PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why all the windows mobile hate?

Wow...... it'sa re-occurring statement about lazy people....... It's not about laziness folks, it's about getting what you pay for. You pay $300 for a subsidized phone, you sure as hell want to make sure it isn't glitchy and needed extra work to make it work. Why should the user base make it work the way it should have in the first place? 20 Million iPhone users agree.

The reason Big windows modding communities like this exist is because Windows Mobile is such a crappy product (albeit it has powerful potential within the right hands). Over at Android forums.... they work on adding functionality, not fixing things that should have not been released without proper QC. The fact that Manilla exists is a testament to the short comings on Windows Mobile.

WM7 is hopefully a decade late step in the right direction for MS. However, no matter how much anyone wishes, it won't show any shortcomings of the iPhone and it won't kill the iPhone, mainly because the iPhone is Software + Hardware, WM7 is just software (you need hardware to make a good comparison). Secondly because the iPhone is not claiming to be something it's not. It works out of the box without tweaking (although the US carrier sucks). There is an app store, a music store, and a video store. Nothing additional needed.

That being said, I still have faith in WM, although I am tempted by Android.
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:19 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
Wow...... it'sa re-occurring statement about lazy people....... It's not about laziness folks, it's about getting what you pay for. You pay $300 for a subsidized phone, you sure as hell want to make sure it isn't glitchy and needed extra work to make it work. Why should the user base make it work the way it should have in the first place? 20 Million iPhone users agree.

The reason Big windows modding communities like this exist is because Windows Mobile is such a crappy product (albeit it has powerful potential within the right hands). Over at Android forums.... they work on adding functionality, not fixing things that should have not been released without proper QC. The fact that Manilla exists is a testament to the short comings on Windows Mobile.

WM7 is hopefully a decade late step in the right direction for MS. However, no matter how much anyone wishes, it won't show any shortcomings of the iPhone and it won't kill the iPhone, mainly because the iPhone is Software + Hardware, WM7 is just software (you need hardware to make a good comparison). Secondly because the iPhone is not claiming to be something it's not. It works out of the box without tweaking (although the US carrier sucks). There is an app store, a music store, and a video store. Nothing additional needed.

couldnt have said it better myself
Old 10-09-2009, 02:18 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Carrier: Verizon

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Sporklover is pretty good at getting his point across, and he's objectionable and logical too. The only point I even kinda disagree with in that last post is the reason for these communities. To an extent this community does exist to fix the problems with the WM OS, but I think the bigger reason is that WM is actually tweakable. I think we've just got a lot of guys that like to modify a product and make it their own. When I got my first PPC, I didnt think to myself "Man, this OS sucks, I need to find a website that'll tell me how to fix it" I was thinking something more along the lines of "This phone is awesome, I wonder what all I can do to it?" and so I came here and started learning how to tweak it. Same mindset as those of us that like to take a perfectly good car and make it faster, more powerful, and look better. It's also the same reason a lot of the people here dont like the iPhone.

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28

Last edited by breakmyfootoff; 10-09-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

nanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:

You do know that Windows mobile is more of a platform right? There's a reason why allot of things are left to OEMS. Ex. What would be the point in having the iphone OS on 30 different handsets with the EXACT operating system? IT would be a bit redundant and point less. On the other hand, Windows Mobile is allot more flexible, productive and more friendly to power users. Android and WebOS are extremely limited, there both mostly coded with java which developers have stated is limited, and that's their ultimate downfall. Manufactures have loved windows mobile for the fact that every OEM has the opportunity to stand out from the crowd with there hardware and software customizations they load onto there handsets. The iPhone did one thing right, it introduced change, a necessary change, and now Microsoft has to change with the times also, and so far there getting it right.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Almost a VIP

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff
Wirelessly posted (HTC-P4600/1.2 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff
Sporklover is pretty good at getting his point across, and he's objectionable and logical too. The only point I even kinda disagree with in that last post is the reason for these communities. To an extent this community does exist to fix the problems with the WM OS, but I think the bigger reason is that WM is actually tweakable. I think we've just got a lot of guys that like to modify a product and make it their own. When I got my first PPC, I didnt think to myself "Man, this OS sucks, I need to find a website that'll tell me how to fix it" I was thinking something more along the lines of "This phone is awesome, I wonder what all I can do to it?" and so I came here and started learning how to tweak it. Same mindset as those of us that like to take a perfectly good car and make it faster, more powerful, and look better. It's also the same reason a lot of the people here dont like the iPhone.
Fair enough. I wasnt too fair to ppcgeeks

Last edited by SporkLover; 10-09-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Almost a VIP

Wirelessly posted (HTC-P4600/1.2 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoware
Quote:

You do know that Windows mobile is more of a platform right? There's a reason why allot of things are left to OEMS. Ex. What would be the point in having the iphone OS on 30 different handsets with the EXACT operating system? IT would be a bit redundant and point less. On the other hand, Windows Mobile is allot more flexible, productive and more friendly to power users. Android and WebOS are extremely limited, there both mostly coded with java which developers have stated is limited, and that's their ultimate downfall. Manufactures have loved windows mobile for the fact that every OEM has the opportunity to stand out from the crowd with there hardware and software customizations they load onto there handsets. The iPhone did one thing right, it introduced change, a necessary change, and now Microsoft has to change with the times also, and so far there getting it right.
I am not sure I agree with your statement about wm being a platform that oems customize. Up until now the oems have done is load software. TF3d being the exception, which in reality isnt much more than loading software because you still use the crappy wm ui. I hear the Leo may change this, as HTC has actually gutted WM.

One thing you wrote piqued my interest; how does java limit Android/WebOs. Surely Palm and Google wouldnt invest soo much into languages that limits the capabilities of their devices. Android devices are capable of running full debian distributions which alone makes it pretty powerful and flexible.

Last edited by SporkLover; 10-09-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Almost a VIP

Nano,

Did a little bit of googling and I think I found the answer WRT Java and Android. By design, Android opens a Java Virtual Machine for each of the Apps developed through the SDK. A Virtual Machine by nature takes a performance hit.

Google released the Native Development Kit (NDK), which works outside of the Java virtual machines, and allows apps to talk directly to the processor and other resources. It opens up the development to other languages such as C.

Neat... I learn something new everyday.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

nanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

that is neat.

i like windows mobile and all, i think it needs a better task manager
Old 10-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
The fact that Manilla exists is a testament to the short comings on Windows Mobile.
Yes and no. If this is the sole reasoning for Manila then Sense UI wouldn't have been developed for Android. HTC is simply looking for ways to enhance user experience, I would certainly appreciate alternative UIs for my iPhone and to some extent my Pre...

BTW, I love windows mobile though I can see how many don't.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
Yes and no. If this is the sole reasoning for Manila then Sense UI wouldn't have been developed for Android. HTC is simply looking for ways to enhance user experience, I would certainly appreciate alternative UIs for my iPhone and to some extent my Pre...

BTW, I love windows mobile though I can see how many don't.
Fair enough

HTC does a great job of enhancing user experiences too Manilla 2d was the best thing that happened to my Mogul!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions