PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 01:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

fishpony is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
is it just me?? -rant-

Just wanted to see if i'm the only one on here that is sick of standing up for the Touch Pro/ Windows Mobile in general. I've had a motoQ, Mogul, and bought a Touch Pro the week it came out, spent $475 on the thing thinking that the extra CPU speed and Ram would finally speed Windows Mobile up enough to not lag. Well after flashing 6-7 different ROMs, fully loaded and completely stripped, i've finally decided WM just sucks speed wise. I know i have no other option but to keep hanging in there and see if the hardware catches up or if maybe Android will work out for me.

My coworker has an Iphone and he was sick of ATT so he was thinking about getting Sprint. I could not honestly reccommend getting a TP over the Iphone. Now dont get me wrong i would Never get an Iphone but i can't see anyone being happy going from a stable yet locked down OS with an App store, to a buggy/laggy WM. sending text messages with the physical keyboard and if i have anything else open it lags a word behind when i type, even with nothing open it is still laggy. How much processing power does that honestly take?

Now looking at the Touch Pro 2 specs from spring and seeing that it has the exact same hardware im wondering why the F i keep standing up for these phones. It's going to perform exactly the same as the TP. When are we going to get a good performing phone to use? Will it take another operating system? Tegra? Am i the only one that is a little pist about my $500 phone? Maybe it is just me...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: is it just me?? -rant-

I feel your pain...

I feel it is HTC that just screws us over. They don't optimize their drivers and crap imho. Competing phones with half the horsepower run smoother (non-WinMo too).

I think we need more ODMs making us WinMo phones!

As I agree it is just asinine that we can't see immense speed differences among PPC hardware from 4 years ago (HTC Wizard) over hardware now.

And the one that always gets me livid... WHY IN ALL CREATION DOES THE PHONE SLOW TO A CRAWL DURING A PHONE CALL???

From my understanding the chip on the phone has a dedicated ARM chip for apps and another chip for the CDMA radio.

Microsoft needs to flex some serious muscle to force HTC to stop ruining the WinMo experience. They won't last in this sector otherwise.
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 AM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazell View Post
I feel your pain...

I feel it is HTC that just screws us over. They don't optimize their drivers and crap imho. Competing phones with half the horsepower run smoother (non-WinMo too).

I think we need more ODMs making us WinMo phones!

As I agree it is just asinine that we can't see immense speed differences among PPC hardware from 4 years ago (HTC Wizard) over hardware now.

And the one that always gets me livid... WHY IN ALL CREATION DOES THE PHONE SLOW TO A CRAWL DURING A PHONE CALL???

From my understanding the chip on the phone has a dedicated ARM chip for apps and another chip for the CDMA radio.

Microsoft needs to flex some serious muscle to force HTC to stop ruining the WinMo experience. They won't last in this sector otherwise.
They're really the only name in the WinMo game right now, and pretty much the primary proprietor of WM still... So far, they're the first with an Android handset, and that WM trend may stick with Android if the next generation of Android handsets from other manufacturers sucks out loud. HTC sure may not be great, but they aren't awful, either. Their basis in Taiwan says a LOT - they cut corners wherever possible, and for the most part, these trimmings make sense... still, some, like the touch diamond/pro's extremely poor video performance and reliance on the QTV crutch is just simply a mistake.

I'm sticking up for HTC -for now-... They're still in the game, but they really need to step things up or they're going to fall behind. If HTC releases a killer handset with WM 7, and they just may, they will be able to effectively silence all complaints as such.

Keep in mind, these handsets are quite a bit cheaper than some of the competitors... iphone anyone? It may have a low initial purchase price, but you pay plenty extra over your two year contract.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

my main problem with htc is the same driver issue that has plagued them from the start. you can blame qualcomm, you can blame htc.. but somebody somewhere needs to fix this issue. while this won't fix the bugginess of the os, it will fix some of the lag. the rest of it? its the same argument that has been used for pc's for the past 20 years. windows is designed for millions of configurations while apple's software is designed for a handful. same goes for windows mobile. i dunno, is that a good enough justification for bugs? i'm not sure. i know its a recession and all, but somebody's gotta spend the money to fix it. it has gotten better though, i have to say. i've been using windows mobile for a long time... apple knows this is true, thats why their barcode scanners and portable registers run windows ce. its fast, light, and stable. our phones though? they're neither. its everyone's fault. but we knew this when we bought them, and if you didn't, you had 30 days to return it lol

i *can't* find a phone to do the things that i need it to do, other than a windows mobile device. my phone works for me, but for the average user, if you don't specifically need a piece of software, then you probably shouldn't be using it.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:42 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC ARRIVE
Carrier: sprint

havox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

every phone has its flaws...i would say the touch pro is the best & worst phone i have ever had...its so great but the basic phone functions suck..i would never recommend it either because of the battery/heat issues, but 6.5 has speed improvements but its still a lil buggy...really it just depends on what u wanna use your phone for but it doesnt get much better..my sister has the iphone & my brother has the G1 & they both have there problems but so does every phone..ima stick with my touch pro until wm7 or a phone with a DTV tuner built-in comes out cuz all my phones have had there problems so i dont see y to change just so i can be mad about another phones problems...never played with a blackberry tho maybe i mite try 1 of those

Dank-Ass Robba

Old 05-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

you're not the only 1 op!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

evilpeople is becoming a great contributor

To offer a counterpoint, I'm very happy with my TP. I've used ROMs by Juggalo X, Juicy and MightyMike. The only ROM I wasn't happy with (mostly) was a pre-6.5 that I tried for, I think, about two hours. My wife had a Centro and switched to the 800w and a friend of mine switched from the Centro to a Treo Pro. While the WinMo OS is certainly not perfect, I think that those who like it understand how powerful and configurable it is and deal with its rather minor problems (most of which are fixable by the end user).

The only thing that might switch me from WinMo is the Pre, but we'll just have to see when it comes out. It's a slick little device.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: BB Curve 8330

Kash76 is keeping up the good workKash76 is keeping up the good work

I have given up on WM after being a huge supporter for 10+ years with my first Philips Nino.

I am now using a BB Curve and while there isn't anything WOW about it, it just works. I can answer phone calls, it actually rings when someone calls (not after three rings), it doesn't lock up, and best of all the battery lasts through the heaviest of usage.

I am excited to see the Pre but think that the battery life will screw it. I look forward to the Niagra BB device on Sprint.

WM is an aged, and bloated OS. Developers have a hard time because there are SOOOO may devices to code for and manufacturers like HTC 'tweek' the OS to make it more iPhone like which causes more problems for developers.

MS needs to start from scratch.

Many dumb phones-->Treo650-->700wx-->800w-->Touch Pro --> Treo Pro --> BB Curve 8330
Old 05-06-2009, 10:15 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

I agree. people need to stfu about Iphones,
Old 05-06-2009, 10:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700,6800,6900,Touch Pro ,
Carrier: sprint

tc32brat is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to tc32brat

i think that it isn't really the os that sucks....i think it is the batteries...i don't think technology is good enough in batteries to allow the os that Microsoft wants to make. Just like in electric cars, battery development just isn't there yet. If you had a powerful battery, then you could speed up possessor, and ram. htc has to make a choice of how much battery life they want the phone to have....it can't get to hot...or only last an hour. I think that once they develop a battery that can last all day...on heavy usage...then you will see less lag and windows will run without a glitch. all this is just my opinion.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions