PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler
Exclamation Free My Phone Petition

New "smart" phones have set the stage for the future of a mobile Internet. But companies like AT&T and Verizon are getting in the way by shackling open and innovative devices to closed networks. The FCC and Congress must step in to protect consumers and foster innovation. We demand:

1. The freedom to choose any phone on any network.
2. The freedom to choose among many carriers in a competitive, low-cost marketplace.
3. The freedom to access any Web content, applications or services we want through our phones.

There is a legitimate, well organized, movement underway to force the USA wireless carriers to open their networks, and stop crippling phones. it is being run by the same folks fighting for net neutrality. Please show your support and spread the word.

Read the page:
http://www.freepress.net/freemyphone

Sign the petition (and email Congress and the FCC):
https://secure.freepress.net/site/Ad...rAction&id=333

Follow it on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/FreeMyPhone/89600309468

Follow it on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/freemyphone

Follow it with the RSS feed:
http://www.freepress.net/taxonomy/term/5718/feed
Baseband: UCKJ3
Kernel: 2.6.35.7 - I997RUXG3-CL366622 user@netbook #Infusion-GB-CoreA

Last edited by k_semler; 07-18-2009 at 04:47 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO
Carrier: Sprint

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff
Re: Free My Phone Petition

Nope - not the spirit of doing business. Business should determine where it goes, not you and definitely not the government. Smacks of government interference where it does not belong.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

Spr0ckEt is keeping up the good workSpr0ckEt is keeping up the good workSpr0ckEt is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Spr0ckEt Send a message via MSN to Spr0ckEt Send a message via Yahoo to Spr0ckEt

Genius... except that GSM phones will not be able to be used on CDMA carriers... and vice versa.
Phone history: Moto V265 (5), Moto V710 (4), Moto E815 (1), Moto Q (4), Treo 700wx (3), and XV6800 (5), Alltel Touch Pro (5), VZW Touch Pro 2 (2), HTC Incredible (3), HTC Thunderbolt (5), HTC Rezound (5), HTC DNA (4), Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (3)
Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT
Threadstarter

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenC View Post
Nope - not the spirit of doing business. Business should determine where it goes, not you and definitely not the government. Smacks of government interference where it does not belong.

If it were up to ATT, they would charge you for enabling the true network indicators on your personally owned phone, even though it has absolutely no impact on the netwrork. Hell, they would probably charge you to flash a new ROM to your phone if they could think of a way to do it. I'm pretty libertarian in my philosophies, but that also extends to personally owned devices. If I purchase a device, I should be entitled to do with it whatever I please. That is the case for non-electronic goods. If I want to buy a $50000 car and make it into a demolition derby vehicle, I can do so. However, if I buy a new phone, I have to almost beg ATT for the unlock code, and if I use the built in capability to tether, I run afoul of the EULA.

When you buy a radio, do you get a "license agreement" only authorizing you to listen to company-approved radio stations between the hours of 2200-0430? When you buy or assemble a computer, do you get a "license agreement" that states that you may not install FreeBSD or Ubuntu? When you buy a vehicle, does the warranty state that unless you buy all your fuel at Tesoro-2-Go Fuel Stations, your warranty is not valid? No. Wireless service should be no different. I bought the unit, so I should be able to use it however I see fit. Whether that be flashing a new ROM, using the existing capabilities of the phone to the fullest potential in every aspect, or even using it as a very expensive shotgun clay. I bought it, it's mine, and I should be able to do what I want with my legally owned property.

Last edited by k_semler; 07-19-2009 at 10:00 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions