PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Indredible
Carrier: Verizon

volsmcfalls is keeping up the good workvolsmcfalls is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Questions on Notification Sounds

I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

1) does the notification sound for a text message have to be in .wav format (or some other format)? Can I not just use an .mp3 file for that? I find it hard to believe that my old motorola razor could use mp3 files as text alerts and my ppc cannot.

2) Do the alert sounds / ringtones have to be in a specific location on the phone? I have a memory card with several mp3s on them but when I go in to assign a ringtone they don't show up in the drop-down list. I would really like to not to have to transfer them over to the phone's storage because it would take up room.

3) If you apply a specific ringtone to a contact, do you get that same ringtone if that person texts you, or do you get the default one?

and, lastly, 4) can you assign different text message alerts to different people? In other words, for my wife's contact on my phone I want a unique ringone, as well as a uniqe text message alert (so I'll know if I need to answer it sooner). But, the ringtone wouldn't be a good one to use for the text message because the ringtone is so much longer than a simple text alert.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Re: Questions on Notification Sounds

I believe it can be in a MP3 format.. For best results, place all song you want as ringtones in the 'My Ringtone' file... I believe for texts, you get the default one, regardless of who sent you the message... I am not sure if you can assign unique text message tones.. I wish you could, but I know of no way to do so...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Indredible
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

volsmcfalls is keeping up the good workvolsmcfalls is keeping up the good work

Ok, I've found some more information, so let me re-phrase my initial question...

Simply put, can I use .mp3 files for text/sms notifications or do they HAVE to be .wav files? I understand that they need to be shorter than standard .mp3's. But I have some from my old phone that I used to text notifications (was a regular cell phone) and find it hard to believe that my regular old cell phone would have this capability and my onmia would not.

I also think I have found a program that allows me to assign unique alerts to different people, but it does require a third-party program.

Can anyone definitively answer whether you can use .mp3 files?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:10 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

yes, they can be mp3. I put mine in \my documents and windows picks them up fine. This started with WM6.0. There is more information in my tutorial:

Customizing Rom Sounds - Sound Themes Tutorial
Have you ever wanted to customize the Sound Theme in your ROM? This tutorial will show you how to customize the Sounds in your Custom Rom!

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

Good tutorial Rstoy
Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Lurker

twofingarz is a n00b

you can transfer your mp3's to work on your sd card by using a usb cable to connect the phone to your computer then copy your my documents folder from your mobile device into your storage card then add your mp3's into the my ringtones folder in the my documents on the storage card
Old 03-30-2009, 10:21 AM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

They can be .mp3 or .wav. Place them in \mydevice\windows\rings. And they can be set as ringtones or alerts. When you assign a custom ringtone to a contact that ringtone will only ring for incoming calls and not for texts. There are some third party apps that may allow you to assign custom notifications for each contact. Ringmo was recommended by a friend of mine though I never did download it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions