PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Speed up Your Internet! Change your DNS (Any PPC or Home PC) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=878)

Malatesta 10-19-2006 04:13 PM

Speed up Your Internet! Change your DNS (Any PPC or Home PC)

UPDATE: In addition to this trick, go ahead and try THIS MORE ADVANCED Reg Trick (Increase "Maximum number of concurrent connections") to further maximize your Web surfing on any PPC. :thumbleft:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a neat little trick. Basically it improves the speed at which the DNS of the webpage you are seeking is retrieved. It does NOT increase bandwidth speed, just DNS lookup. End result is a faster browsing experience since your pages are "found faster".

- From the Start Menu, select 'Settings', then select the 'Connections' tab
- Select the 'Connections' option
- Select 'Manage Existing Connections' option
- Highlight your main Internet connection, and click edit (Power Vision)
- Click 'Edit'
- Click 'Next'
- Click 'Next' (do not touch these settings!)
- Click 'Advanced', do not touch your User Name/Password

Now select 'Servers' Tab

- Use specfic server address

Enter in:

DNS: 208.67.222.222

Alt DNS: 208.67.220.220

(alternatives:)

DNS: 4.2.2.1
Alt DNS: 4.2.2.2

- 'OK'
- 'Finish'
- 'OK'

You should see your data connection restart. I like to soft-reset after this, JIK.

Enjoy faster browsing!

:wav:

Wideawake 10-19-2006 05:34 PM

I see a slight increase at the house on 1x with 1 bar. Anyways thanks for posting this find! :)
~mike

ps yea its going Global! :D

remlle 10-19-2006 09:37 PM

where did you get these DNS IPs. I noticed they are GTEI internet DNS. GTE on of the backbone providers but why use them over any other DNS. I dont think this matters what dns you use. but well see. Im going to try my dns servers I Run as well as some SBC dsl run

Wideawake 10-19-2006 09:41 PM

ur know more about hostin and dns servers then me......please feel us in... :D

Malatesta 10-19-2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remlle
where did you get these DNS IPs. I noticed they are GTEI internet DNS. GTE on of the backbone providers but why use them over any other DNS. I dont think this matters what dns you use. but well see. Im going to try my dns servers I Run as well as some SBC dsl run

Well, not all DNS servers are the same. If they were, we'd just stick with Sprint's.

Simply put the more capacity/less traffic (or at least a high ratio between those two variables) will allow faster DNS lookups. Location and quality of the servers also matter, though probably less so.

Those servers are actually Level 3 servers based in CO and were recommended by DSLReports.

I assure you, it DOES matter what DNS you use and there is a huge improvement over Sprint's DNS servers. It only takes a minute of web browsing to notice the difference.

Technically, we should be able to measure the latency and possibly see a difference in performance between DNS servers that way.

Wideawake 10-19-2006 11:44 PM

So would it be better if I was to use a DNS server located closer to me? Or stick with the orginal settings u posted?

Malatesta 10-19-2006 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wideawake
So would it be better if I was to use a DNS server located closer to me? Or stick with the orginal settings u posted?

It's possible. It depends on the capacity/traffic of that server as well.

Your best bet is to just try it out and see how it feels. Or use something like DSLReports which I believe shows latency and compare and contrast the two for emprircal results.

Edit: Here is a large list, including US, of public DNS Servers.

I'm using 170.215.255.114 for NY now and is working well. I didn't measure latency though, just eyeballing it. All I know since I did this trick is surfing on EvDO is literally instant now (as far as finding/connnecting websites). :D

Big D5 10-20-2006 12:04 AM

Thats it I have read this as well capacity/traffic thats what it boils down to. I am using the new settings and I can really see the difference thanks Mala. :)

Wideawake 10-20-2006 12:07 AM

Using the one for Charlotte NC and it seems to be working ok...I gotta do some comparisions.

Big D5 10-20-2006 12:14 AM

I am going to stay with this one for know I am in California today but I am going to Dallas tomorrow so I will do some comparing along the way. I stop in Vegas WOOHOO :D if I can stop gambling long enough I will check there to.