PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Htc os? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=82608)

Alksion 09-04-2009 02:59 PM

Htc os?

So I was thinking, why doesn't HTC create their own OS. Then I came to thought with all these improvements in Manila and things like the Sense UI, maybe these are testing grounds to see how people like them and then decide later, to create a final OS.

What are your thoughts?

jobot 09-04-2009 03:16 PM

Re: Htc os?

i cant live with out windows mobile. plus they would have to deal with exchange support.

Alksion 09-04-2009 04:27 PM

Hmm.. well you havnt given htc a chance yet.

BigDiesel07 09-06-2009 02:37 PM

It's easier to create and code Touch Flo or Sense UI then create your own OS..

SporkLover 09-06-2009 07:29 PM

Same reason that Dell, HP, Lenovo, or Acer don't create their own OS. They are hardware manufacturers. It is much easier for them to focus on the core of their business and partner with another company (MS) for the software and OS.

It is this type of relationship that personal computing was founded on. It's how MS got it's big break. IBM made the computers, MS sold a licensed DOS to IBM.

gprimr1 09-06-2009 11:04 PM

Also once you create an OS, you have to create applications to run on it.

Alksion 09-07-2009 12:06 AM

I understand it is not an easy task, but they do seem interested in some type of UI, so maybe an entire OS

MikeElGiga23 09-07-2009 12:59 AM

i always wanted something like this to happen and thought on how it would look and feel. bottom line... when i saw the first htc hero video JACKPOT!! htc and the android os looks so good together and mesh so well that it looks like an htc os overall

SporkLover 09-07-2009 09:49 AM

me thinks that people forget what an OS is. UI is just that, its the interface the user uses to interact with the operating system. The operating system is the software that controls the hardware. It does it so applications Don't have too.

The OS exists to control the hardware and to make it easy to write applications.

In short a glossy and pretty UI != an OS. It is an application package running on top of the OS.

Back on subject. I am wary of stovepipe operations. A company that builds and designs handsets, designs the OS, and controls the Software development /third party applications tend to turn me off. All the way up to the Iphone, this type of approach yielded pretty crappy UI's and buggy software. IMO it also seems to stymie innovation. Again, the Iphone being the exception. Palm did this for a long time and became a big fat failure until the Pre breathed some interest back into the company.

I like different providers for hardware, OS, and applications. There tends to be more innovations, and cutting edge technology in those arrangements.

sadthai 09-07-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 1145910)
me thinks that people forget what an OS is. UI is just that, its the interface the user uses to interact with the operating system. The operating system is the software that controls the hardware. It does it so applications Don't have too.

The OS exists to control the hardware and to make it easy to write applications.

In short a glossy and pretty UI != an OS. It is an application package running on top of the OS.

Back on subject. I am wary of stovepipe operations. A company that builds and designs handsets, designs the OS, and controls the Software development /third party applications tend to turn me off. All the way up to the Iphone, this type of approach yielded pretty crappy UI's and buggy software. IMO it also seems to stymie innovation. Again, the Iphone being the exception. Palm did this for a long time and became a big fat failure until the Pre breathed some interest back into the company.

I like different providers for hardware, OS, and applications. There tends to be more innovations, and cutting edge technology in those arrangements.

very well said