PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 03:12 AM
Lurker

Momotombo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cricket EVDO only "dial-up"?

I've been messing around with trying to play music remotely on my HTC Titan(So I can have my entire music collection wherever), and I've been moderately successful. I found a server program that works well, but I can only properly connect to it using WiFi. This isn't much of a problem now, as I only really use it in college where there's a free WiFi network, but I want ot make sure it works on EVDO.

So I tried disconnecting the WiFi and accessing the EVDO network. There's a little EV icon that appears on my phone when I do this, so I assume I'm connected properly to EVDO. But, when I click on the icon, it says "Cricket Mobile Web (Dial-Up)". Also, when I try to play a song from the server, it loads the playlist but it doesn't actually play the song. This is going to be a problem when I'm on the road and I want to listen to music from my phone, because obviously there's no WiFi out there, unless I'm in a store or something.

I also noticed that when I load up a webpage using the supposed EVDO, it's pretty slow. Not as slow as it was on my Samsung Messager, but still slow, like dial-up. I'm wondering why the hell it's not broadband speed like my friends have told me. Is there something I should do about it?

By the way, I checked the coverage map on the Cricket site, and apparently I get "excellent coverage" on their map.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:17 AM
Flat-Out-Addicted
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Cricket EVDO only "dial-up"?

I thought cricket uses sprint and verizons cdma towers, so it should be the same evdo... hmmm... thats odd, maybe you just have bad reception... did you try upgrading to a different cricket compatible radio?

If I helped ya or If you like my work, I don't want donations, I don't want coffee, but a simple THANKS
would do the trick!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:26 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Momotombo is a n00b

I'm not really sure where to find them. I'm pretty sure I have the latest radio, but I do only seem to get three bars in my own home, which is weird. How can I check what radio I have and where can I find a different one I should try? If it helps, I live near Houston, TX.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:29 AM
Flat-Out-Addicted

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotombo View Post
I'm not really sure where to find them. I'm pretty sure I have the latest radio, but I do only seem to get three bars in my own home, which is weird. How can I check what radio I have and where can I find a different one I should try? If it helps, I live near Houston, TX.
go start>settings>system tab>device information you'll find it in there...

do some browsing around as to what people are using with cricket...

I'll see what i can find, lemme know what radio you have
Old 03-30-2009, 03:36 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Momotombo is a n00b

Alright, I got my radio version: 3.42.40. Thanks a lot, by the way.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:38 AM
Flat-Out-Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotombo View Post
Alright, I got my radio version: 3.42.40. Thanks a lot, by the way.
No prob... time to do a lil searching for radios... Ill let you know what i find.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:41 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Momotombo is a n00b

Cool, I'll be watching the thread.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:44 AM
Flat-Out-Addicted

Ok, you can try flashing a new radio like the Verizon 3.42.50 radio.. but first, i'd take a look at this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=492214

there is something in the first post stating how to configure your PST settings properly for cricket... i'd take a glance over there... maybe even flash that rom, looks decent...
Old 03-30-2009, 03:54 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Momotombo is a n00b

Actually, that's the ROM I'm using. I also followed the instructions word-for-word on the PST settings, so that's already done.

So, are you sure I should be flashing a Verizon radio if I have Cricket? And when I flash the radio, there aren't any additional steps aside from going into the bootloader and flashing it from the SD card, right?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 AM
Flat-Out-Addicted

man i've been messin so much with tryin to find the ftp for titan and vogue, i feel like a moron lol finally got it...

ftp://ppcgeeks.com/Titan/ go there and click on radios, do your research, pick a radio, maybe 3.42.30 or .50 ... test them out and also make sure you are doing the correct PST settings for cricket.

IMPORTANT: Stay away from ALL RADIOS BELOW 3.35... then you will have no GPS.. if i were you , i'd be testing the 3.42.xx versions first to see what works...

Lemme know how it goes

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions