android is open source. Tell everyone how open Android means. and when does google come step in.

Did tovalds stepped in and say U violated something in linux? Android is licensed! meaning somebody owns it! I will keep on bashing U misleading people.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Open Sourced doesnt mean someone doesn't own it. It means that the code for the software is available, you can modify it, and redistribute it. Different types of licenses dictate how you can redistribute it, and whether or not you need to release your own coding updates.

This post sums it up quite well. http://androidandme.com/2009/09/news...d-controversy/

The crux of the issue was not what Cyanogen was doing with Android, but the CLOSED SOURCE apps that belong to Google.

Sorry if you can't understand that.

Quote:
We make some of these apps available to users of any Android-powered device via Android Market, and others are pre-installed on some phones through business deals.
In Google's own words. Google is protecting their business deals. I would imaging this means that they are charging Manufacturers, or Carriers for the Google Experience.

Last edited by SporkLover; 09-26-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:51 AM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
Open Sourced doesnt mean someone doesn't own it. It means that the code for the software is available, you can modify it, and redistribute it. Different types of licenses dictate how you can redistribute it, and whether or not you need to release your own coding updates.

This post sums it up quite well. http://androidandme.com/2009/09/news...d-controversy/

The crux of the issue was not what Cyanogen was doing with Android, but the CLOSED SOURCE apps that belong to Google.

Sorry if you can't understand that.

In Google's own words. Google is protecting their business deals. I would imaging this means that they are charging Manufacturers, or Carriers for the Google Experience.
that is the same stuffs we do on WM. But no cheff receive C and D letter from Microsoft.WM phones chefs ports anything posible. From tf3d to midomi. Google maps to youtube. But google never send a C and D letter to WM chefs even for distributing their closed sourced google maps. Wether same manufacturer, different manufacturer. but Google is so defensive on their Android even the development is for android itself. Is that Freedom of open source mean to U?

Last edited by jethro_static; 09-27-2009 at 04:00 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions