PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

BigMrChimps is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What is GPS on a phone?

I have seen many threads here with questions on how the GPS on the phone works. Many of the answers that were given were complete bunk. When you think of GPS everyone immediately thinks of the satellites that are in space all over the globe that help to locate your position. There is another system out there that your phone uses. It is the system of towers that each cell phone company has in place all around the country. The cell phone is able to triangulate its own position from the varying strengths of signals it picks up from the towers around itself; it is able to judge from the individual names of the towers its exact coordinates on the globe. This system was put in place tagged with saving lives for 911 purposes. When you dial 911 the device automatically sends its coordinates to the authorities in order that emergency services will be able to find you quicker.
GPS without having service, Now to answer that thread if you were able to use the gps functionality of the device to work before or have it working now, for VZW customers DO NOT UPGRADE THE SOFTWARE VERSION. Sorry for the caps but it is important if you would like the phones GPS to keep working. The GPS functionality is disabled by some cell phone companies if you do not have service.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by BigMrChimps; 05-26-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Re: What is GPS on a phone?

no, sorry, mrchimps, but you are only furthering the mis-understandings.
verizon has disabled the standalone gps, but other (@least sprint) have not, and the phone (htc 6800 and newer) can use both satellite and cell gps.

Official Titan built-in GPS Thread
Old 05-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

jmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to jmy72 Send a message via Yahoo to jmy72
Re: What is GPS on a phone?

Yes, but you can go into the Registry and reactivate the GPS. I have mine set up to COM 4. now I can use it with the regular programs like google maps and such, But I can also use it as a stand alone GPS receiver which actually does use the satellites for a Global Position, and I connect my phone to my Celestron GT Advanced Series telescope, so that it can properly track stars, galaxies, and planets. It works quite well.

It was originally shut off by the provider, but muwhahahahaha, they can't stop me!!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions