PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   To cancel broadband card or not to (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=80130)

gorelow 08-19-2009 02:10 PM

To cancel broadband card or not to

thanks to some top people in here who are too smart for their own good, i am now contemplating cancelling my broadband card and going strictly with tethering. its 150 to cancel and i just started my contract again so itd still be worth it. has anyone seen times when the tethering speeds are horrible. just doesnt make sense to spend 60 bucks a month if this way will be almost as good. opinions please

ou2mame 08-19-2009 02:13 PM

Re: To cancel broadband card or not to

well, as long as your battery is charged fully, you shouldn't have too much of a problem, unless you want to make a phonecall after an hour or 2 of tethering. the tp gets extremely hot, and then refuses to charge, which kills the battery. the tp isn't the best phone to tether as your main means of internet connectivity. there are other people here who do that, but i'm in a position where i would if it were beneficial, but instead steal wifi from across the street instead. my problems were with charging, definitely not with the speed.

MadlyAlive 08-19-2009 02:17 PM

I still have a broadband card (AT&T built into my Lenovo), however it's on my corporate account so I don't pay for it.

I was contemplating purchasing a Sprint card prior to getting my new lappy a while back and to me it would have been worth it so I'm not tying up my TP for voice calls.

FWIW, if I were paying for my own card, I would keep it. I get scared when the TP heats up.

HBOOT 08-19-2009 02:17 PM

I would definitely try to get a break on the ETF. Also, you may need to get a fan, ice pack and some spare batties if u go solo with TP for tethering:scratch:

I have couple air cards if anyone is interested...

CovKid66 08-19-2009 02:39 PM

I guess the only concern would be loosing your voice calls / phone functionality during your tethering sessions. That's still an issue with tethering isn't it??? I haven't used it in such a long time.

HBOOT 08-19-2009 02:48 PM

:scratch:I dont need to tether much but when I do, the phone rings, I pick up, hang up and TP reconnects..

MadlyAlive 08-19-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HB (Post 1110479)
:scratch:I dont need to tether much but when I do, the phone rings, I pick up, hang up and TP reconnects..

+1

Unless you have the option set to send to VM while you're in a data session, voice calls take priority over data sessions.

gorelow 08-19-2009 02:59 PM

ok so if i go to borders once a day and surf for an hour each day and dont download movies or anything bigger than maybe 100mb. max, is that a reason to think that sprint will care?

ou2mame 08-19-2009 03:02 PM

i highly doubt it.

CovKid66 08-19-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HB (Post 1110479)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadlyAlive (Post 1110504)
+1

Unless you have the option set to send to VM while you're in a data session, voice calls take priority over data sessions.

Good to know, thank you both.