PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Alksion is keeping up the good workAlksion is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Alksion Send a message via Yahoo to Alksion
Htc os?

So I was thinking, why doesn't HTC create their own OS. Then I came to thought with all these improvements in Manila and things like the Sense UI, maybe these are testing grounds to see how people like them and then decide later, to create a final OS.

What are your thoughts?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Universal
Carrier: Tmobile

jobot is a n00b
Re: Htc os?

i cant live with out windows mobile. plus they would have to deal with exchange support.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Hmm.. well you havnt given htc a chance yet.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

It's easier to create and code Touch Flo or Sense UI then create your own OS..
Old 09-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Same reason that Dell, HP, Lenovo, or Acer don't create their own OS. They are hardware manufacturers. It is much easier for them to focus on the core of their business and partner with another company (MS) for the software and OS.

It is this type of relationship that personal computing was founded on. It's how MS got it's big break. IBM made the computers, MS sold a licensed DOS to IBM.
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 09-06-2009, 11:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor

Also once you create an OS, you have to create applications to run on it.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I understand it is not an easy task, but they do seem interested in some type of UI, so maybe an entire OS
Old 09-07-2009, 12:59 AM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

i always wanted something like this to happen and thought on how it would look and feel. bottom line... when i saw the first htc hero video JACKPOT!! htc and the android os looks so good together and mesh so well that it looks like an htc os overall
Old 09-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

me thinks that people forget what an OS is. UI is just that, its the interface the user uses to interact with the operating system. The operating system is the software that controls the hardware. It does it so applications Don't have too.

The OS exists to control the hardware and to make it easy to write applications.

In short a glossy and pretty UI != an OS. It is an application package running on top of the OS.

Back on subject. I am wary of stovepipe operations. A company that builds and designs handsets, designs the OS, and controls the Software development /third party applications tend to turn me off. All the way up to the Iphone, this type of approach yielded pretty crappy UI's and buggy software. IMO it also seems to stymie innovation. Again, the Iphone being the exception. Palm did this for a long time and became a big fat failure until the Pre breathed some interest back into the company.

I like different providers for hardware, OS, and applications. There tends to be more innovations, and cutting edge technology in those arrangements.

Last edited by SporkLover; 09-07-2009 at 09:52 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch and TP2

sadthai is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsadthai is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsadthai is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsadthai is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
me thinks that people forget what an OS is. UI is just that, its the interface the user uses to interact with the operating system. The operating system is the software that controls the hardware. It does it so applications Don't have too.

The OS exists to control the hardware and to make it easy to write applications.

In short a glossy and pretty UI != an OS. It is an application package running on top of the OS.

Back on subject. I am wary of stovepipe operations. A company that builds and designs handsets, designs the OS, and controls the Software development /third party applications tend to turn me off. All the way up to the Iphone, this type of approach yielded pretty crappy UI's and buggy software. IMO it also seems to stymie innovation. Again, the Iphone being the exception. Palm did this for a long time and became a big fat failure until the Pre breathed some interest back into the company.

I like different providers for hardware, OS, and applications. There tends to be more innovations, and cutting edge technology in those arrangements.

very well said

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions