PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   This is why WM users get screwed on the good apps. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75193)

91ludesit 07-18-2009 10:16 AM

This is why WM users get screwed on the good apps.

So I read an interesting article about smartphones, and was shocked when I found out WM is dead last with around 8% of the market. So I started reading some reviews of some windows mobile phones. I wanted to share, I pulled up the Touch Pro on Verizon mainly because that is what I had.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/p...tem=phoneFirst

Pretty much everybody hates this phone due to how "slow" it is. I think the fault lies with MS as I love my phone. I didn't even use the stock rom for an hour when I got it. I knew what I was getting into, and had done the research to find the best ROM for my situation. If MS would hire some of the Rom tweakers around here they might not be dead last....

If wm had more users we might get more love on the apps as there would be a bigger market for developers. Look at a great app like Beejive, abandoned because they believed there wasn't a market for it. I would have paid for a finished and supported version...

/rant

MikeElGiga23 07-18-2009 12:25 PM

Re: This is why WM users get screwed on the good apps.

sad but true... Windows Mobile has the best hardware and why? cuz it needs it to try to keep up since the software is dramaticaly holding it back. Yes it has a lot of features but its packed on a old, clunky, unstable, buggy, OS. I know that most of us geeks know what we were getting ourselves into with these devices but gladly we know how to squeeze the life out of it and make it useable. sadly outside of this site, xda and several others, most people hate Windows with a passion, even good unbaised reviewers like Noah from Phondog.com that even tbough he has stated all the good points of the new WM devices, he admits that he doesnt like the platform at all

Journeyjeans 07-18-2009 01:52 PM

Lol, be careful. I started a thread awhile back asking "why is windows mobile so slow?" and almost got eaten alive, lol

But yeah, I agree with you OP. Perception of WM is the problem. Even with sales. I went to Best Buy yesterday to look at Verizon's Blackberry Tour, and I was talking with the sales lady about Smartphones in general, snd she was doing everything possible to steer me away frim WinMo, lol

91ludesit 07-18-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Journeyjeans (Post 1043946)
Lol, be careful. I started a thread awhile back asking "why is windows mobile so slow?" and almost got eaten alive, lol

But yeah, I agree with you OP. Perception of WM is the problem. Even with sales. I went to Best Buy yesterday to look at Verizon's Blackberry Tour, and I was talking with the sales lady about Smartphones in general, snd she was doing everything possible to steer me away frim WinMo, lol

Verizon has very high return rates for WinMo phones. I had decided on the TP before I even went in to buy. They tried to talk me into a blackberry as well, they told me I would hate windows mobile. I am just pissed that nobody wants to develop apps for it because the market is so small. I use SSK on my TP and its more then perfectly usable, in fact it seemed faster then the last iPhone I unlocked for somebody.

Noir 07-18-2009 03:24 PM

Using blackberry os, I have to wonder why people consider windows mobile to be bad. The blackberry os has worse leaks than windows mobile (as little as 10 mb ram available for applications even on custom firmwares wtf). The support for blackberry is a bit unappealing as well...so I wonder where is the speed with the blackberry?
Case and point I got 2 blackberries - a storm and the tour. The storm was probably the worst mobile phone I have ever used (great for playing videos though). The speaker quality is good, but the OS is so clunky and you're so restricted on what you can do, there is very little you can do to change that. The tour is a bit better, but I found myself running through the same errors, even after the leaked tour update.
VZW tried to work that same logic on me windows mobile sucks, its slow and clunky when I went to pay my bill. I said what phone do you have? they said iphone and blackberry storm respectively (two reps). So I said okay let me show you how "slow" my phone is. They were shocked and said wai that's not supposed to be released for months and you have it? you can play every video format on this thing? How its a clunky operating system...its not fast at all...the iphone person got really mad and left for lunch...the storm rep said wow that beats my storm...you got a good phone...I smiled and walked away LOL

fixxxer2012 07-19-2009 03:14 PM

windows mobile needs a TOTAL rewritten UI to compete with the pre and iphone.

Meanee 07-21-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 1045714)
windows mobile needs a TOTAL rewritten UI to compete with the pre and iphone.

Or just remove a buttload of legacy stuff in it.

I think the reason iphone feels so snappy is due to the fact that there are no old applications holding it back to legacy roots that device and OS must support.

kabuk1 07-23-2009 04:18 AM

Perception is everything with Windows Mobile. It's thought of as an old, clunky old-fart OS that's strictly business, and I admit before I got my Mogul last October, I thought of it that way as well. Now, I can't use anything but. I'm spoiled by the absolute FREEDOM WinMo offers. People don't realize how truly awesome & powerful WM is. You can do ANYTHING with it! My old Mogul actually served as my laptop replacement for about 5 months this year. When I tell people I have a WM phone, they sneer until I whip my TP out & show them just how much it can do. They end up stunned & feeling very disenchanted with their blackberries & iphones.

I agree that WM needs the REALLY old stuff taken out & a few updates, but overall I'm completely happy with it. I love being able to run old programs, I still play Shadowgate & run an old Moon phase plugin. I don't want MS to change it too much, lest we end up with a locked down, proprietary, non-backwards compatible abortion like WebOS. I was a Palm girl for years & was eagerly anticipating the Pre until I read about the "new & improved" OS. I've learned in my 28 years that "new & improved" usually means "ruined & no fun anymore". I'd still take a Pre over an iPhone though :P