PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 10:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

Bearxor is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
helmi... seriously man... come on...

Theres got to be SOMETHING you can do to get WM5 OR 6 running on a Harrier. I mean, if you can do it for the Apache and the Blue Angel then it has to be possible for a Harrier. These things are like a hundred bucks on ebay now - if you tell me you can do it I'll buy one and send it to you. I would LOVE to switch back to this phone.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)
Carrier: Sprint

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
As much as it "would be nice" I really don't think the effort involved in this is worth the benefit for the few people running this device. And I speak as someone who still has his Harrier sitting in a box in the basement (along with every other PPC device I have ever owned).

Can helmi do it? I believe he can, but honestly I have a hard time asking him to devote months bringing new OSes to such an old device when there's a brand new device (the 6800) which still has no attention.

I understand your request, but I don't think you have any idea how much work is involved--even for someone like helmi you're talking months. And I somehow doubt a free Harrier would really sweeten the pot.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone 6+

JackSchitt28 is keeping up the good workJackSchitt28 is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2chill View Post
As much as it "would be nice" I really don't think the effort involved in this is worth the benefit for the few people running this device. And I speak as someone who still has his Harrier sitting in a box in the basement (along with every other PPC device I have ever owned).

Can helmi do it? I believe he can, but honestly I have a hard time asking him to devote months bringing new OSes to such an old device when there's a brand new device (the 6800) which still has no attention.

I understand your request, but I don't think you have any idea how much work is involved--even for someone like helmi you're talking months. And I somehow doubt a free Harrier would really sweeten the pot.
this is very true. the 6800 is the main objective right now.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: iPhone
Threadstarter

Bearxor is becoming a great contributor
But thats the thing - WM6 already exists for the Blue Angel. I mean, a quick trip to XDA-Dev's shows that a WM6 rom is ready for download for a device as old as a a Himalaya.

The WM6 rom for the BA will run fine on the Harrier. The main thing that prevented WM5 on the Harrier at the time was lack of WM5 compatible drivers for the CDMA chipset in use in the Harrier, IIRC.

I have a lot of idea at the work that is involved in this and appreciate the work that people far more talented than I have. It just seems at this point over half the work is done. A WM6 rom exists for any device that seems even remotely capable of running it. It would be a great boon especially for Verizon users, who have EVDO enabled on their phones. It would benefit those that still have them laying around and like to use the big screen for maps and such in the car and want to keep current.

Why is the 6800 the main focus? Why does it need attention? Does it suck THAT badly? The 6800 already has WM6 and Microsoft hasn't even released a single update to it yet. Is it simply a case of HTC relying on it's user base to fix what's wrong with it's phones?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:11 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)
Carrier: Sprint

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
If the barrier is WM5 compatible drivers for the CDMA chipset in the Harrier then how would that have changed now?

And the 6800 is the focus because there are a great many people using it currently (more every day), whereas the number of people using the Harrier drops every day. Also, the Harrier was not designed to take advantage of WM5--with only 64MB of flash, it would not have much remaining for user storage.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to see WM5 or WM6 on the Harrier. What I'm saying is that Helmi is spread kind of thin as it is, and I'd prefer he concentrate whatever efforts he can spare on a device that will benefit the greatest number of people. The mogul shipped with a really crappy ROM that truly limits the device (much as the Apache did back in 2005).

I can't speak for him though... this is just my opinion.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: VZW

nemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to nemanracing
I too have a 6600 still, and i wish i could still use it... As far as the time concern is, I understand about the 6800 and hope Helmi has had some time with one by the time Verizon decides to release the XV6800. As far as the memory issue is concerned how different is the Blue Angel that it can run WM5/WM6 and the Harrier can't strickly from a memory standpoint? As far as the drivers go i understand something would need to be hacked and a lot of work would go into it. First of i would love to see Helmi crack the 6800 as the case is it will be my next vzw pda phone. If he could kick back to the 6600 that would be awesome too. If not I understand.

Edit: Better yet i wish htc would build a better cdma device for us all... 3.5" screen, at least 128MB of RAM, at least 256MB of ROM, WM6, MSM 7500 or better processor, SDHC support, 3.0MP cam, sliding qwerty keyboard, BT 2.0, EVDO Rev A... etc...
History:XV6850 WM6.5,PPC6850 WM6.5 on VZW,XV6850 WM6.1/Telus Radio,VZW Omnia,XV6900 WM6.1/GPS/RevA,XV6800 WM6.1/GPS/RevA,XV6700 WM6,Samsung i760,Moto Q9m,Moto Q,XV6700,VZW Treo 700WX,Treo 700W,Samsung i730,XV6600,Treo 650,Treo 600,Kyocera 7135

Last edited by nemanracing; 09-11-2007 at 03:15 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions