PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   ESN question (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86688)

jpwhre 09-23-2009 01:05 AM

ESN question

So I called Sprint this morning and was approved for 3 lines of service. Asked to have my cricket # ported and everything. I have been searching ebay for while now, and was wondering if I got a phone with a clean esn, even if it is on tmobile, att, or anyone else (not cricket) could it be activated with sprint, or do I have to find a sprint phone specifically? I am sooooo tired of a lagging line of service with a connection that is less than........... Well, less than. If I can use other carrier phones, what do I want to avoid besides the mentally handicapped Verizon line up? CDMA or GSM, doesn't matter which one I get. As long as I can use enrgy rom.

jbearamus 09-23-2009 01:18 AM

Re: ESN question

actually gsm and cdma do matter. sprint can only activate a cdma device, assuming you can actually get them to do it. its all in the technology running the phone, sprint's network is cdma so you have to get the corresponding phone which basically means sprint or verizon, and cricket or a few other less notable regional carriers.
something to consider though, since its a new line of service sprint is going to require a 2 year agreement whether you provide your own hardware or not so you will probably want to look at getting a new phone from sprint

bikeandestroyx 09-23-2009 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpwhre (Post 1187024)
So I called Sprint this morning and was approved for 3 lines of service. Asked to have my cricket # ported and everything. I have been searching ebay for while now, and was wondering if I got a phone with a clean esn, even if it is on tmobile, att, or anyone else (not cricket) could it be activated with sprint, or do I have to find a sprint phone specifically? I am sooooo tired of a lagging line of service with a connection that is less than........... Well, less than. If I can use other carrier phones, what do I want to avoid besides the mentally handicapped Verizon line up? CDMA or GSM, doesn't matter which one I get. As long as I can use enrgy rom.

You cannot activate a gsm phone on any cdma carrier so that is definately out of the question, you most likely wont have any luck getting other cdma carriers phones activated either since it is not an open network [meaning they dont accept other networks phones].
Btw verizon lineup isn't crippled anymore, the tp2 is better so far! we even have unlocked simcard. You are going to want to stick to sprint phones, unless your planning on swapping the esn, which is illegal and shouldnt be talked about..blah blah..

jpwhre 09-23-2009 01:28 AM

I don't want illegal. I want out of cricket. I quess I was wrong assuming sprint was gsm, even though they sell gsm models of the touch pro. I also asked the the salesman if I got a gsm version phone if sprint would provide a sim card, and he said yes.

My budget allows for me to replace my tp that i can only use with mymobile on laptop with a cheesy cricket phone and stay with cricket, or get a tp for way less on ebay. Salesman tried, don't want pre, don't want crackbaby, nv, snap that looks like the crackbaby, or anything else. From titan to pro, I have a thing about the touchscreen and slide out 5 row.

jbearamus 09-23-2009 01:37 AM

probably going to want to talk to a different salesman. sprint doesn't sell a gsm touch pro. they have the touch pro 2 which has dual gsm/cdma radios so you can use international roaming just as they have several other models that do the same.
as for activating a sim card with sprint those are intended for the international roaming and even if you get them to activate it for use in the states it probably wouldn't last long b/c it will cost sprint too much in off network roaming and they'll deactivate it
and i understand a budget but it sounds like the best way for you to get the phone you're looking for is to get it from sprint for $199 when you sign the 2 year when you activate

jpwhre 09-23-2009 01:46 AM

I wanted to get it from sprint. But at 529, then 150 instant savings (guy said something about it being actually 180) it put phone at 299. Then it's 100 mail in. I have 300, doesn't cover taxes, or activation. Ebay I just missed one at 165 on a bid, and have been watching like a hawk. If I get one of those deals landed, I can still afford activation (I hope). Watched broken tp go for over 100, was going to post mine, but evil bay has so many fees, I would be lucky to see half that. And I was going to post 2 titans in a bundle as well. I would be giving all 3 phones away after evil bay was done with me.

jbearamus 09-23-2009 01:50 AM

wow. i looked before i posted for some comparison and i didn't see any for that low, everything i saw was $250+
(shameless plug) if you wanna track down a radioshack in your area you may wanna ask if they can find one for you. since the launch of the TP2 radioshack has been knocking the original TP out the door for 199.99 i don't know what the inventory situation in AZ is but up here in UT they're hard to find but if they can get one its a great deal, 200 with no mail in rebate

jbearamus 09-23-2009 01:51 AM

may want to also check out our own bargain trader if you haven't already:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

jpwhre 09-23-2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1187090)
wow. i looked before i posted for some comparison and i didn't see any for that low, everything i saw was $250+
(shameless plug) if you wanna track down a radioshack in your area you may wanna ask if they can find one for you. since the launch of the TP2 radioshack has been knocking the original TP out the door for 199.99 i don't know what the inventory situation in AZ is but up here in UT they're hard to find but if they can get one its a great deal, 200 with no mail in rebate

Thanks for the shameless plug, will look into that in a.m.

Ya, cricket broadband, waited til last 30 seconds on a bid that was 145, clicked bid, and it was up to 163, so I put in 165 and placed, and it popped up that someone beat me at 170. I was mad.

jpwhre 09-23-2009 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1187093)
may want to also check out our own bargain trader if you haven't already:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Yes, was there yesterday.