PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Nex-tech Wireless

ChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Glossary, Terms, Definitions, Acronyms

Since I couldn't find a glossary on here, I though I would start one!

This is just a basic start for some of the terms that I have encountered so far. Most of the information is taken from Wikipedia, xda-developers forum, and from information I have gathered from here. Ideally I would like for other geeks to contribute so that I can modify and eventually have an extensive list of common (and not so common) terms used in the world of PPCs. Anyone who would like a definition of a term not listed may post a request and I will try to find out for you when I get a chance. Also, if any errors are found please let me know so I can fix it. (A verifiable source may be requested depending on the information disputed).

Anyone who would like to contribute may do so, please keep it in a similar format (i.e. Term - Definition) and make it as informative as possible. Any one contributing will get a thanks from me and their name added to the list of contributors that will be at the end of this post.

GLOSSARY OF COMMON TERMS & ACRONYMS

.cab - Cabinet file format. Common file type used in PPCs due the their compression and ability to install themselves.

A2DP - Advanced Audio Distribution Profile -Put simply, this is the definiton of how the audio between the source and the destination is streamed in relation to Bluetooth devices. http://www.bluetooth.com/English/Tec...ages/A2DP.aspx

ActiveSync - Software generally used to sync data between a desktop PC with a PocketPC.

AVRPC - Audio/Video Remote Control Profile - In relation to Bluetooth, it is what is used to provide a standard interface that allows control of multiple pieces of equipment with one device. Detailed information: http://www.bluetooth.com/English/Tec...ges/AVRCP.aspx

Brick - Slang term meaning a phone that no longer responds to anything, good for use only as a "brick".

CDMA - Common term used for phone carriers utilizing the Code Division Multiple Access channel access method. Actual cell phone standards are called CDMAOne & CDMA2000.

Chef - A person who cooks ROMs.

Cook - The process of modifying a ROM to contain desired settings, themes, programs, etc.

Curtain - Software or programming designed to turn off the touchscreen on your device. Usually used to prevent accidental activation of buttons, such as pressing of keys with your face during a call.

EDGE - Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution, a digital mobile phone technology that allows increased trasmission rates as an extension of GSM. Considered a 3G radio technology.

Flash - The process of overwriting the current ROM on a phone with a different one.

GPRS - General Packet Radio Service, a packet oriented mobile date service availabe on some cellular communication systems. Used for the transfer of data such as internet and other network information.

GSM - Global System for Mobile communications, a common cell phone system. Generally identified by use of a SIM card.

Hard Reset - Reseting the phone to the default ROM settings, clearing all changes and personal settings. Method varies by model.

HSPA - High Speed Packet Access, a collection of two mobile telephony protocols (High Speed Downlink Packet Access [HSDPA] and High Speed Uplink Packet Access [HSUPA], that extend and improve the performance of existing WCDMA protocols. It does this by using improved modulation to increase the peak transfer rates.

HSPL - aka HardSPL, a file that permanently replaces the SPL on your phone.

IMEI - International Mobile Equipment Identity, a unique number used to identify GSM and WCDMA and iDEN phones, as well as some satellite phones. Found inside the battery compartment or by pressing #06#. This number used to verify valid phones and can prevent stolen phones from accessing the network.

IPL - Initial Program Load(er), the first part of the bootup process when a phone it turned on. Hardwired into the phone and can't be changed, checks the phones hardware state.

Kitchen - A tool used to "cook" custom ROMs.

Locked - A phone with security measures in place to prevent changes to the SPL and ROM.

Manilla - See Touch-Flo3D

MMS - Multimedia Messaging Service - Similar to SMS but also capable of sending pictures, text, and video.

MS3 - SPB Mobile Shell 3, a user interface for PPCs.

MSL - Master Security Lock or Master Subsidy Lock, a code used to "lock" a phone. So termed because phone companies use it to ensure they get their subsidy back by ensuring that users can't use the phone with another company.

MSVC - Microsoft Voice Command
A program used to allow voice command functions on Windows based phones

OTKSL - One Time Key Security Lock, similar to MSL but only used one time, such as when providers program the phone.

PagePool - aka Page Pool, the amount of space allocated for use in a paging virtual memory configuration. The page pool is used to limit the amount of standard RAM used by storing code that has been unused for a while and returning it later if needed. Standard page pool is 4mb, but it can be adjusted. Higher page pools usually result in faster program performance and slower OS performance, while lower page pools offer faster OS speeds at the cost of program performance. More info here and here.

PAN - Personal Area Networking Profile - Profile defining how multiple Bluetooth devices can form a network, and how that formed network can access remote networks (such as the internet) through an access point. http://www.bluetooth.com/English/Tec...Pages/PAN.aspx

PPC - Pocket PC, a device used primarily as a PDA with cell phone capabilities as a secondary feature. A touchscreen generally differentiates it from a smartphone.

PRI - Primary Rate Interface, a telecommunication standard for carrying multiple voice and data transmission between a network and a user.

PRL - Preferred Roaming List, a database located in wireless (primarily CDMA) devices such as cellphones that contains information used during system seletion and acquisition. Indicates which bands, sub bands, and service providers whould be used and their priority.

Provisioning - The process of preparing and equipping a network so that it is able to provide services to it's customers. Since distinction between users services and "higher level" services is not possible in a modern signal infrastructure, provisioning is used to configure the required data and technology resources to provide customer access.

QTC - Quantum Tunneling Composites, composite materials of metals and non-conducting elastomeric binder, used as pressure sensors. Used to create advanced touchscreens that do not require the electrical stimulus of human skin, i.e. touchscreens that can be used through clothing.

Radio - Used by phones to pick up the cellular signal. Version and capabilities varies depending on phone, ROM, and carrier.

ROM - Read Only Memory, the default settings for a phone. When a hard reset is performed these settings are what it reverts to. Can be changed by using a "Kitchen", creating a custom ROM. The original, unmodified ROM for a phone is called a stock ROM.

RUU - ROM Upgrade Utility - A program that is used to flash a phone with the desired ROM.

S2A - Slide to Answer, an application that requires sliding an icon to answer incoming calls. Generally used to prevent accidental answering on touchscreen devices.

S2U - Slide to Unlock, an application that requires sliding an icon to unlock the phone.

SIM Card - Subscriber Identity Module, a detachable smart card containing a user's subscription information and phone book. Used in phones on a GSM network.

SIP - Soft Input Panel, the primary method of input for PPC. Also refered to as touchscreen keyboard or fingerboard.

Smartphone - A device used primarily as a cell phone, with PDA capabilities as a secondary feature. Usually lacks a touchscreen.

SMS - Short Message System, a communication service that allows for exchange of short text messages between mobile telephones.

Soft Reset - Clears the cache and reboots the phone. Usually done by holding the power button or pressing a reset button.

SPL - Secondary Program Loader, similar to the BIOS in a computer and capable of being flashed. Loads up the ROM and other defaults.

SSPL - aka SoftSPL, a file that temporarily replaces your SPL. Easier to change or replace than a HSPL.

Titanium - The default interface for Windows Mobile 6.5. Default configuration is horizontal bars that scroll vertically, with the highlighted bar able to scroll horizontally (depending on information).

Touch-Flo 3D
- Also referred to as TF3D, TFlo3D, & Manilla. The default interface for Windows Mobile 6.1. Uses a row of icons near the bottom of the screen that slides horizontally to display information for the current icon.

UC - User Customization, a program that allows extended customiztion through your SD card. Allows for automatic installation of cabs when flashing to a new ROM. More info here.

Unlocked - A phone with security settings removed, allowing for changes in the SPL and ROM.

W-CDMA - Wideband Code Division Multiple Access, an air interface found in 3G mobile telecommunications networks

WWE - World Wide English, used to indicated that ROM's are English based.

XIP - Execute in Place, a method of executing a program or file without moving it to memory. In PPCs this is usually used for the bootloader, and XIP porting is the process of taking the file and moving it to another device. (Based on the info I can find, verification would be appreciated)

Contributions
TMan11 - lwrdrchvy2 - bikeandestroyx - miguelfp1

Last edited by ChaosTheory; 05-24-2010 at 09:28 AM.
This post has been thanked 34 times.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

TMan11 is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to TMan11
Wink Re: Glossary, Terms, Definitions, Acronyms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Since I couldn't find a glossary on here, I though I would start one! (Mods - If I am wrong or if this should be located somewhere else, please inform me or move it as needed )

This is just a basic start for some of the terms that I have encountered so far. Most of the information is taken from Wikipedia, xda-developers forum, and from information I have gathered from here. Ideally I would like for other geeks to contribute so that I can modify and eventually have an extensive list of common (and not so common) terms used in the world of PPCs. Anyone who would like a definition of a term not listed may post a request and I will try to find out for you when I get a chance. Also, if any errors are found please let me know so I can fix it. (A verifiable source may be requested depending on the information disputed).

Anyone who would like to contribute may do so, please keep it in a similar format (i.e. Term - Definition) and make it as informative as possible. Any one contributing will get a thanks from me and their name added to the list of contributors that will be at the end of this post.

GLOSSARY OF COMMON TERMS & ACRONYMS

.cab - Cabinet file format. Common file type used in PPCs due the their compression and ability to install themselves.

ActiveSync - Software generally used to sync data between a desktop PC with a PocketPC.

Brick - Slang term meaning a phone that no longer responds to anything, good for use only as a "brick".

CDMA - Common term used for phone carriers utilizing the Code Division Multiple Access channel access method. Actual cell phone standards are called CDMAOne & CDMA2000.

Chef - A person who cooks ROMs.

Cook - The process of modifying a ROM to contain desired settings, themes, programs, etc.

Flash - The process of overwriting the current ROM on a phone with a different one.

GPRS - General Packet Radio Service, a packet oriented mobile date service availabe on some cellular communication systems. Used for the transfer of data such as internet and other network information.

GSM - Global System for Mobile communications, a common cell phone system. Generally identified by use of a SIM card.

HSPL - aka HardSPL, a file that permanently replaces the SPL on your phone.

IPL - Initial Program Load(er), the first part of the bootup process when a phone it turned on. Hardwired into the phone and can't be changed, checks the phones hardware state.

Kitchen - A tool used to "cook" custom ROMs.

Locked - A phone with security measures in place to prevent changes to the SPL and ROM.

MMS - Multimedia Messaging Service - Similar to SMS but also capable of sending pictures, text, and video.

PPC - Pocket PC, a device used primarily as a PDA with cell phone capabilities as a secondary feature. A touchscreen generally differentiates it from a smartphone.

PRI - Primary Rate Interface, a telecommunication standard for carrying multiple voice and data transmission between a network and a user.

PRL - Preferred Roaming List, a database located in wireless (primarily CDMA) devices such as cellphones that contains information used during system seletion and acquisition. Indicates which bands, sub bands, and service providers whould be used and their priority.

Radio - Used by phones to pick up the cellular signal. Version and capabilities varies depending on phone, ROM, and carrier.

ROM - Read Only Memory, the default settings for a phone. When a hard reset is performed these settings are what it reverts to. Can be changed by using a "Kitchen", creating a custom ROM. The original, unmodified ROM for a phone is called a stock ROM.

RUU - ROM Upgrade Utility - A program that is used to flash a phone with the desired ROM.

S2A - Slide to Answer, an application that requires sliding an icon to answer incoming calls. Generally used to prevent accidental answering on touchscreen devices.

S2U - Slide to Unlock, an application that requires sliding an icon to unlock the phone.

SIM Card - Subscriber Identity Module, a detachable smart card containing a user's subscription information and phone book. Used in phones on a GSM network.

Smartphone - A device used primarily as a cell phone, with PDA capabilities as a secondary feature. Usually lacks a touchscreen.

SMS - Short Message System, a communication service that allows for exchange of short text messages between mobile telephones.

SPL - Secondary Program Loader, similar to the BIOS in a computer and capable of being flashed. Loads up the ROM and other defaults.

SSPL - aka SoftSPL, a file that temporarily replaces your SPL. Easier to change or replace than a HSPL.

Titanium - The default interface for Windows Mobile 6.5. Default configuration is horizontal bars that scroll vertically, with the highlighted bar able to scroll horizontally (depending on information).

Touch-Flo 3D
- Also referred to as TF3D and TFlo3. The default interface for Windows Mobile 6.1. Uses a row of icons near the bottom of the screen that slides horizontally to display information for the current icon.

Unlocked - A phone with security settings removed, allowing for changes in the SPL and ROM.
For the Touch Flo section you should put in i(t is also referred as manilla) i have seen lots of peopling wondering what manilla is so i thought should be added. Good Post

This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 PM
VIP BABY
Pocket PC: moto driod
Carrier: verzion

madcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Glossary, Terms, Definitions, Acronyms

nice write up so far good job how bout terms chefs use next
Old 06-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

ChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcook View Post
nice write up so far good job how bout terms chefs use next
I am hoping to have an extensive glossary of as many terms and acronyms as possible for all aspects of pocket PCs. Since I don't know very many of them I am relying on people to help me, and so far I haven't had much help
Old 06-27-2009, 03:47 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I am hoping to have an extensive glossary of as many terms and acronyms as possible for all aspects of pocket PCs. Since I don't know very many of them I am relying on people to help me, and so far I haven't had much help
great job this should get stickied
Old 06-27-2009, 06:06 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

Very nice!!
If I think of any that aren't already here I'll definitely make sure to post them!

+1 on the sticky idea.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

electror7 is a n00b

Thanks so much. This cleared lots of questions!
Old 06-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by electror7 View Post
Thanks so much. This cleared lots of questions!
Glad I could help.

Now I just have to get all the people that know everything to contribute Ii know there are lots of things it is missing.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Come on people, contribute! I know it's missing stuff, and I know there are lots of people out there than could add to it.

And mods, if possible, I know there have been a couple requests for a sticky on this. I know it would have helped me out when I first started, and being a sticky would help even more for those unaware of good searching habits

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch
Carrier: Sprint

suzannaski is a n00b

Qtc??

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions