PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sitting on an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
Just wrap that bad boy in 1 pound of foil and you'll be ok! As long as the phone is wrapped...you'll know that you're in "flight mode".

late,
Coz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude_b23 View Post
if you don't have a roll of aluminum foil handy, just go to wendy's (any fastfood) and order about 20 burgers, keep the foil wrappers, thats about 1 lb of foil
Assuming you could get through security with that much foil in your carry on Personally, I think you'd be in a back room trying to clean up after a more invasive security check and quickly tying to pull up Coz and jude's posts on your TP to show them where the idea came from!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

jude_b23 is keeping up the good workjude_b23 is keeping up the good work

i also carry a bowling ball carrier for toting it around the airport...

that picture was for 3 phones @ 1lb per phone...standard stuff
Old 01-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTV EVO
Carrier: VZW

caleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to caleb02 Send a message via MSN to caleb02 Send a message via Yahoo to caleb02

i found when flying the last time i was told the whole device could not be on and had to remove the battery as the device did not have a true on off switch like a light bulb. Seems as if the flight crew could care less about flight mode. they want all electronic devices on south west turned off at all times flew from denver to midway in chicago
Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

They have flights in Europe that allow limited cell phone use now, just thought I should bring that up. I also vaguely remembering GSM for some reason interferes with some radios because they share similar frequencies, which is weird because Europe is covered almost entirely by GSM networks.

Modern airplanes have all their electronics shielded anyway. Though as the pilot and flight attendant mentioned, its best to follow the rules and put your phone in flight mode as to make everyones job easier. Leaving the phones radio on is only going to drain battery since reception is essentially nonexistent at cruising altitudes. Absolutely unnecessary to ensure the phone is completely off, though I remember always hearing on the loudspeaker that they wanted everything turned off during take off and landing even things like gameboys. Oh well, the FAA is probably one of the most conservative/cautious regulatory body in the government, but I guess thats why air travel in the US is even safer than driving right?

Last edited by Darkjedi; 01-28-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved to General Discussion Forum.

late,
Coz
Old 01-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

markppc6700 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to markppc6700

southwest LOLLLLLLLLLLL thats y they work for that airline because they dont know better

Well i will tell you this much after u reach cruising altitude ur phone doesnt get service(i know this because it happened to me about 4times +/- lol ). I normally do a last email download before the plane takes off and wait until the flight attendants gets pissed before i have to hold down the power button and turn off the phone completely, once i am at cruising altitude i turn it back on put it in flight mode(to be a nice guy) , read my emails and then sleep.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:57 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb02 View Post
Seems as if the flight crew could care less about flight mode. they want all electronic devices on south west turned off at all times flew from denver to midway in chicago
Weird. Last SW flight for me was Vegas/SJC round trip, and they said "flight mode" on both legs.

Not that they would know anyway, unless you're waving it in the air screaming OOOH LOOK ITS IN FLIGHT MODE! YAH! Before takeoff. Just keep it in your pants Otherwise it looks like every other media playing doohicky on the plane. On our flight that was about 2-3 items per person.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: Srint

AD8001 is a n00b
Smile Re: Sitting on an airplane

As a captain for a major airline for 8 years and a pilot for about 30 years, I agree with "dlink72's" post. I have an FCC license and also an FAA airframe and powerplant (aircraft mechanic) license. Most of us including the flight attendants try to be reasonable if the passengers are reasonable. It’s usually the blow-hard that’s screaming so loudly into his phone that he completely blocks the safety announcements made by the flight attendants that cause more harsh actions to be taken.

On most occasions if you wait until things settle a bit, kindly explaining your phone’s “flight mode” to the FA’s will likely result in your permission to resume its use. Takeoff and landing operation is possible from the standpoint that you could lock on to a tower, but imagine if you missed critical information during a Hudson River ditching because you were trying to arrange for a couple pounds of foil to replace the wad that Bubba confiscated as you cleared security? This is not to mention that the devices are NOT shielded and could become sources of ignition for misting jet fuel in event of a fuel cell rupture.

Even in uniform the FA’s seldom cut us any slack, so I do carry for my own personal protection and peace of mind my very own pound and a half of aluminum foil (sans the melted cheese and wilted onions) to gently and lovingly wrap my TP. My ppc6700 is tough and doesn’t need this kind of coddling, and besides the battery dies in about 20 minutes now anyhow….

Climb power, flaps up, vnav.. Where’s the river… Life’s good!

Last edited by AD8001; 01-28-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-2009, 02:33 AM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

D@mn that was a lot of typing, almost did want to finish reading it.

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: Srint

AD8001 is a n00b
Smile Re: Sitting on an airplane

I bet my old Devil Dog buds at the Marine House in Cairo would have read it all, especially if Gunny said so!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions