PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

DalesWife is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Using GoDaddy (or other paid email address) with a Sprint Smart Phone

Hi Everybody!

I've come to ppcgeeks for alot of information and have always been the "user". I'm posting this just hoping that maybe I can help somebody else out who has a Sprint Smart Phone.

Sprint discontinued their email addresses at the end of last year, so unless you had a popular, free email address like AOL or GMail, you couldn't send emails from your phone. I've gone round and round with Sprint to no avail. I have spent hours at the local Sprint store and even had the technicians there call GoDaddy, who hosts my domain and where I have my email address. Nobody has been able to fix this issue.

I could GET email, but not SEND email - which negates the purpose of having the phone. When an email does come to my phone, I have to drive home or to the nearest place possible to send a reply....or launch opera or internet explorer. I could not reply via the envelope icon on the home page of my HTC Touch Pro.

The best advice I got at the Sprint Store was to discontinue using my GoDaddy account and start using GMail or AOL. That is SO not acceptable, since my email is ME@MYBUSINESSNAME.COM.

If you're having the same problem call Sprint Tier II Technical Support (877.345.7895) and ask them to set you up with a User Name and Password for the outgoing mail server. Even though they discontinued this for the "masses", the CAN and WILL set up one for you if you call and ask. Even the techs at the local Sprint store were NOT aware of this!

You cannot send the email unless you have a sprint email address. Outgoing email must go through the Sprint server in order to be sent, while incoming mail does not.

The rest of the settings you will need (for GODADDY) are below...for other providers you'll have to call, but the Sprint info below may be helpful:

EMAIL SET UP
Email Address: You @ Your GoDaddy Domain.com
Your Password: the password you use to access your go daddy account
Check SAVE PASSWORD
Click NEXT

UNCLICK TRY TO GET EMAIL SETTINGS AUTOMATICALLY FROM THE INTERNET. Click NEXT.

Your Email Provider: Internet Email
Click Next

Your Name: Dales Wife
Account Display Name: 'GoDaddy Email" or whatever you'd like to call it so you can identify this account (you can have several email accounts sent to your phone).
Click NEXT

Incoming Mail Server: pop.secureserver.net
Account Type: POP3
Click NEXT

User Name: Again enter You@ Your GoDaddy Domain.com
Password: Enter your password Again
Check SAVE PASSWORD

Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server: smtp.sprintpcs.com
CHECK Outgoing server requires authentication
UNCHECK Use the same user name and password for sending email

Advanced Server Settings:
DO NOT Check Require SSL for Incoming e-mail
DO NOT Check: Require SSL for Outgoing e-mail
Click DONE to return to previous screen
Click NEXT

Outgoing Server Login: TheNameGivenTo You@sprintpcs.com
Password: When you call Sprint Tier II they will ask you what password you'd like.
Check Save Password.

Automatic Send/Receive: I use every 5 minutes and it doesn't seem to run my battery down.
Click FINISH.

The email address you're give @sprintpcs.com will never show up on any email you send to anyone - that will simply log you onto Sprint's server. When you receive a reply it will not go to the @sprintpcs.com, it will come directly to your email inbox. Everything appears to come from YOU@YOUREMAILADDRESS. After you set this up, you can virtually forget the information - though I would recommend saving it somewhere, it is alot of information.

FYI: My email address with GoDaddy is a POP3, not an IMAP.

This has been driving me crazy for two months now so I really hope this information helps somebody else out, since you all have helped me out so many times in the past. Best of luck!

Last edited by DalesWife; 02-12-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

dtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuff
Re: Using GoDaddy (or other paid email address) with a Sprint Smart Phone

Am I missing something here? Isn't this just the normal email setup? I use one free and one paid email account and never have had any trouble setting them up to work with Sprint...receiving or sending.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Yeah, it's godaddy that's the problem here, not sprint.

They should allow you to authenticate with their email server for sending.

I like godaddy for cheap domain names and tawdry ads, but apparently they don't know how to provide email services.

You might find this blog post interesting.

http://mike-thomson.com/blog/?p=30

That's one way to get imap email without changing your domain name!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

DalesWife is just getting started

DTNDVN: I don't know if you're missing something or not - all I know is that since they did away with email addresses I could not send email from my phone. Sprint blamed GoDaddy, GoDaddy blamed Sprint. Nothing was resolved even when they spoke with each other - I was just advised by both that I would not be able to access my POP3 paid GoDaddy email via my Sprint phone. Sprint said that GoDaddy was not accepting my emails and was instead sending them to a "spamhaus" - GoDaddy said they weren't blocking anything and that I needed to use Sprint's server for sending rather than theirs.

Like I said, my email is now working - sending and receiving. I googled the problem and there are tons of websites with people with the same exact problem. I was just trying to help out anybody on PPCGeeks who may have had the same problem.

schettj: Thanks for the link - it's definitely helpful info that I didn't know about. I usually focus more on my business than the functions of the phone so this is probably a better option for me that I would have never known of. Thanks so much!

Last edited by DalesWife; 02-12-2009 at 11:59 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

Colino is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Colino

I have a GoDaddy email account, and I had the same problem. I could receive mail but not send it. I fixed the issue by adding the port numbers to the incoming and outgoing mail servers.

Incoming mail server: pop.secureserver.net:110
Outgoing mail server: smtpout.secureserver.net:80
Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo 800W

Lauraskytec is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Lauraskytec
Unhappy Re: Using GoDaddy (or other paid email address) with a Sprint Smart Phone

Hello,

I just bought a Palm Treo 800W and have done every step you mentioned, I even called sprint tier II to get my password for my sprint email but I am still not able to send out email, I can receive them but not send them. Please help.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Lurker

Lauraskytec is a n00b
Unhappy Re: Using GoDaddy (or other paid email address) with a Sprint Smart Phone

I have followed all steps you mentioned and have even called Sprint Tier II and got my password for my Sprint email but I am still not able to send out emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWife View Post
Hi Everybody!

I've come to ppcgeeks for alot of information and have always been the "user". I'm posting this just hoping that maybe I can help somebody else out who has a Sprint Smart Phone.

Sprint discontinued their email addresses at the end of last year, so unless you had a popular, free email address like AOL or GMail, you couldn't send emails from your phone. I've gone round and round with Sprint to no avail. I have spent hours at the local Sprint store and even had the technicians there call GoDaddy, who hosts my domain and where I have my email address. Nobody has been able to fix this issue.

I could GET email, but not SEND email - which negates the purpose of having the phone. When an email does come to my phone, I have to drive home or to the nearest place possible to send a reply....or launch opera or internet explorer. I could not reply via the envelope icon on the home page of my HTC Touch Pro.

The best advice I got at the Sprint Store was to discontinue using my GoDaddy account and start using GMail or AOL. That is SO not acceptable, since my email is ME@MYBUSINESSNAME.COM.

If you're having the same problem call Sprint Tier II Technical Support (877.345.7895) and ask them to set you up with a User Name and Password for the outgoing mail server. Even though they discontinued this for the "masses", the CAN and WILL set up one for you if you call and ask. Even the techs at the local Sprint store were NOT aware of this!

You cannot send the email unless you have a sprint email address. Outgoing email must go through the Sprint server in order to be sent, while incoming mail does not.

The rest of the settings you will need (for GODADDY) are below...for other providers you'll have to call, but the Sprint info below may be helpful:

EMAIL SET UP
Email Address: You @ Your GoDaddy Domain.com
Your Password: the password you use to access your go daddy account
Check SAVE PASSWORD
Click NEXT

UNCLICK TRY TO GET EMAIL SETTINGS AUTOMATICALLY FROM THE INTERNET. Click NEXT.

Your Email Provider: Internet Email
Click Next

Your Name: Dales Wife
Account Display Name: 'GoDaddy Email" or whatever you'd like to call it so you can identify this account (you can have several email accounts sent to your phone).
Click NEXT

Incoming Mail Server: pop.secureserver.net
Account Type: POP3
Click NEXT

User Name: Again enter You@ Your GoDaddy Domain.com
Password: Enter your password Again
Check SAVE PASSWORD

Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server: smtp.sprintpcs.com
CHECK Outgoing server requires authentication
UNCHECK Use the same user name and password for sending email

Advanced Server Settings:
DO NOT Check Require SSL for Incoming e-mail
DO NOT Check: Require SSL for Outgoing e-mail
Click DONE to return to previous screen
Click NEXT

Outgoing Server Login: TheNameGivenTo You@sprintpcs.com
Password: When you call Sprint Tier II they will ask you what password you'd like.
Check Save Password.

Automatic Send/Receive: I use every 5 minutes and it doesn't seem to run my battery down.
Click FINISH.

The email address you're give @sprintpcs.com will never show up on any email you send to anyone - that will simply log you onto Sprint's server. When you receive a reply it will not go to the @sprintpcs.com, it will come directly to your email inbox. Everything appears to come from YOU@YOUREMAILADDRESS. After you set this up, you can virtually forget the information - though I would recommend saving it somewhere, it is alot of information.

FYI: My email address with GoDaddy is a POP3, not an IMAP.

This has been driving me crazy for two months now so I really hope this information helps somebody else out, since you all have helped me out so many times in the past. Best of luck!
Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Lurker

Sprint ATS is a n00b

Dear sprint cust I will like to info you that this issue is with Go daddy and not sprint if you have any question please give us a call so please stop blaming sprint go complain to your GO Daddy
Old 02-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Lurker

Lauraskytec is a n00b

not blaming anyone.....just aking for help and advice, try not to be so negative with your replies and instead treat people like you would like to be treated.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:32 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint ATS View Post
Dear sprint cust I will like to info you that this issue is with Go daddy and not sprint if you have any question please give us a call so please stop blaming sprint go complain to your GO Daddy
No need to be rude with people here. I didn't read anything that should be construed as complaining.

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions