PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What to do?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=76554)

Randy954 07-27-2009 12:46 PM

What to do??

Well this is my delimma (well not really but might end up being). I bought a diamond about 6 months ago maybe longer. I wont disclose my carrier. I purchased it off craigslist out of someones trunk for about 250 without the box but with all the accesories and the phone was in perfect condition. The guy had about 20 touch diamonds and pros all together. But i didnt ask questions because I really dont care or wanna know how he got them I just wanted one lol. So when i took it home i realized that it was activated. With unlimited everything. So i was like well i might aswell keep it on the service before switching it over to metroPCS. I thought it would stay on for about a week tops but it has already been 6 months plus. I called the carrier and asked them to get the unlock code.. which they wouldnt give me lol because i couldnt provide any account info and they were like how did you get this phone because this is a (carrier) corporate phone. I was just like "ohh its a friend of mine who works for you guys i was just playing around with the phone" and i guess she believed me because she never turned it off. Could this phone just be lost in the system and stay on forever lol? So now im wondering if i can be held responsible for any usage of this phone being that i never signed a contract or any legal binding papers. Because with this plan im sure its probably 100+ a month at least. So what do you guys think? Should i say f*** it and keep using it for free or just have it flashed over to metroPCS and be done with this service?

downinfl 07-27-2009 03:26 PM

Re: What to do??

What you're doing is called "theft of services" in most states; accomplice after-the-fact in robbery/larcency/theft could also be a player, if the prosecutor feels particularly nasty that day.

It's real easy to trace the location of a phone, it's real easy to find out who you are by talking to all the people you called using that phone. Hope you're looking over your shoulder a lot, because -- if the company cares -- you could be in a world of financial hurt in a real hurry.

If I were in your situation, I'd speak with an attorney -- fast! -- and find the best way to get yourself out of this one.

Good luck!

darren.wlsn1 07-27-2009 03:33 PM

man i hope you get busted, its people like you and the trunk guy that cause my bill and piece of mind to be shot.

Randy954 07-27-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 1062985)
man i hope you get busted, its people like you and the trunk guy that cause my bill and piece of mind to be shot.

You hope i get busted? lol first off i wasnt doing anything illegal when i bought this phone. I deal with ebay and craigslist all the time and i dont know whats stolen and whats not honestly id rather not know. Secondly i too used to pay up the *** for phone service. And btw that didnt answer any of my questions, so if you just come to post dumbass useless posts then please dont post at all.

darren.wlsn1 07-27-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy954 (Post 1063073)
You hope i get busted? lol first off i wasnt doing anything illegal when i bought this phone. I deal with ebay and craigslist all the time and i dont know whats stolen and whats not honestly id rather not know. Secondly i too used to pay up the *** for phone service. And btw that didnt answer any of my questions, so if you just come to post dumbass useless posts then please dont post at all.

most legal phones are not sold out of a car trunk, yes i hope you get busted and gota pay the person who owns the phone, which isnt you, back for the service your stealing. as for posting, open forum bro, ill post whereever i want. come on cops!

Randy954 07-27-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 1063089)
most legal phones are not sold out of a car trunk, yes i hope you get busted and gota pay the person who owns the phone, which isnt you, back for the service your stealing. as for posting, open forum bro, ill post whereever i want. come on cops!

Well i think if the phone was stolen that the person or company would have reported it so and the service would have been shut off. Who knows maybe the carrier just forgot to turn off the phone. And with dealing with stuff out of trunks thats not uncommon. I used to sell xbox 360s out of my truck all day. Does it mean i stole them? No it means that i bought them refurbished and bought them in bulk at a discounted price.. Ever think of that?

darren.wlsn1 07-27-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy954 (Post 1063139)
Well i think if the phone was stolen that the person or company would have reported it so and the service would have been shut off. Who knows maybe the carrier just forgot to turn off the phone. And with dealing with stuff out of trunks thats not uncommon. I used to sell xbox 360s out of my truck all day. Does it mean i stole them? No it means that i bought them refurbished and bought them in bulk at a discounted price.. Ever think of that?

as for the last part about your trunk, you buy stolen phones so it doesnt surprise me. probably stolen games. im done with you, hope you get what you deserve. wish i could do more to pursue this but karma will get you.

kidmet 07-27-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy954 (Post 1062604)
Well this is my delimma (well not really but might end up being). I bought a diamond about 6 months ago maybe longer. I wont disclose my carrier. I purchased it off craigslist out of someones trunk for about 250 without the box but with all the accesories and the phone was in perfect condition. The guy had about 20 touch diamonds and pros all together. But i didnt ask questions because I really dont care or wanna know how he got them I just wanted one lol. So when i took it home i realized that it was activated. With unlimited everything. So i was like well i might aswell keep it on the service before switching it over to metroPCS. I thought it would stay on for about a week tops but it has already been 6 months plus. I called the carrier and asked them to get the unlock code.. which they wouldnt give me lol because i couldnt provide any account info and they were like how did you get this phone because this is a (carrier) corporate phone. I was just like "ohh its a friend of mine who works for you guys i was just playing around with the phone" and i guess she believed me because she never turned it off. Could this phone just be lost in the system and stay on forever lol? So now im wondering if i can be held responsible for any usage of this phone being that i never signed a contract or any legal binding papers. Because with this plan im sure its probably 100+ a month at least. So what do you guys think? Should i say f*** it and keep using it for free or just have it flashed over to metroPCS and be done with this service?

If you have to ask, you're doing something wrong. Most times. In this case, I would say you are definitely in the wrong. Go to Metro PCS and pay for your service.

popdog54 07-27-2009 04:38 PM

Maybe the phone was from a corporate account which paid for a year of service at a discount. In any case, it's a CDMA phone which means it has an ESN that can be traced or disconnected at any time. So if the phone is actually stolen transferring it to Metro won't mean you are free and clear from any future consequences.

Randy954 07-27-2009 05:15 PM

Well i know metro flashes stolen phones so that wont be an issue. But dont you think someone wouldve either turned the phone off or reported it stolen by now? Ive had it for over 6 months. And i highly doubt im gonna have some cia or fbi agent or detective trying to follow me around trying to arrest me because of an unpaid phone bill lol. People need to get real lol. But im just gonna goto metro this weekend and switch it over. Thanks for the input.