PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   After hearing numerous times.. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77040)

krnfrk6663 07-29-2009 11:29 PM

After hearing numerous times..

The comment "Why do we have to tweak our phones to get it to work right?", I had a thought just recently after reading it in a tread. Would we not be here if our phones were at par out of box? I understand serous issues, to name one, as far as battery goes, concering the TP. As everyone knows, developers tend to rush for deadlines and they will, it's our wonderful business world to blame. To my point, what if they intentionally leave "fixes" out for our tweaking pleaure? It's the jist of my thought, what do you guys think concerning this idea?

psycho_maniac 07-30-2009 01:27 AM

Re: After hearing numerous times..

haha good theory. they do this so we have fun tweaking the phone and want to stick with that phone!

shaggylive 07-30-2009 01:30 AM

umm, I got it cuz it could be tweaked. I don't like being stuck with old programming.

psycho_maniac 07-30-2009 01:34 AM

yeah before i got the phone i looked up a bunch of apps for the phone and thought it wac cool because thats thats the stuff i was looking for on my dumb phone but you had to pay for all that fancy stuff and them phones cant multi-task very good

kabuk1 07-30-2009 02:01 AM

I'm GLAD you have to tweak these things, I love it. Not that I'm saying its a catastrophe right out of the box, but I love to be able to completely customize my phone. I have to customize everything- when I got my laptop the first thing I did was wipe it & install a barebones hacked version of XP pro. If I wanted a phone that 'just worked' I would've gotten a blackberry or a standard dumbphone.

I think the manufacturers don't really make them hackable on purpose, I think they send them out to work fine for the standard user who just uses the basic features.

jbearamus 07-30-2009 02:21 AM

i would think they would leave them hackable and potentionally flawed b/c they want to see what communities like this will do to them. they could have someone watch the forum and see what people are saying, wanting, and doing. its an idea factory for them and awesome phones for us

TheBundo 07-30-2009 02:41 AM

All forums, for cars, guns, whatever, exist primarily because of problems or issues. The vast majority of people never join, or even read, and just accept the status quo. Forums are primarily for those with issues, or real enthusiasts.

elmerfudpucker 07-30-2009 04:29 PM

+1 Kabuk1, There is so much to making a phone "yours" When me and my friends get together we swap cabs and ideas all the time. Other phones are ok for ordinary people but we are not ordinary now are we!

Atomic2Mod 07-30-2009 04:57 PM

yeah, we would still be here if the phone worked up to par right out of the box. It's all about customizing and people having different tastes.

My TP worked great out of the box. But I had to tweak it. Why? Because I can. Thanks in great part to this wonderful community.

jmelan 07-30-2009 08:29 PM

i really think palm and apple have it right in developing an OS specifically to take advantage of the hardware in the phone, it is nice for a change to not be trying to get the dialer or GPS to work properly on a phone, and while the pre still has its own battery issues, they are nowhere near as bad as teh TP