PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 04:51 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root
Carrier: Sprint

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre
gps question

i have googled gps dsl, gps for dsl, dsl on gps radio, gps for internet connection. couple other entriies, but have only come up with one piece of info that would bring me here. dsl is a radio transmition. so is gps. is it possible to use the gps radio in my touch pro for dsl? or is it never going to work, and why? not to fresh on info as to how either realy work.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart
Re: gps question

DSL as in internet service? If thats the DSL you're talking about, that will never work. Thats like trying to make a toaster into a television because they both use electricity. GPS satellites are not connected to the internet. They look at you, see you, then tell you at where they see you.

Sponsored by Kools.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

DSL is not a radio transmittion. It is only a high frequency signal on your home phone line.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

wesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on rep

There are sattelite based isp's, but GPS satellites are completely different. Basically GPS satellites send a signal and your phone (in this instance) recieves those signals. A gps unit must have a fix on several satellites at one time (at least three). It takes the information recieved from those signals and by triangulation calculates where you are on the earth. The more satellite signals it is recieving the more accurate the calculation. With 4 or more GPS signals you can get altitude info. You aren't sending info to the GPS satellites all the work is being done by your unit.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

so its the satellites then? I quess that is what I was looking for. I was up til 2:30a looking at things (in bed on my phone) and was really tired. I was just thinking of things like cars with onstar satellites that can track like gps, and yet your phone calls can be routed thru and they can contact you thru it as well when you press call button. Would that be like VOIP? why does that satellite navigate and give you contactability? I understand that gps uses sats to nav, and dsl internet uses sats for net. Just didn't understand there being 2 diff types of sats in sky. Was hoping that maybe some of the sats in sky had gps function (as well as data transmit).

Edit: Maybe cause my tp doesn't have a digital gps radio.

Last edited by jpwhre; 08-26-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhre View Post
so its the satellites then? I quess that is what I was looking for. I was up til 2:30a looking at things (in bed on my phone) and was really tired. I was just thinking of things like cars with onstar satellites that can track like gps, and yet your phone calls can be routed thru and they can contact you thru it as well when you press call button. Would that be like VOIP? why does that satellite navigate and give you contactability? I understand that gps uses sats to nav, and dsl internet uses sats for net. Just didn't understand there being 2 diff types of sats in sky. Was hoping that maybe some of the sats in sky had gps function (as well as data transmit).

Edit: Maybe cause my tp doesn't have a digital gps radio.
DSL does not use satellites. They have base stations and wire running on land. On star uses gps to locate you and a cellphone protocol to talk. also, theres a hell of a lot more varieties of satellites than 2.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

wesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Onstar uses cell towers to "call" there is actually a phone number for each onstar setup.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

There are a couple of satellite internet satellites roaming the planet but they only do internet no gps. All gps receivers are basically the same. There are approx. 30 gps satellites that do nothing by relay data that your gps radio uses to find your position.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
There are a couple of satellite internet satellites roaming the planet but they only do internet no gps. All gps receivers are basically the same. There are approx. 30 gps satellites that do nothing by relay data that your gps radio uses to find your position.
Thanks, i guess in my own head I was hoping that the net sats, and gps sats shared. Got idea since sat tv, and those that actually use a sat on their house for net. But I guess those are just tv sats and piggy back the dsl from the land line required for sat recievers for tv. And since my tp is only gps I ever had, and never any sat (well there is one on my house (I rent), been here 5 years, but it was here first) i figured I would dabble in finding out info.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions