PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Bigger Phones, Kind Of Backwards (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69796)

zepsamsung 05-26-2009 02:50 PM

Bigger Phones, Kind Of Backwards

Ok, the new Touch Pro2 is a decent new brick of a phone. It seams that phone makers are going backwards. For years many phone designers have said smaller is better. Well that is not the case lately. They have been designing phones with no hardware keys. This is bad in many cases like mine, I don't sweat on half my body and fingertips. No dpad or keys would mean I would have to lick my fingers all the time while useing a full touch screen. Also, if you broke your screen hunting or hiking and had to call 911, you could not with no hardware keys or keyboard. So why do a lot of folks want theses bigger phones? Before long you would be holding a 6 inch screen with a foot massaager built in, joke. So the industry has gone from palm size to brick size which is backwards. If you want a huge screen, buy a netbook.

Darkjedi 05-26-2009 02:59 PM

Re: Bigger Phones, Kind Of Backwards

For normal phones maybe, but for smartphones, screensize is usually directly correlated with phone size. I personally prefer the larger screen of the TP2 and would gladly exchange hardware buttons for that. I constantly browse the internet on my phone and the 2.8" screen can cause eye strain. The VGA resolution helps, but it's still limited to its size. The iPhone proved that the market was looking for devices with large screens. Not that they are necessarily bigger, but that they are just easier to look at and use. In any case, one of the iphone's 'features' was that it was thin too. I've always questioned why companies don't just create a device with the screen taking up like 99% of the surface, but instead have like bezeling and other things that take up space that could be used for screen space. As much as I dislike the iPhone, it's probably the posterchild of that sort of design. This new TP2 is pretty close.

Why would you need to sweat/lick your fingers for touch screens?

zepsamsung 05-26-2009 03:07 PM

YOU know tour right a touch screen that covered most of the front surface area would be great.

zepsamsung 05-26-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkjedi007 (Post 936461)
For normal phones maybe, but for smartphones, screensize is usually directly correlated with phone size. I personally prefer the larger screen of the TP2 and would gladly exchange hardware buttons for that. I constantly browse the internet on my phone and the 2.8" screen can cause eye strain. The VGA resolution helps, but it's still limited to its size. The iPhone proved that the market was looking for devices with large screens. Not that they are necessarily bigger, but that they are just easier to look at and use. In any case, one of the iphone's 'features' was that it was thin too. I've always questioned why companies don't just create a device with the screen taking up like 99% of the surface, but instead have like bezeling and other things that take up space that could be used for screen space. As much as I dislike the iPhone, it's probably the posterchild of that sort of design. This new TP2 is pretty close.

Why would you need to sweat/lick your fingers for touch screens?

Because touch screens do not react well with super dry skin. I can't use an atm well because of dry finger tips. Also can't grip cardboard or paper, glass is the worst to grip.

j_j 05-26-2009 03:21 PM

the touch pro2 has alot hardware keys: a keyboard of them;
the pro2 has a sleeker design than pro; how are they moving backward?

ou2mame 05-26-2009 03:34 PM

this is not the type of phone you bring hiking with you. actually, its the type of phone you bring to the office with you. these phones are for professionals, and people who need technology. get a netbook? why carry two devices? i got the tp so i don't have to lug my laptop around to work on excel docs and ftp docs. backwards? i have all the basic functionality of a notebook in my pocket, which a phone built into it as well. thats not backwards, thats extremely forward.

i mean, if you don't like it, don't get it. but its not obsolete technology, you're just looking at it like its a phone or something. its not a phone, its a pda with a cellular network capabilities. if you need a "phone", get a "phone". the people who buy these need more than just a phone. they still make small and capable phones, and i don't think thats going to end anytime soon so there's nothing to worry about.

i don't understand the need for sweat on a touch screen... the stylus is just plastic? but i dunno, i'm not an expert in that area. I understand the touch sensitive buttons like call and end not working though, that makes sense. and trust me, atm screens don't work for anybody lol

i don't know what you're looking for either... i don't get the point of this thread. if you want a smartphone that has buttons, look at the palms. if you want one that doesn't, try htc? you want a pda phone that has a number pad? just open the phone, there's buttons right there. but yeah, if you broke the screen the phone prob wouldn't work, but then again, you probably shouldn't be bringing a touch screen phone into the woods if you plan on being so far away, and alone, that it could possibly be the end of your life if it broke. i don't even bring this phone to the beach, nevermind mountain climbing.

1moreforum 05-26-2009 03:39 PM

I love smaller phones. But, I'll sacrifice some of that for what others have already posted. I do want a nice big screen. And I do want a phone that can do more than make a call and play music. If I have to sacrifice a little space for bigger screen and more technology than that's fine. I am not sure I'll like the size of the tp2 but that's just me. There are a couple other phones coming out that look pretty good and are a little smaller as well.

Figure out what is important to you and get a phone that will meet those. Each phone is designed for a certain demographic. No one phone is going to make everyone happy.

esqueue 05-26-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zepsamsung (Post 936483)
Because touch screens do not react well with super dry skin. I can't use an atm well because of dry finger tips. Also can't grip cardboard or paper, glass is the worst to grip.

These screens do not rely on any time of moisture or the human body in anyway. They work off of pressure. You are mixing it up with the iphone and palm pre's screens which will not work with extremely dry fingers.

pezx44 05-26-2009 04:19 PM

The screen works through pressure unlike screens like the iphone. No need to lick your fingers. It also has a full keyboard full of hardware keys. If you don't like touch screens or if you prefer smaller phones, there are options. Unfortunately, when you are using your phone as a mini computer, you run into a limiting factor of how small a screen can be while still being useful.

zepsamsung 05-26-2009 04:21 PM

I own a business, bulbsbladesandautoglass.faithweb.com. I use my phone for my business all day. I just think, in my opinion that the new pocket pc phones are going larger. The new TP2 would be too big to carry all the time.
I have an IPAQ 2495b and a Mogul, now the Touch Pro. My TP is the perfect size, I use it for college and for business also. I even watch HULU on it with Skyfire. I think the new TP2 looks hot and is great but as I stated is not good for my medical condition without the dpad and larger phone buttons.
BTW, the new TP uses an older cpu. Msm7600 and not the newer msm7501a like the Touch Pro, but that might have something to do with the lawsuit issues earlier this year with broadcom. So in conclusion, I find the new Touch Pro to be an awesome bigger screened phone. However I agree with an earlier post about making the screen fill the front of the phone which could mean a even bigger oled screen in the same size device, that would be nice.