PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Refurbished or new dose it matter?
I don't like refurbs 3 17.65%
Refurbs are as good as new 11 64.71%
What a stupid question never ask me anything again 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Referbs good or bad

I am just wondering what the community thinks about getting a refurbished PPC in exchange for a defective PPC. For example here is my current story. I have a Touch Pro that has developed a screen issue its less than 90 days old, I took it to a Sprint store to see what they could do. I was told that they were out of screens so they couldn't fix my current phone so now I am getting a replacement first of next week I am not sure if I will be getting a new Touch Pro or if they will be giving me a refurbished one. I personally have no problem getting the refurb after all if they had had the necessary parts they would have refurbished my PPC in the store that day. This is of course a warranty item and almost every manufacturer reserved the right to repair or replace your defective goods in this case I am getting a replacement whatever that turns out to be. I personally would rather have my current Touch Pro rebuilt because I know the history of the device however there is something to be said about getting the device rebuilt by someone who works on the Touch Pro all the time rather than some in store tech who deals with many different devices in a day.

So everyone tell me your stories, what dose the community think is it fair to have to take a refurbished device in exchange for a less than 90 day old brand new device?
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:49 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc
Re: Referbs good or bad

I have had many devices replaced with refurbs and most are just as good as new but I have had my issues as well. My biggest issues have been with dim or nonresponsive touch screens to buttons that don't respond correctly. My suggestion is to give your replacement a good look over as soon as you get it and compare it to your current unit and make sure it is comparable.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: None, Looking to buy a Touch pro
Carrier: Alltel

Bigsniperboy is just getting started

Refurbs are cool by me, i got a refurb apache and it gave many years of service
Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
bigbilal04

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

work at job that sells refurb phones.
Great deal, usually pretty much brand new. Great Value
Old 03-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

i've had some refurbs and it's hit or miss. but usually with a fairly new phone like the tp, if you get a refurb and it's bad, they will replace that with a new one.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: VZW

jsntrenkler is becoming a great contributor

I agree, with the above ... If you get a bad refurb they will normally replace with a new phone. I have had both good and bad refurbs as well. My I have found the Asurian refurbs to be the worst.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO + Palm PRE + Diamond

gearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuff

refurbs are a crap shoot. I've had really good ones and really bad ones. Theoretically, they should be as good as - if not better than - new models because you get a refurb when a defective new phone gets sent back to the manufacturer to fix whatever was wrong with it. But - that isn't always the case. I have a refurb mogul that is by far better than the 2 new ones I had before that...

[
Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

I have had 2 refurbs and have not had any problems with them. My first Touch Pro was of course new and it died and was subsequently replaced with a refurb due to my desire not to wait.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
p2k
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: TELUS

p2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I think it depends on WHO is doing the refurb. For example, apple refurbs their own products and usually changes the case so it looks brand new. BUT I've also seen third-party apple refurbs that look awful and are scratched etc...

For the most part refurbs are ok, just check the return policy, and waranty. Most creditcards offer a double waranty too. So checked with your CC.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:44 PM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro
Threadstarter

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Just a quick update my TP was replaced with a NIB so no refurb this time. I would have taken a refurb I would not have complained I would have however given a refurb a good once over before leaving the store. But for now this exchange was another brand new Touch Pro I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the comments keep it coming.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions