PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 PM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive
Re: Sitting on an airplane

I always put into flight mode, push and hold the power button to turn off the phone completely and then put in my special pouch in my laptop backpack that I know won't get hit or move during flight because of all the padding (so it won't turn back on). If I decide to pull it out and use it or if my laptop battery dies after 4+ hours, I'll turn on the TP knowing that I put it into flight mode prior to turning off.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

slopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

MythBusters tested it.... cell phones have no effect on modern airplane electronics.

I understand paying attention to the pre-flight safety info etc but... I dunno, I can't stand it when I'm in flight (ABOVE cruising altitude) and some flight attendant tells me to turn off my phone (when its in flight mode) and I'm playing a game or listening to music.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

rshyffer is a n00b

What about sliding the keyboard out? On mine if it is just in standby, sliding out the keyboard activates it, and this shouldn't turn it on.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

jude_b23 is keeping up the good workjude_b23 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
MythBusters tested it.... cell phones have no effect on modern airplane electronics.

I understand paying attention to the pre-flight safety info etc but... I dunno, I can't stand it when I'm in flight (ABOVE cruising altitude) and some flight attendant tells me to turn off my phone (when its in flight mode) and I'm playing a game or listening to music.
it has no effect on the airplanes functions, but mythbusters say it might cause interference, while the pilot communicates with the traffic controllers, thats why they turn off electronics before take off and landing.

personally i'd like my pilot to have the clearest possible communication with the flight crew downstairs
Old 01-28-2009, 05:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

LoneSnark is keeping up the good workLoneSnark is keeping up the good work

If the radio is on there is a chance in hell it might cause intereference. As such, put the phone in flight mode and be done with it. Turning the phone completely off offers no benefits above putting the phone to sleep with the radios off. When the phone is in flight mode it is no different than any regular MP3 player. Feel free to watch movies, play games, or type a letter while in flight.

As with MP3 players and laptops, put it to sleep and stowed for take off and landing as the plane might crash and we don't want you fiddling with putting your phone away when that happens.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: T-Mobile

LittleBreezes is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to LittleBreezes

Hi all, I am blind so I often wonder if my Touch pro is turned off or is just in sleep mode. One way I like to check is by sliding out the keyboard. One of two things will happen. If the phone wakes up and comes to life then I know it was in sleep mode. If absolutely nothing happens then I know the phone is actually powered off. In reality the only to totally power off a PPC is to pull the battery. But for our intents and purposes the above technique will determine if it is turned off.
Frank

f[quot=jgirvine;673924]Well, thanks for the quick posts, but we don't have an answer. First, I hate to break it to yall, but Airplane Mode is not the answer. A phone has to be TOTALLY off for take off and landing, then once in the air the phone can be turned back on and put into Airplane mode. The problem I run into is the phone is off, I don't know that. I hit the button on top Hoping it is gonna pop up the warning that I am turning it off, but instead, the phone is already off, and now it is turning on. Is there no way to wake up a sleeping phone without hitting the on/off button on the top????
Thanks[/quote]
Old 01-28-2009, 05:44 PM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive

Quote:

Some flight attendants actually say to put your phones in flight mode. A couple Southwest flights I've been on in the past year have said that...
Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:

yeah few things anger me more than an uninformed flight attendant wigging out on me because i have my phone 'on' .... i just kindly point out the 300 other passengers using laptops all around me if they want to press the issue.

think about it, if my $600 phone can bring down or interfere with your $25 million dollar jet liner... lol

I can barely get a strong signal on the GROUND in Leesburg at times... you think i can get a cell signal @ 25000 feet?!?! tsk tsk tsk...

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgirvine View Post
Well, thanks for the quick posts, but we don't have an answer. First, I hate to break it to yall, but Airplane Mode is not the answer. A phone has to be TOTALLY off for take off and landing, then once in the air the phone can be turned back on and put into Airplane mode.
Actually, flight mode and sleeping is sufficient per the FAA. If you must power it off completely (anal-retentive flight attendants?) Then press and hold power until you get the warning, then tap OK, then remove battery. Throw battery out window for extra safety.

Be sure to remove and throw all watches, pacemakers, laptops, and so forth - along with the in-flight entertainment linux PCs, out the window as well.

There is no way to check if the touch pro is powered down, since it's powered down. You could point at the empty battery bay and say "duh" if they ask to prove it.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Actually, flight mode and sleeping is sufficient per the FAA. If you must power it off completely (anal-retentive flight attendants?) Then press and hold power until you get the warning, then tap OK, then remove battery. Throw battery out window for extra safety.

Be sure to remove and throw all watches, pacemakers, laptops, and so forth - along with the in-flight entertainment linux PCs, out the window as well.

There is no way to check if the touch pro is powered down, since it's powered down. You could point at the empty battery bay and say "duh" if they ask to prove it.
ok i was with you until the last sentence... THAT is just a tad bit excessive me thinks!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions