PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Can predictive text be disabled for block input? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=53216)

miamicanes 01-14-2009 06:30 PM

Can predictive text be disabled for block input?

How do you turn OFF all predictive input for block input under WM6.1? Back with 6.0, there were a few apps (SMS, for one) that insisted upon using it despite my preference settings to the contrary, but now it seems like 6.1 just ignores my settings entirely and uses predictive input EVERYWHERE.

Phone: Sprint Touch
ROM: official 6.1, downloaded from Sprint sometime around mid-October.

How to replicate:

1. make block input the default SIP
2. Launch Internet Explorer (or Opera, or Notes, or...)
3. Tap in the URL area
4. Tap the stylus icon to bring up the soft input panel
5. Begin entering "www"... as soon as the first "w" is entered, a dark gray window appears directly above the soft input panel with its guesses. The letters themselves don't get transferred to the url bar until I write a space or return... and occasionally it feels perfectly entitled to silently ignore what I typed and go with its guess instead. Argh.

My settings:
settings/input->Input Method Tab:
Input method: block recognizer
Options: there are (allegedly) no options

settings/input->Word Completion tab: everything unchecked and/or greyed out

miamicanes 01-14-2009 07:23 PM

Re: Can predictive text be disabled for block input?

Yay, victory. After a few false starts, I think I finally found a way to disable it. So... for anyone who finds this thread in the future, here's the solution.

Apparently, Microsoft, HTC, and/or Sprint decided to make XT9 the default across the board with WM6.1 for the Touch. To disable it, edit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Layouts\e0010409]
set "Layout Text" = "COMP IME"
set "Ime File"="compime.dll"
set "Keyboard Layout"="00000409" (probably ok as it is)

then soft reset.

If you're someday feeling masochistic and want to re-enable it, just to remind yourself why you disabled it in the first place:

set "Ime File"="\\windows\\eT9ime.dll"
set "Layout Text"="eT9 IME"
set "Keyboard Layout"="00000409"

I'm not 100% sure about the double-slashes in "Ime File"... I didn't look very hard before changing it, but I could have sworn the original value used single backslashes.

It still insists on capitalizing the first letter, but for now I can live with that. I'm almost afraid to jinx myself, but as a happy side effect, the block input panel seems to have quit thinking that just about every letter I type is supposed to be a weird extended European language character (before, it endlessly kept thinking I wanted letters like the merged-together "ce", the "c with a tail", etc).