PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by edufur View Post
Ummm. NO! You are wrong.

You OWN your phone. And you OWN the right to install software on your phone. You OWN the right to modify your registry. ICS and PAM are two different things. Comcast would prefer that you PAY for every device that connects to their internet whether on one modem or not. But the fact is that a router allows you to SHARE the one connection you have and essentially make it one. This is PERFECTLY legal. Comcast can also decide to shut you off if they dont like how you are using the bandwidth. Same holds true with your phone service. ICS is basically allowing you to pass the data that you PAY for in your plan... down a usb wire to your PC. This is not theft. It is just cleverness. And it is functionality that is being provided within the OS. If it was illegal, MS would not make it easy. And if your phone carrier was concerned, they would encrypt and key the PAM service in such a way that it would be impossible to use without paying.
well if you own your phone and everything about it genius, why cant we clone em?? i understand the argument of cloning a number not your own, but shouldnt with your argument, I be allowed to clone my own number? wouldnt that be our own decision to chose to or not to allow to have done to OUR device as you put it.. afterall i pay for my line, why cant i split it into 2 handsets?? the same reason your not suppose to be sharing your data connection with something other the phone itself..

so nice try, your still wrong...

so cheating on your taxes wouldnt be wrong, its just cleaver??? just like cheating our carriers isnt wrong, its cleaver..
"Lose?..I Dont Lose!.....I Win.....I Win.....Im a Lawyer, Thats My Job and Thats What I Do" -Keanu Reeves "Devils Advocate"
Old 02-22-2009, 12:27 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by edufur View Post
Ummm. NO! You are wrong.

You OWN your phone. And you OWN the right to install software on your phone. You OWN the right to modify your registry. ICS and PAM are two different things. Comcast would prefer that you PAY for every device that connects to their internet whether on one modem or not. But the fact is that a router allows you to SHARE the one connection you have and essentially make it one. This is PERFECTLY legal. Comcast can also decide to shut you off if they dont like how you are using the bandwidth. Same holds true with your phone service. ICS is basically allowing you to pass the data that you PAY for in your plan... down a usb wire to your PC. This is not theft. It is just cleverness. And it is functionality that is being provided within the OS. If it was illegal, MS would not make it easy. And if your phone carrier was concerned, they would encrypt and key the PAM service in such a way that it would be impossible to use without paying.
No. You get the phone at a discounted price when you sign an agreement. The carrier gets the "discounted price" back throughout the 2 years of your service agreement. At the end of the service agreement the phone is yours.

And Unlimited Data is data to your device. Once it gets to your device and continues on to another device, there is an additional term for that. PhoneAsModem.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:30 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

DWhite456 is a n00b

I think you all have a little too much time on your hands. Especially posting this twice to get attention and once in the wmwifi thread. Try and get over it and mmove on. kwim? I am having trouble trying to figure out exactly what you need out of this thread other than to argue. Take it up with the mods if you believe in your cause.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Eat Static
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

popdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIP

My personal opinion is that the carriers don't enforce their tethering policies simply because it's hard to prove. It's one thing to say your data usage was extremely high for a month. It's another thing to say it's because of tethering. Excessive data usage will usually get you a warning or two before any action occurs.

If anyone is interested, here's the entire current Sprint Subscriber Agreement:

http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popu...msPrivacy.html
Old 02-22-2009, 12:32 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

edit: The "discounted price" brought about the "Termination Fee". The termination fee recoups the discounted price btw... And everyone now know's that the etf is prorated on new agreements.

And once you pay the ETF, the equipment is yours... Had to throw that in there. Been selling phones since 1992. Yeah, bricks back then...
Old 02-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWhite456 View Post
I think you all have a little too much time on your hands. Especially posting this twice to get attention and once in the wmwifi thread. Try and get over it and mmove on. kwim? I am having trouble trying to figure out exactly what you need out of this thread other than to argue. Take it up with the mods if you believe in your cause.
my reply iin the wmwifi thread is what sparked my thought process in this.. and what do u care how i spend my time.. dont post if you dont want to i guess i say to you in a plain voice..

and apparently you dont read the threads very thouroughly... what am i trying to accomplish? getting all the current threads on the subject removed and future talks/posts banned..

why dont i goto the mods? its basically a petition here, hearin what people on the site really believe about this... im sure the mods need/want more tha just my opinion on the issue.. but hey, Thanks for caring how i spend my time..
Old 02-22-2009, 12:40 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

DWhite456 is a n00b

I would have to say it is not a petition if you are arguing with people who are posting their opinion. correct. I could also say the same to you about reading the tethering threads. Dont go into them if you are tired of reading them.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
edit: The "discounted price" brought about the "Termination Fee". The termination fee recoups the discounted price btw... And everyone now know's that the etf is prorated on new agreements.

And once you pay the ETF, the equipment is yours... Had to throw that in there. Been selling phones since 1992. Yeah, bricks back then...
this is why staring 2010 i think i read was the year, all phones have to be unlockable.. so that once our contract is done or we pay eft, the device is ours and we should be able to take it to any carrier we want... thank the government for stepping in and putting that through and into effect..
Old 02-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWhite456 View Post
I would have to say it is not a petition if you are arguing with people who are posting their opinion. correct. I could also say the same to you about reading the tethering threads. Dont go into them if you are tired of reading them.
i almost always answer those polietly and give them the neccessary info to get what they want... so yeah, next please...

and ok sorry, this is a FORUM, a visual petition of a topic in this case.. and since when have you not heard arguments presented in the case of a petition, if it were signable and u didnt wanna sign You or the other person would argue why or why not you would or wouldnt sign it.... so asking people to elborate their points a little further isnt really doing anything wrong
Old 02-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, TP2, Pre, Pixi

newone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuff

Posting hacked programs is warez because you are posting programs that you are supposed to pay for. ICS is a free program therefore it is not warez. Now what you do WITH ICS is a different story, but how can posting the free program itself be illegal??

same concept as bit torrent clients are not illegal but you can do illegal stuff with them. Or a super nintendo emulator is not illegal but you can play illegal roms with it. Get what I'm tryin to say??
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions