PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
USB Hub for charger ?

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has done this and does it work ?

I have a XV6800 and my wife has a Blackberry storm (yea, I tried to get her into a WM device but, she wanted it). Anyway, the sync cables for both phones charge the phones.

I was wondering if I could (or has anyone tried) to use a powered USB hub (not connected to a computer) in a location to charge a few phones/USB devices ? I just hate trying to hide a few power blocks when I can just use one....(maybe save some power too ?)

I tried a old crappy powered one and they did not charge (it's a junk USB 1.0 one I had sitting around). If anyone is doing this, do you know of a cheap hub that will give enough power to charge 2-4 devices over USB ?

Thanks !!!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:52 PM
p2k
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: TELUS

p2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: USB Hub for charger ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has done this and does it work ?

I have a XV6800 and my wife has a Blackberry storm (yea, I tried to get her into a WM device but, she wanted it). Anyway, the sync cables for both phones charge the phones.

I was wondering if I could (or has anyone tried) to use a powered USB hub (not connected to a computer) in a location to charge a few phones/USB devices ? I just hate trying to hide a few power blocks when I can just use one....(maybe save some power too ?)

I tried a old crappy powered one and they did not charge (it's a junk USB 1.0 one I had sitting around). If anyone is doing this, do you know of a cheap hub that will give enough power to charge 2-4 devices over USB ?

Thanks !!!
I dont have those phones so I dont know if they will charge on a stand alone charger. So my question is, if you had a AC to USB wall adapter and plugged it into the wall with the sync cable. Will your phones charge?

If so, then technically even the powered USB1.1 hub should have worked. Now it is possible that the 1.1 hub's power block did not have sufficient rating to power the 2 devices. Regardless of how cheap the HUB is it should have had atleast a 2000mA adapter. 500mA X 4 ports. With 2 phones that should have allowed 1000mA per phone which is plenty.

If not, then a hub wont work period.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Not quite sure if this will work... If it does, your phones won't be getting enough juice, therefore they will charge slowly.

EDIT:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=400738

Last edited by [sammich]; 04-03-2009 at 10:09 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2k View Post
I dont have those phones so I dont know if they will charge on a stand alone charger. So my question is, if you had a AC to USB wall adapter and plugged it into the wall with the sync cable. Will your phones charge?

If so, then technically even the powered USB1.1 hub should have worked. Now it is possible that the 1.1 hub's power block did not have sufficient rating to power the 2 devices. Regardless of how cheap the HUB is it should have had atleast a 2000mA adapter. 500mA X 4 ports. With 2 phones that should have allowed 1000mA per phone which is plenty.

If not, then a hub wont work period.
The TP will charge if it is plugged into a ACtoUSB adapter. I personally wonder if the circuitry in the hub kills the power to the ports if it is not recieving a power signal from the PC side through some sort of relay. It would seem like a feature that they would use to conserve power in the hub. Quick way to check would be to plug some sort of USB powered device (keyboard maybe) into the hub and see if it powers up without that PC signal cable connected
Why donate to one person, when you can support the site that makes it all possible instead

Old 04-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
Not quite sure if this will work... If it does, your phones won't be getting enough juice, therefore they will charge slowly.

EDIT:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=400738

Sauman, thats a really nice looking little wall wart, I might pick one up for trips!
Old 04-04-2009, 12:30 PM
p2k
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: TELUS

p2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkjam View Post
The TP will charge if it is plugged into a ACtoUSB adapter. I personally wonder if the circuitry in the hub kills the power to the ports if it is not recieving a power signal from the PC side through some sort of relay. It would seem like a feature that they would use to conserve power in the hub. Quick way to check would be to plug some sort of USB powered device (keyboard maybe) into the hub and see if it powers up without that PC signal cable connected
Your right that may be the case, have you tried to plug in a NON-Powered USB port into the AC->USB adapter? It may not have the intelligence to shut down power to the ports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkjam View Post
Sauman, thats a really nice looking little wall wart, I might pick one up for trips!
Belkin makes some pretty nice stuff, bet that thing is pricey.

I just ordered a AC->USB adapter from dealextreme a 2A one i think it was like 5-6 bux.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions